veggie diet but not veggie lifestyle

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by squawkers7, Jan 9, 2005.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

There are a few people that I know that eat vegetarian diets because of health reasons.
    They like animals and have had pets (past & present), but they still like to wear silk & leather clothes.They don't seem to care (or know) if their household products & make-up supplies were tested on animals or have animal products in them.
    Are there alot of veggies like this? How common is this?

2. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

I suppose I would fall into that category, to a degree.

My reasons for not eating meat have more to do with ecology and sustainability. The killing of an individual animal is nto something that I find morally wrong; however, I am opposed to the massive scale of the cruelty on factory farms.

I don't like spraying noxious chemicals around my house, so it's pretty unlikely that the stuff I use -- baking soda, vinegar, amonia, etc - are animal tested. I rarely wear make-up, and haven't researched what is tested on animals and what is not. Pretty much all of the clothes I buy are second-hand, so silk and leather aren't really issues for me.

People have all sorts of reasons for the choices they make; I'm often surprised in the same way at vegetarians who eat tons of overly packaged, overly processed convenience foods, or who will happily shop at Walmart.

*shrug*

We all have our reasons and our choices, I guess.

3. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Most vegetarians I know are in this category; when you use nothing animal-related at all it's called vegan, not vegetarian. They wear leather (we have several vegetarians at work, but no vegans... you pretty much have to use leather when working with us -history theme park where the oldest period is from before we had woven cloth, and even the later periods still use lots of leather in assesories), and several even eat fish. Their most important reasons are indeed health, and often also how animals are treated -most fish swim free until they're caught, most meat animals spent their lives cooped up in small barns or feedlots.

4. Kiz

Kiz Member

How many times do I have to say this on this site? Vegetarians do not eat fish. If someone eats fish they are not a vegetarians. I'm going to get it tattooed on my head one day, I swear.....

5. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Hehehe! yeh it annoys me too!:p If you eat fish you eat meat.. so are therefore an omni in my book

6. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Yup. Simplest question to help you work out if something's vegetarian - "did it have parents?".

7. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

They call themselves vegetarians and I don't personally care so I'll stick with what they call themselves. Don't mean to offend anyone.

8. Claire

Claire Senior Member

I don't think anyone was having at go at you Myranya:)

9. DoktorAtomik

I could call myself a Turkish virgin, but it wouldn't make it so.

10. Claire

Claire Senior Member

we don't want to hear about your sordid little fantasies:p

11. DoktorAtomik

If that's how you feel, can I have the costume back please? :p

12. Claire

Claire Senior Member

hehehehe:p

13. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

Well this thread has taken a naughty turn... I shan't get caught up in your debauchery! I'll just reply to the topic, hehe... [​IMG]

I don't really know that many veggies other than myself, well I know maybe 8, but my everyday friends that I hang out with regularly aren't veggies at all. But of my veggie friends, one that wears leather and silk, a few who are just total crunchy granolaheads, one who volunteers in a animal shelter, and one who eats the most incredibly processed crap food ever and still stays skinny as a nail.

veggies come in all shapes and sizes and have all different kinds of beliefs. Not all veggies follow the same lifestyle, just like most coffee addicts don't.

We're all different!! YAY!! [​IMG]

14. DoktorAtomik

I dunno how you can say thay while waving that thumb around :p

15. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

If you intend to comment every time it comes up, I suspect you'll have to say it a whole lot more times. (I wouldn't recommend the tattoo, though... facial tattoos are hard to carry off, for the most part :p ).

The reason is, not everyone agrees with you.

Omni = all. I don't think someone who eats fish, but declines to eat poultry, pork, beef, etc. can accurately be described as omnivorous. Pescatarian is closer, but few people know what it means. If we're going to insist on precise definitions, partial or semi-vegetarian works best, imo.

