vegetarian soldier

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by brandonveg, May 9, 2007.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

^^I disagree in theory and particulars with that.
    Please, don't accept a bill of goods the military indoctrinated in you. Think for yourself, and go deeper than that.
    In simple ways, anyone who eats has the ability to lessen food miles and petroleum-based pesticide/ herbicide/fertilizer use.
    Grow your own
    buy through local sources (farmers markets, CSAs, crops grown in the region)
    changing to a local/seasonal diet

I can pretty much guarantee that hot dogs are brought to the front range via trucks.
    Sadly, so much of our food is, even when grown in say, Elizabeth, because it all gets sent to distribution centers.

I do not support the concept of war, therefore I cannot support a particular war.
    Even with WWII, I cannot say I supported it.
    That was a point of no options because other methods failed.

This does not make me not a TRUE vegetarian.
    Indeed since a theory of nonviolence to the weak is a basis point for me, to limit harm in my kitchen is the butterfly wing flap i send to the wider world.

2. zihger

zihger Senior Member

I don’t believe what the military tells me. They say the war is for “freedom” far from it, it is for oil.
    It’s for oil to support a global economy, which feeds global consumer habits like eating imported diets. Most of us can’t grow and store all our own food that is only for the very small percentage of people with the time and space most of us don’t have an acre of garden and space for 200 mason jars.

Vegetarianism is possible for the majority of the people because of oil and a global market that is what brings most of the vegetarian diet to the store shelf’s with out it we would go back to the way things were 150 years ago which means no more fancy imported diets. So I just think it is stupid for people who’s lifestyles depend on the war and the oil to talk bad about it. That is like a meat eater talking bad about ranchers.
    I don’t practically like the war but I do like eating fresh veggies in the middle of winter. I feel bad about it like we are global thugs robbing a country for its recourses so I have been trying to use the least amount of gas I can, in Colorado that means eating a local diet based on meat and grain.

This war is for the global consumer/vegetarian. If you are like 99% of vegetarians Thank the troops for you fresh veggies.

I don’t know if Oscar Myer is on the front range but I’m sure there is enough animal guts around to make a few thousand hot dogs. YUK..

3. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

i dont think its about oil....i dont really care what its about...if the war was for oil then we would not be paying 3.60 a gallon for gas. -- just my two cents...he just wanted to go to war with iraq.

4. zihger

zihger Senior Member

^You don’t find any coincidence that they have the biggest oil reserves in the world? And our economy is based on oil?
    I don’t think multi billion dollar wars a caused… just because.

Maybe the oil reserves are running dry and this war will give us another 5-10 years of oil until the can get a bio fuel program set up.

Maybe I’m just paranoid and it is all about helping people “be free from evil dictators” and getting rid of “weapons of mass destruction”

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

from a Republican state senator who is also a Marine Col.

"We have to stop funding both sides of the war on terror. "
    and
    "Sending our troops in harm's way is NOT a national energy policy."

he has more, but he's running for Congress with a focus on energy independence.

I disagree with some of his ideas (drill ANWR, stay completely out of ethanol--I think field trash/ stalks/ weeds will eventually supply those sugars rather than the food parts of plants-- not a lot of hope with bio D --hello? transportation on train and truck is diesel) but at least he is consistent.

6. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

i used to be stationed in alaska. we used to have a ready reaction force to protect the pipeline. We have enough oil in alaska to last a merica for a couple hundred years or more.....what do we do with this oil? We sell it to asia.

7. zihger

zihger Senior Member

According to the EIA, the United States has 21 billion barrels of proved oil reserves as of January 1, 2000. The U.S. uses about 6.6 billion barrels per year. That is only enough oil to last the U.S. about three and a half years without importing oil from other countries. 84% of the reserves are concentrated in four states. Texas has 25%, both onshore, and offshore. Alaska has 24%, California has 21%, and Louisiana has 14% onshore, and offshore. Since 1990, U.S. oil reserves have dropped about 20%. New oil discoveries made in 1999 were made almost entirely in the Gulf of Mexico, and Alaska. (321 million barrels). All other discoveries were extensions of existing oil fields, or new reservoirs discovered in old fields. (404 million barrels).
    http://maps.unomaha.edu/Peterson/funda/Sidebar/OilConsumption.html

With production of around 5 million barrels per day (790,000 m³/d) as of 2006, this represents about an 11 year supply of oil at current rates. With consumption at 21 million barrels per day (3,300,000 m³/d) (7.7 gigabarrels per year) (2007),
    US reserves alone could satisfy US demand for only three years
    Taken from Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves#United_States

8. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

That may or may not be true.... I think there is more to it. I got my information from the military....
    One thing I should clarify...when i said i didnt think it was about oil.....i meant its not for oil for the united states.....but i am sure that the war does have something to do with making the rich oil folks richer. (not to mention the high level government officials who have ties to these companies and the private contracting companies.....) ANYWHO......its pointless for me to argue further because I simply have not researched it enough to have a SOLID arguement...and this isnt really about anything vegetarian anymore....
    But I will give it to you....wikipedia isnt always right....but 90 percent of the time it is.

9. FinnishButterfly

FinnishButterfly JennyJelly

I'm a military wife, and my husband is an ex vegetarian. He's a combat engineer. What the hell is this oil talk that doesn't even have anything to do with it..

So yes, alaska's hella expensive too. I don't know what else to write.

10. FinnishButterfly

FinnishButterfly JennyJelly

Never mind the oil comment, I had to actually read what was going on, I apologize.