Vegetarian Dating

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by DancerAnnie, Apr 25, 2005.

1. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I've been veggie for 6 years and am now converting to veganism this year. In my six years, I've never ever dated a vegetarian or a vegan. I met a guy through one of the groups at school who is vegan and will not date anyone who is not vegan or veggie. (He calls those who do eat meat, "meat mouths".)

I don't really have a problem dating meat eaters...I wish I could find a good veggie sometimes, but I've always thought that what you eat doesn't make you who you are and I shouldn't base my dating criteria simply on that.

Do any of you date vegans/veggies? What do you like about it, what don't you like about it?

Are any of you like me and have never dated vegans/veggies? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

Just curious.

2. al_from_mn

al_from_mn Member

I dated a cucumber once :D

Seriously though, it makes no difference to me whether a girl is veggie/vegan to me. I should note that I am a meat eater. I dated a girl in high school that happened to be a vegetarian, but the fact that she was veggie was irrelevant to our relationship. Sorry I couldn't be more help :p

Alex

3. Spaceduck

Spaceduck Member

What a coincidence. My last girlfriend dumped me for a cucumber.

:eek:

I like dating vegs, because they're open-minded, creative and disciplined. And they smell good.

4. lawngirl

lawngirl Member

i've been a vegetarian for about six years, too :D

i've dated meat eaters, and a vegan, but never another vegetarian. the vegan was crazy, diet aside. but oh wow, could he ever cook! ;)

my boyfriend pretty much keeps kosher (so we never have to have a pepperoni vs. cheese pizza debate) and doesn't eat sea food or meat in general. he's a chicken-and-rice sort of guy, whereas i'm more into trying new food.. but he's been real open minded. he likes veggie burgers better than beef burgers, and he likes veg. hot-dogs and things like that. he says he never feels like stir-fry or burritoes are missing meat... so it works out really well. but he's not so much into spicy indian feasts or crazy thai experiments.

5. Casperthesheet

Casperthesheet Member

I dated anyone really, but my girlfriend is a veggie. If she wasn't I would love her anyways...as long as I didn't have to eat meat!

6. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

My first boyfriend was veggie, and I wasn't at first. Then I turned veggie too. (had planned this for years...). The man I am in love with now, eats meat, but adores my cooking, and doesn't mind that it is without meat. So everything is ok :)

7. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

after whats recently happened..

i don't think i could date a meat eater ever again.

i have a "no meat in my apartment" rule, that was totally ignored.

:mad: never felt so disrespected in my life.

basically.. he lied and said he wanted to be a veggie .. but "forgot"???!!:eek:

8. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

I'd prefer a christian veg*n, but if that's not possible, I'd date a christian meat-eater whose got enough compassion for animals that I'd be able to convert him. ;) (he might not know about the whole ceruelty to animals in the meat industry...).

:)

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

married for 9 years to an omni who appreciates veg cuisine (and took us to Watercourse, and all veg, vegan friendly restaurant in Denver at 13 and Sherman)

10. lenore

lenore Member

ryupower- are you veggie in lieu of animal cruelty in the meat buissiness or because you dont agree with eating animals? just curious...:p

11. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

wish I could get a date!!

:&

12. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

my boyfriend is a vegetarian and i wouldn't want it any other way. i'm usually not one to care about the people i'm with doing something different from me but i think too much and i start getting grossed out. like what if they just ate like a huge juicy steak or something and afterwards they wanted to kiss you. i couldn't even do it. you may say i'm weird but i really can't help it. things like that just come to mind.

13. ryupower

animal cruelty reasons...:(

It's so disgusting what they do to the animals.

14. lenore

lenore Member

so you would eat meat that was well cared for and loved?
    ideally id like, when im older, to rear my own meat but i dont think i could eat them after them being my sorta pets!!:p i dont think someone should be eating meat if they can't handle how and where it got to their plate, but i know thats an unreasponable resquest, as even i myself can't face meat when i remember where it came from! well done on your veggiedom! i only made 8 months, before i gave into the allure of bbq chicken.

15. ryupower

meh...I've come to the point, that I'm gonna keep my vegetarian status for the rest of my life. I just don't crave anymore, and I'm sorta disgusted by it now..:p

Well, good luck in the future! :)

16. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I've been vegetarian for 2 years now. The first guy I dated after I became veggie was a vegetarian and the only difference it made to our relationship was the fact he introduced me to new foods and recipes. I also found that his breath didn't get as bad as the meat eaters I knew, and that was kind of nice. The other two guys I have dated since then have been meat eaters and with the first one, it created a bit of conflict (he said I was "going to die of malnutrition") and he wasn't exactly respectful towards my beliefs (good thing that's over, huh?). The last guy I dated was a complete doll and he completely respected my beliefs and said, "You're 18, you're old enough to make your own decisions. If you don't want to eat meat, that's fine." The only problem I think I would find with being with a meat eater is if I got serious enough to live with them, dinner may become a difficult thing to figure out. And if we were to get married, it would be difficult to decide whether to raise kids as vegetarians or meat eaters.

On a high note, though, the guy I'm currently finding myself liking, is a vegetarian himself. I don't really care if a guy I like eats meat or not, if I connect with him, that's a difference we can cross when it comes to it. It has yet to pose a real problem (minus the guy who thought getting me to eat meat was "for my own good.") in any relationship I've had.

17. Geth

Geth Member

Me and my boyfriend now decided to be vegetarian at the same time, after having a conversation about how horrific the meat industry was, and I am glad that we have the same morals and can follow through with the same decision.

18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I strongly prefer veggies.
    I'll date meat eaters, but I could never be in a serious relationship with one. I tolerate meat eaters, but I still believe it is wrong, and I could not love someone deeply who does not feel this way too.
    I'm not passive about it either. I try to convert anyone and everyone who will listen.
    I have converted three girlfriends so far.

19. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Unless I were to meet some girl for the first time over lunch or some meal, it doesn't really matter at all. It probably wouldn't even matter then... as long as they weren't on that atkins "diet". :rolleyes:

20. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

I've been veggie for 16 years, for the first few years my hormones got the better of me so it wasn't an issue. As I got older I found myself with a lot of veggie friends so it wasn't a particularly relevant issue by default (not that I shagged all my friends!) Me n the Dok have been together for 7 years and he's been veggie a year longer than I have, so again, it's not an issue.

If I were single it would be an issue. Vegetarianism is an important ethical choice for me and naturally I would want to meet someone who shares my values. I think when something's really important to you - you'll attract people to you who are in the same head space. We have a 'no dead things with parents' in the house policy and I couldn't imagine going back to a household where meat was acceptable.

At the end of the day, it comes down to how important an issue it is for you.