I like DiffKettleOfFish's take on it all:

16. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

um sorry trees have parents.
    and all those little seeds in that tomato, were made so to spawn more tomatoes.
    someone on the communal living wrote about not living life by another's leave, and not perpetuating the slaughter of a whole world, not just livestock. This includes gasoline, cotton cloth, bananas, diapers, down comforters and so so sos ososososos many other things. It has to be individual choices making a global impact. So I would ask, did your leather come second hand, and if so who does the money support? Do you know where the money's going? (So like I would feel comfortable buying leather shoes at a Deseret Industries) I would ask, did your leather come from a handcrafter, a Native American, or a friend who you trust to harvest it in a sustainable, ecologically sound and compassionate manner? If so, did you barter/trade for it or did you pay money? If money, do you know where the money's going? Is that person going to go to Walmart and buy sweatshop underwear? I would finally ask did you buy that leather from a big box retailer, and if so, you can call yourself vegetarian all you want but you are no friend to the environment.

Anyway, I would like to put myself back on a path to sustainability without completely removing myself from society. I would like to support charity, ecology and progress and not necessarily only an ideal of food consumption. We are all a work in progress and if we can help each other change one thing on the path toward sustainable living on this planet, we will be doing a good thing.
    Especially you youth, you may be responsible for changing more than one thing if we want this planet to survive until the sun dies.
    How many of you righteous are buying lighters at 7-11? How many are driving gasoline cars? How many are staying in hotels or taking 20 minute hot showers?
    I eat meat every once in a while so I don't say I'm vegetarian but I do prefer vegetarian food and do what I can. I take short showers and reuse the leftover water to clean the bathroom. I walk instead of drive. I shop at the Deseret Industries or make my own clothes from Deseret Industries cloth. 'Course right now, typing these words, I am using resources through electricity but plan to run off solar energy for me and my family in 5 years. I use hair dye, and drink soda. I use cloth diapers at home but those nasty paper ones when all of them are drying or I'm going out. I am soooo far from perfect and y'all can call me names if you want. But I try to be nice :) <------------ see I'm smiling. If I were a vegetarian I would welcome all who were interested with open arms, and smiling emoticons
    On the internet that's hard I just hope y'all are kind IRL even when someone says they eat fish. I'd ask sweetly, "do you catch them in the lake or river?" And if they buy it at the store: what store? Do you know where they get their fish? Do they use an oceanliner running off coal/gas, and freezer freighters to transport? And if they say "why oh why are you asking me all these questions? Who cares?" and just say "I wanted to know. I'm curious where all the stuff we consume comes from. I like to know so I can choose the absolute best, as is, in my mind, an obligation I have for future generations."
    Maybe the length of my post will deter any mean replies. ;)
    becca

17. DoktorAtomik

That's just being pedantic.

18. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

You're right, that's another flaw of mine-- but I won't use it-- I like "if it has a face" better, or "if you look at it, and it looks back" or jsut the dictionary definition, it's longer but actually accurate which none other little saying I've heard is.
    veg·e·tar·i·an·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vj-târ--nzm)
    n.
    The practice of subsisting on a diet composed primarily or wholly of vegetables, grains, fruits, nuts, and seeds, with or without eggs and dairy products.

[Download or Buy Now]
    Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

veg·e·tar·i·an·ism (vj-târ--nzm)
    n.

The practice of subsisting on a diet composed primarily or wholly of vegetables, grains, fruits, nuts, and seeds, with or without eggs and dairy products.

Source: The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
    Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Main Entry: veg·e·tar·i·an·ism
    Pronunciation: -E-&-"niz-&m
    Function: noun
    : the theory or practice of living on a diet made up of vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes animal products (as milk and cheese)

Source: Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

vegetarianism

n : a diet excluding all meat and fish

19. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

ya, there are alot of vegetarins like this. it's because it'd "easier" and people have "wasted" thier money on anoimals products nad think they should continue to wear them. i';m hoping to transfer the studs and stuff from my lether things to my non leather things. i havnt had time, but i stopped wearing the leather things. i wish i could fins the exact same vegan things!

20. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

some ar ejust skipping meat (and that really is the point) because of health issues.
    Personally I don't care WHY someone spares sentient eyeball life. Just that they do.