VHS vs DVD

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ayahuasca, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

Your an idiot.

Dude111 likes this.
  2. crud3w4re

crud3w4re I like Grunge.

DVD's!!!

3. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

HD all the way...I'm poor so I want the quality but with a less hefty price tag.

4. Imagine11

Imagine11 Member

Wow. I did not know that. [​IMG]

5. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

DVD, they're pretty :)

6. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

VHS contains gelatin which is not vegetarian/vegan! so i don't use them

DVDs are much better in most every way! plus they are animal friendly

7. twiztidrainbow

twiztidrainbow Senior Member

8. Minibyte

Minibyte Member

I'll take DVD any day

9. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

Imagine, that might be the ugliest dog I have ever seen.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

beta, if sony hadn't screwed itself and all of us by keeping it propritory. as the have tended to do with so many things. just like a certain cyber fruit i'll refrain from naming.

=^^=
    .../\...

11. nashy61

nashy61 Member

DVD rocks my world.

12. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

As an old-timer, (I remember using Beta-Max) I gotta say, I prefer DVD.
    I get better Video, and sound. Here's an obvious PLUS to DVD's. They don't get destroyed like VHS tape does. (But then, I'm experienced in 8-track tape repair. By necessity...)

13. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Tape has an advantage in that it is sequential media. It doesn't rely on an allocation table which when corrupted can cause a loss of the entire disk. Digital tape is a sort of compromise between VHS and DVD.

The electronic news gathering equipment such as professional camcorders still use digital DVCAM tape and will probably stick with that for the foreseeable future over DVD media. Recording to DVD on a camcorder requires more compression with the current state of the media. Data on tape is compressed in DV format but not compressed nearly as much as DVD. A large amount of high quality video data can be stored on a small DV tape.

I still prefer DVD over VHS when it comes to the small size, better video quality, and easy access. S-VHS is pretty good. I have some high end S-VHS recorders that give near DVD quality.

14. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Beta was a good system, both video and audio. Sony marketed it the wrong way. BetaCams were a mainstay in the ENG industry for many years. Some people still like the analog system over digital as it gives a softer image compared with DVCAM tape.

15. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I grew up with VHS too, but I must admit I love DVD's. Especially alternate endings and deleted scenes. I couldn't give a damn about director's comments or anything else...

16. Airfern1313

Airfern1313 Member

I grew up with vhs but dvds are much better. Simply not having to rewind is great.

17. mondoglove

mondoglove Member

what i like most about dvd (besides the obvious improvement in quality) is that the viewer is presented with a lot of information about the making on the film (provided it's a decent dvd). the interested viewer can therefore increase their knowledge of pretty much the entire film-making process, and understand why a script is good, or why it isn't, etc.

the ability to navigate through the contents is also a huge advantage, but i'm sure everyone here has had nightmares with this, too. what i don't understand is that the digital media giants knowingly began another format war. idiots....

18. Neo-hippie

Neo-hippie Member

is this for real? the DVD is a million time better for movie buffs for sure!
    apart from the better HD sound & vision, it 's got the special features etc, i love those, they just got to be there is they want me to buy the damn DVD.
    man, is one is to rewind the old video 2 or 3 times and the sound is as good as gone.
    nope i voted DVD on this one.

Peace

19. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes but they arent as natural an experience..... I love VHS and I always have :)

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

DVDs are more convenient and better quality but I miss the size of a good old VHS box, it was a great shelf filler. DVDs are all shapes and different sixes these days they never match in the shelf, leaving it U G L Y it's ugly.