Vegetarian and yoga?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by rockys, Aug 11, 2013.

1. rockys

rockys Member

Are you vegetarian? I notice that many friends of mine who practice yoga follow the non-meat lifestyle. Though, they say that it''s not compulsory for a yoga practitioner. It''s a need instead.

2. Sunshine1603

Sunshine1603 Member

I became vegan about two months after I began practicing yoga. As you said, it's not compulsory but it definitely became an issue for me. The only way I can describe it, is that suddenly I became more mindful of what I was putting in my body. I felt less absorbed in taste and more interested in health and my body. From there I read a lot both online and in books and decided that veganism was the way for me. As soon as I made the change I found loads of delicious recipes so at no point did I miss any animal-based products. I thought I'd be moving into a somewhat tasteless lifestyle and I was wrong. Without sounding preachy, I now live according to my own values and that's consistent with my yoga and meditation practice.

3. Ray_killeen

Ray_killeen Member

It would be interesting to know any changes in strength, energy, mindful clarity and overall sense of wellbeing (negative or positive) you may have experienced before, after and in transition this change in diet.

4. Sunshine1603

Sunshine1603 Member

Hi Ray,
    I'm not the best person to comment as I actually had a breakdown last year and yoga has been part of my recovery.
    It really helped me, but I was in a very horrible place to start with.

5. Sunshine1603

Sunshine1603 Member

Sorry, I wrote "yoga" but I meant everything tying in with yoga, meditation and veganism ... it's been a long day!

6. Ray_killeen

Ray_killeen Member

Sounds like you’re attempting a total transformation, hope it all works out for you.

7. Sunshine1603

Sunshine1603 Member

Thanks Ray, it's been ongoing for a while now and it's going really well. I wish you all the best :)