Vegan multivitamins...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by hummblebee, Apr 2, 2007.

1. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but stores and prices can change often so I thought I'd get current opinions...

I can't seem to find any reasonably priced decent multi-vitamins that are vegan! At least, not in my local stores. I don't have a HFS that's close enough to get to anytime soon. My requirements, besides being vegan, are mostly just to make sure it contains iron. One that's formulated especially for women would be a big plus, though. I'd love to have the components be organic and not all chemy, but I doubt I'll ever be able to find that in my price range.

Anyone have a favorite brand? Online store where there are good prices on these things? I'd love any recomendations you guys have to offer! :)

2. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Best to go without if you can't go for quality. Vitamins these days are such poor quality that they create more harm than they do health.

Until then try to eat organic and lots of fruits and vegetables.

Spirulina can be great for lots of iron and b-12 too. It's a green food in most health food stores.

3. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

As I said, I'm *looking* for quality, and I don't have a HFS accessible to me. I can't get spirulina locally any more than I can get vegan vitamins.

I do try to eat healthy all the time, and what food I do eat is always very well balanced. But as a few of you know (I've posted about it before) I have a problem with a very very low appetite. :( Unless I'm constantly reminding myself to eat, I'll go all day without food. And about half the time that I *force* myself to sit down and eat something, I vomit afterward. I don't have any eating disorders, this is not a conscious thing, and I'm trying to get better about it. But in the meantime it seems like the best thing to do (to be on the safe side) is taking a multivitamin daily if I can. That way at least I'll know I won't be deficient in some important areas.

My only issue is cost - I can't afford to drive for almost an hour to go to the overpriced HFS and buy something, so I was hoping one of you would have a lead for a good, reasonable and reputable site where I can purchase something. :)

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I have a women's vegan multi from Whole Foods: mail order, perhaps?
    or look at combining a couple different ones (like a separate iron tab: you do cook with cast iron, right...or will soon?)
    I used floridix for a while, check their vegan status, though. I was using what I could get down during an evil bout of pneumonia with attendant swollen throat (no pills there).
    look at the Body Balance line as well. it's MLM, but decent stuff: again check vegan status.

5. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

I asked my friend about this and he recommended this site to me

http://www.1automationwiz.com/app/?af=579333

Lot's of cool Kirlian photography on there, that apprently takes pictures of the auras of things. Seems about accurate saying 98% of vitamins are not full of life force, lol.

I'm not sure it's vegan and I saw whey on the site, but some of the products may be good. I've never tried them personally though so I couldn't really endorse them. But it may be what your looking for..

My specialty is herb supplements really, I'm not too into vitamins except a B vitamin I take every now and then by Solaray.

6. drumminmama

Kirlian is a tech glitch. It is a simple, if cool, electrograph.

"The principle of Kirlian photography, as well as all electrography, is the corona discharge phenomenon, that takes place when an electrically grounded object discharges sparks between itself and an electrode generating the electrical field. When these sparks are captured on film they give the appearance of coronas of light. These discharges can be affected by temperature, moisture, pressure, or other environmental factors. Several Kirlian techniques have been developed, but the basic ones generally employ a Tesla coil connected to a metal plate. The process is similar to the one which occurs in nature, when electrical conditions in the atmosphere produce luminescences, auras, such as St. Elmo's fire."

and why you can get a crappy Polaroid and do it, too:
    http://www.auracam.info/

7. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Really, you don't believe in it??? It coulda been a glitch that was discovered for a reason ;) lol!

It does make sense though, that 98% of vitamins are probably synthetic with very little original natural life force in tact.

I would think NewChapter would be a good brand of vitamins, but they can be pricey. All there stuff is organic and it's all grown naturally on bacteria I think.

A great source for bulk price newchapter stuff is - http://www.vitacost.com Better than wholesale prices almost.

8. drumminmama

please, it is a bending of light waves. Haven't you ever had spectrum glasses?
    I take cameras apart and put them back together, I know shutterbugging.
    Also, my sweetie has watched K photog and says the colors are wrong and mislocated (he sees the fields: I only feel them.)
    He says in your aura is that low, get help immediately! :p

9. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

Check out http://www.veganstore.com/ I have bought B-12 vitamins from them. They are not really all that cheap, but I don't think they are terrible either. I have never really seen any vitamins labeled vegan that are cheap, but we are looking for quality here right?

If iron is your concern start cooking with cast iron if you aren't already. Also start using blackstrap molasses. It is a good source of iron as well as calcium, maganese, copper, potassium, and magnesium.

I tend to agree with Avocado Noni in that I am not all that confident in vitamin suppliments. Maybe you would do better drinking more juices like V8 or making your own.

10. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

:lol I see auras whenever I get a migraine! Who needs cameras?

I've been working on finding a few vitamin suppliments too. Don't need a full multi as my diet is fairly good, but I need a few "boosters" for calcium & iron... it would appear that my body doesn't do so well at digesting these two.

Just looking for what is easiest to digest/dissolve, I found that Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D is the "best" form of calcium. I found a generic vitamin with both of these at my regular grocery store that wasn't too expensive. It looks like it might be Vegan, but most of the ingredients look like a chemistry experiment. GNC has an "Iron Complete" suppliment that's supposed to be just for women & isn't that expensive either, but it has milk in it. Sorry I can't be much more help, I'm looking too. For right now, I'm taking my kids' multivitamins since one or the other of the two I picked up is making me physically ill.

If you don't mind taking kiddie vitamins, they take Lil Critters Gummy Vites & Groovy Calcium Gummy Bears with Vitamin D... they're made by this company - http://gummybearvitamins.com and they're YUMMY! I found 220 & 200 count bottles of each at Costco for $10 apiece, but I've also seen them online... I believe they were at drugstore.com. I know that THEIR vitamins are all-natural! The calcium bears have a vegetarian-approved seal and are gluten, milk, egg, peanut, tree nut, soy, and artificial color, flavor & preservative-free. The Gummy Vites are also gluten, milk, egg, tree nut, peanut, soy & artificial color, flavor & preservative free too, but do list beeswax in their ingredients to prevent sticking. I could give you the complete info from the packaging if you're interested :)
    love,
    mom

11. sabriel_pawz

sabriel_pawz Member

I just got some really great vegan multi vitamins for women (Vitomega Womens Multi-Vitamin + Omega by Futurebiotics). I don't believe they have iron in them though, which I don't really care about because my iron levels are fine. It has B12 and all the Omegas and a bunch of anti-oxidents though. I'm pretty excited about it anways. I bought them at www.veganessentials.com and they're a good price. They have lots of other vitamins and iron supplements so you might want to check them out.