veggie burgers?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by babovic_sonja, May 22, 2004.

1. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

I'd just like to see what y'all think of them... I've found that a lot of vegetarians rather like them, but, uhhhh, I don't know *shrugs* the ones that I've tried, out of restaurants (and I'm getting increasingly tired of the Burger King veggie burger), have been just *godawful*...

First I tried Morningstar, which wasn't quite that bad, it was alright if I put loads of ketchup on it, but it had a kind of cardboardy texture, which I had to disguise by putting loads of ketchup on it...

Then... Boca burgers... *double puke* OK, they aren't as bad as meat burgers, but they're close. First off, they have a similar (almost identical) taste to meat... it appealed to me before (when I still sort of liked the taste of meat, even though I didn't eat it), but now it just grosses me out, in a really, really creepy sort of way. Plus, uhhhh, Kraft... what else is there to say?

The veggie burger at McDonald's isn't that bad, except it kind of falls apart and the stuff they put around it is always reeeally stale (tomatoes etc.)

I've found one decent veggie burger, at this cool restaurant... but the thing is, it's really far away, so I can't exactly go there every day, plus I thought it'd be kind of rude to ask where they get them from...

All in all... I'm disappointed in veggie burgers... but before I completely give up on them, does anybody know any that taste halfway decent and aren't made by Kraft and can be found in the supermarket?

Thanks loads ;-)

Sonja

2. minjeig

minjeig Member

I've always bought the yves veggi burgers, I think heard somewhere that those are the ones that they use at mcdonalds, but I could just be making that up...

If you like the ones at restaurants then you should definately ask them where they were bought! Then tell me because I need new food :p

Lick's also has really good veggi burgers, (do they have Lick's where you are?)

3. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I like boca burgers - well, at least, the ones I had with my father. I hadn't had any kind of veggie burgers in awhile, but often on the weekends, my father and I would have boca burgers, and I had no problems with the taste. I don't know if I can get veggie burgers in Japan.

4. dotadave

dotadave Member

McDonald's has veggie burgers? I've never seen those before.

5. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

lol, me neither. Nor have they arrived at BK.

You could try making your own burgers..I've found that to be the eaisest - and you get much more variety - you can have bean, chickpea, tofu, lentil.....mmmmm :)

6. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

I thought they had veggie burgers at McDonald's and Burger King everywhere! Oooooh, maybe I should feel lucky :D

7. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

I remember an ad for mcdonalds, which had a bohemian dreadlocked looking guy in it eating a vegie burger, saying something along the lines of

"now there's something for everybody"

Now I'm sorry, but if youre morally against meat consumption, eating at mcdonalds seems so stupid, I mean just cos youre not eating the meat that they cook on the hotplate next to your veggie pattie, doesnt make it any better.
    Mcdonalds still mass murder cows and chickens in unimaginable quantities, they still expolit workers, they still lie to the public and they still do away with small food shop enterprise...

GRRR they make me mad.

If you really are morally against eating meat, dont eat at maccas.

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I eat bks veggies every now and then. They're decent, I guess. I like morningstar and boca and gardenburger. I think my favorite sustitute foods are Morningstar's chik nugs w/ Montgomery Inn bbq sauce and their mini-corn dogs. Mmmmmmmmm. Now I'm hungry.

9. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I totally agree :)
    In fact I was boycotting fast food places before going veggie. Mcdonalds seems to sum up everything that's wrong with food/eating today.

Same goes for BK and KFC (don't get me started on KFC :mad: )

As for veggie burgers.... I don't buy a particular brand, but just go for those that are unashamedly made from vegetables, rather than weird substances and pseudo meat.

10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

Now I hate to stand up for McD's - I hate just about everything about them - but as far as animal cruelty goes, they are better than most. They are actually industry leaders in cruelty prevention.

11. DarkShe-Elf

DarkShe-Elf Member

I used to eat veggie burgers a lot more, but lately I've been kind of wondering why. In the beginning, I used to miss eating meat a lot, so yeah, I'd replace beef with veggie. But now, why? Why do I want something that is imitating meat? Don't get me wrong, I'll still eat a Boca burger once in a while (and that fake turkey is good - and it doesn't really even look or taste like the real thing!).

I guess imitation meat products are good for convenience and if you want to feed it to a meat-eater.

But I think as of late, I've been ditching the Boca burgers for home-made veggie burgers, or sandwiches, as I prefer to call them. Mmmm....spicy black bean "burgers"... I want one now.

12. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

but mcD grills the veggie burgers on the same grill as the meat stuff...and you don't want that dirt on your burger right? ew.

13. naturegoddess69

naturegoddess69 Member

I love nature's burgers. They are a mix from fantastic foods. They have different flavors too. Plus, you just add water, let him sit then cook them up. They are so good.

14. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Are The Veggie Burgers at BK and Mcdonalds, and other restaraunts Vegan, or just Vegetarian?

Peace and Love,
    Dan

15. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Not sure about the burgers themselves, but I know the BK ones have some dairy in the buns.

I honestly don't know how people can eat fast food anyway. It is just disgusting.

16. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

unless youre drunk, in which case, fast food seems very appealing....

for some strange reason:confused:

17. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Really? I heard the Buns at BK are vegan from someone on this board, and PETA sent me an email saying I SHOULD go there and eat them to support fast food vegetarian options (So if they get enough money from the veggie burgers they may make more vegetarian options, and if they get money for it they won't stop making them). So being that PETA sent me an email about it, it makes me think they are vegan, but who knows....

Peace and Love,
    Dan

18. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

See that's why PETA annoy me, one minute they are ranting about how cruel fast food places are. Then as soon as veggie burgers are introduced all is forgiven.

I can see their point, but should be honest about the ingredients. Then at least everyone can make an informed choice.

I wouldn't eat the burgers myself *, but each to their own.

*Not vegan, just have issues with fast food.

19. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

I was considering eating the veggie burger at Burger King, but since I've seen that"Dr. Angus" commercial, I've had second thoughts. You just have to either make your own, or try morningstar, boca or gardenbugers(I'm sure there are others too.) Find condiment combonations on it that you enjoy.