Vegan Equivalents of My Grandmother's Recipes?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Jimbee68, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

My paternal grandmother was by all accounts an exceptional cook. Anyway, when my grandfather was going to an old age home, I came across these recipes (apparently written in my grandmother's hand). The first are at least vegetarian. But the last set have meat in them. Do they have vegetarian or vegan equivalents? Speak up if you think that they do :) :

GRANDMA’S LIGHTNING CAKE:
    1 Cup Sugar
    1 Cup Flour
    And, 1 heaping tsp. Baking Powder
    Sift these ingredients 4 times.(Sounds like a lot of work—but the end results make it worth it!)
    Next, melt a piece of Butter “the size of an egg” in a 1 Cup measure. Place in 2 Eggs and fill up with Milk.(The Butter must not be too hot, or it will cause the Eggs to curdle.)
    Add 1 tsp. Vanilla and stir the ingredients “hard” before you place them in [greased–?] pans.
    That’s were the recipe trails off. I assume you then bake it in a Moderate (325 to 350 degrees) oven until done.
    GRANDMA’S NUT BREAD:
    One Egg, well-beaten, 1 cup Milk, 2 cups Flour, ¼ cup Sugar, ½ tsp. Salt, 2 tsp. Baking Powder, ½ cup Chopped Nuts. Pour in greased pans, and let stand twenty minutes. Make into one loaf bake forty minutes.
    GRANDMA’S COCOA CAKE:
    2 C. Brown Sugar, ½ C. Cocoa dissolved in ½ C. Boiling Water
    2 Eggs, 2 C. Flour
    ½ C. Fat, 2 t. Baking Powder
    ½ C. Sour Milk, 1 t. Baking Soda
    **Cream Butter and Sugar. Add slightly-beaten Eggs and beat thoroughly. Dissolve the Cocoa in the Boiling Water and add the Milk. Add Cocoa mixture to first mixture. Sift Flour, Baking Soda and Soda together and beat in thoroughly. Bake a loaf, in a moderate oven, for thirty minutes.

And here are the meat-based ones :) :

GRANDMA’S CHILI CON CARNE:
    One or 1½ lbs. Round Steak (cut small), 1 can Red Kidney Beans, ½ can Tomatoes, 2 Onions, 2 Green Peppers (cut fine). Brown Steak in Butter and add a little Water. Simmer gently three quarters of an hour. Add the other ingredients and thicken a little if necessary.
    GRANDMA’S COTTAGE PIE:
    Chop cold Meat fine (or Round Steak). To every cupful add ¾ cup Gravy or Stock, season highly with Salt & Pepper and ⅛ teaspoon Summer Savory. Put into a baking dish and cover with a crust of Mashed Potatoes. Bake 20 minutes or until brown. Serve in the dish in which it was baked. Note. Do not put Milk in the Mashed Potatoes.
    GRANDMA’S MAYONNAISE DRESSING:
    ½ t. Mustard, 1 Tb. Sugar, ½ t. Salt, 3 Tb. Vinegar, ⅛ t. Paprika, 1½ C. Salad Oil, 1 Egg.
    ** Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly. Add the well-beaten Egg and Acid. Add the Oil, a fourth of a cup at a time, beating constantly. More Acid may be used, by adding it at the Root–???.
    BOILING DUMPLINGS:
    2 c. Flour, ½ t. Salt; 4 t. Baking Powder; 1 scant C. Milk.
    Sift dry ingredients stir in Milk gradually, with a knife, to make a soft dough. Drop quickly by the spoonful into the boiling Stew, letting them rest on the meat and potatoes. Cover closely to keep in the steam, and boil just ten minutes without lifting the cover. Serve at once.

Thoughts?

:)

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Those are family heirlooms!

And your grandma was a good cook obviously :)

I make a vegan version of the Cottage Pie by using TVP (texturized soy protein), soaking in hot water and flavoring with Bragg's Amino broth with some herbs... it makes a mixture like ground beef in consistency. I also add chopped mushrooms, onions and other bits of vegetables I have in the frig... I make a gravy with cornstarch and water, and no milk in the mashed potatoes... but some butter does help the flavor if you can handle it. It's always enjoyed here in cold weather.

3. ~Zen~

And here in Mexico we make chili beans with no meat at all, just lots of hot chilis, onion, sweet peppers, sometimes corn kernels for fun. I make it from dried bans soaked overnight. I do not buy canned beans.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

If your recipe calls for a small amount of milk, then brew up a cup of black tea. Make sure you brew for the full five minutes. Use the corresponding amount brewed tea and drink the rest.
    If your recipe calls for a cup of milk, use coconut milk. This is not the chemical cocktail that soy milk is. Keeps refrigerated and great in mashed potato.
    Coconut cream makes great custard.

5. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Only way to get good beans. I almost always have a pot of small red beans cooked up. Most times cooked with bone broth from Moose or caribou bones. Onions and celery added about last hour of cooking.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

In baked goods, almond milk is my go to. Flax egg, chia seed egg, or any egg substitute available.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

You can replace milk with almond or even cashew. And I think margarine is vegetable based. :)

8. drumminmama

REMEMBER WHERE YOU ARE POSTING!
    This is vegetarian.

9. drumminmama

Many have milk derived flavorings. One way to help, but not fully, avoid, is look for the OU D label.
    8A7C2ABC-5CEC-4215-8DB9-14A8C2AF401C.jpeg

soulcompromise likes this.
  10. lion1978

lion1978 The King

GRANDMA’S CHILI CON CARNE
    This can not be made in a vegetarian or vehan way since the name litterally translates to chilli with meat.
    But to be less of an asshole, I suppose you could make chilli con tofu, just replace the meat with tofu, some places like where I live you can get "vegtebal meat" which is made from a mix of beetroot and soy beans I think, you could also use that if can find it..

as @soulcompromise said margerine is plant based and can be used to replace butter, another option would be to use a vegetable oil.
    And for milk there are many options as mentioned almond milk, soy milk and cocunut milk.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

My mate makes awesome vegan chili, and her cottage pie is made with a concoction of lentils & onions at the bottom, layer of peas, layer of mashed potatoes & turnips; equally awesome.

12. drumminmama

chilie sin carne
    Where grandma put steak, use roasted portobello or similar large/chewy mushrooms.

king oysters make fabulous “chopped brisket” sandwich fillings.

~Zen~ and lion1978 like this.
  13. ~Zen~

Excellent advice.

I stuff portobellos all the time, as they are cheap here in Mexico. I get four or five for a dollar. Big ones.

Now I have to make mushroom chili!

I think the locals will like it. They eat tamales filled with cream cheese and mushrooms. Mmmmmm good.

Nice to see you @drumminmama I hope you are fulfilling your dreams!

drumminmama likes this.
  14. drumminmama

I’m building a fabulous healing business. I can’t wait to get to my work. Self employed, travel to clients.

~Zen~ likes this.
  15. ~Zen~

That's wonderful!

My good friend is a massage therapist, since the early '70s. Keeps her alive and glowing!

The world is full of hurt, people need a lot of help healing now. If you can offer that you will do very well indeed :)

16. drumminmama

Indeed.
    I’m also finishing a nutrition certification to add value for my clients, and work that taxes my body less!
    I hope to make this a nice little business to leave to my kiddo.