Vegan Babies?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by SexyDreads, May 9, 2004.

1. SexyDreads

SexyDreads Member

I was wondering about Vegan babies. Id like to raise my children as naturally as possible. But will they get all the nutrients they need. And will I be taking away their own right to choose? I was also wondering if while they are in my tummy, and I dont consume any animals products, will they develope differently? When they get older, and lets say they accidently eat meat, will they get sick and possibly die?

Please, let me know any of your thoughts, ideas. Thanks!
    Peace,
    Jessica

2. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

Humans are omnivorous. Regardless of what you eat it won't change that.

I suggest eating meat (theres nothing artificial with meat !!!) but if its so important then you will have to eat a lot of different veggies and stuff to get enough oligo-elements that are normally present in high quantity in usual animal products but only in some specific plant products... Or take a lot of different supplements.
    It doesn't matter so much usually, people can go without a couple stuff but when pregnant its very important. So strict veganism isn't good.

You can find guides about that on the 'Net.

3. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

He ain't trolling, he's just answering with his opinion. I actually agree with him about the meat thing, but I'm pretty sure that SexyDreads here is going to keep being vegan so I won't bother you anymore...

4. clawsy

clawsy Member

i think the American Dieticans Association might have some info about it. On their position paper for vegetarianism, they say its ok for pregnant women, infants and kids to be veg*n ...http://www.eatright.org/Public/GovernmentAffairs/17084.cfm and has a small amount of information, maybe they have more info about this on other papers. I think they are unbiased source of info.

I would find out as much as possible about it all, when/if i have kids ill stay vegan and will raise them vegan unless i get proof its bad for children.

Its not really funny but when i was a teen i was told i would die if i went vegan(HAHA Yeah), and whenever i hear the same kind of horror stories now days, i try not to take notice. when i think of children thu, these stories make me both a bit scared and also angry. i think if ppl are going to claim it is unhealthy then they should provide proof to back that up.

5. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Ignore Antimatter. His comments are inaccurate. There is no need under normal circumstances to eat meat, that includes whilst pregnant.

It is perfectly possible, in fact nothing short of a brilliant idea, to raise children on a veg*an diet.
    Think of all the unhealthy little lardasses pigging out on junk food. How can any loving parent let that happen?

Don't worry about them developing diffrently physically. There are plenty of perfectly healthy happy life vegans (Summer Phoenix being one of the more well known)
    Mentally there will be a diffrence. They will hopeful be more compassion children in touch with nature and all those other positive things.

If they were to eat meat later there may be a slight reaction, as it would be an alien substience, but by no means lethal.

There are plenty of resources on the net, www.veg.source.com (in the parenting section)
    and
    www.vrg.org/family/kidsindex/html
    That's just for starters. There are also plenty of books on the subject (Michael Klaper is the first author that springs to mind).
    Oh and a double page spread in PETA's vegetarian starter kit is devoted to the subject.
    A quick google search should set you well on your way.

Good luck, I plan to have some a veggie babies myself some day. :)

TTFN

Sage

6. Forgetmenot8524

Forgetmenot8524 Member

if it makes anyone feel better i became vegetarian when i was 13 and now im 15 am a lot heathier than before. im also at the peek of growing and im not dead yet (as my omni parents said i would be) i also plan on going vegan and im probably going to raise my kid veggie anyway:)

7. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I would suggest taking some nutrition classes before / while planning your pregnancy and lifestyle.As for taking away their rights to choose I have come to this question as a mother myself and well as you are going to eat meat you are making them choose to help the industry of killing animals to eat etc...so giving them the right to choose if they want that later is a good thing if you can keep them healthy with a vegan diet. I think its great that you are thinking about all of this before you have children.

"I suggest eating meat (theres nothing artificial with meat !!!) "~~Antimatter235...
    You are wrong there. You may want to do a bit of reasearch on how meat is processed before you eat it. Everything from peoples body parts to cardboard to the stuff the animal was eating and what it was grown with and more get through into our meat.

I am not veg but I want to be.

8. neckienoo

neckienoo Member

It's so nice to hear that someone is looking forward to feeding their children correctly! Last year, I taught a pre ballet dance for 4 year olds class at 11am. After class, the children's parents feed them artificiallly flavored and colored candy, greasy chips, and soda. If they weren't doing that they'd be promising them Mc Donald's burgers and fries! I'd think to myself, "Why not baked chips, fruit, veggies, or whole wheat crackers" ? There are even those really good fries you can bake in the oven for 15 minutes. It used to upset me to se these children eating junk!
    I have been a vegetarian for about six years. I believe it's the best way to eat for health and for animals! You certainly can maintin a pregnancy as a vegetarian; however you have to make sure you're getting enough essential fatty acids (EFA). I read that women who don't have enough EFA s have a greater risk of miscarriage. As a vegetarian you really have to explore. It's sometimes too easy to say, Oh, I'll just eat these cookies for lunch, they're vegetarian! If you love cookies (like I do) buy or make them with wheat flour and unrefined sugar. As a vegetarian, you have so many options from vegetarian "meats" and vegetables and hummus to sweets that are actually healthy. You just have to look around.

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

10. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Hey don't forget that SDA couple in NZ who are in the slammer (a five year sentence each)for manslaughtering their baby boy.They beleived that going on a vegan diet would lead to salvation and better health.Because the woman was on a strict vegan diet, her breast milk contained no B12, their baby boy ended up with anemia.The first symptoms were a skin rash all over his body.They did actually take him to hospital.When told the problem and the treatment (a B12 injection) they simply refused to believe it.When no one was looking they quietly removed thier baby from hosptial and wrapped him in some herbs.
    At thier trial they had no representation.They thought that God would guide them through and give them the answers.
    As B12 is stored in the human liver,maybe it would be a good idea to go on a beef eating binge to stock up on B12 reserves.That way you might go as long as twenty years before becoming anemic.Some people become anemic after a few months of a vegan diet.

11. Megara

Megara Banned

i hope you grow your own food then...because todays vegetables are sprayed with pesticides and injected with growth hormones out the whazoo....

I dont see why some vegans have a holier than thou attitude towards meat eaters. Let people eat what they want. You can live healthy lifestyles eating meat or not.

12. clawsy

clawsy Member

im in nz and vaguely remeber this, they are not the typical vegans and were really extreme with their diet and with other things, and also a bit nuts it seems..... About b12, most vegans get b12 from fortified foods such as soy milk or from popping a vitamin pill once a week. Its not a big deal to get it. ALL the B vitamins you buy from the supermarket have it in them. Most ppl should take vitamins anyhow so it kind of makes the whole 'where do vegans get b12 from' a silly point.

13. Megara

Megara Banned

if it doesnt require killing somoene and you have the permission of the persons body who you will be consuming....sure, i dont care.

But cannablism requires killing people :p

nce stretch though

14. Megara

Megara Banned

because we have things called laws. These laws say that murder is wrong. If you want to go and kill somene and eat them..i wont stop you...but you will go to jail.

Man, seriously, just stop, you are stretching and looking ridiculous....seriously...

15. Megara

Megara Banned

let me think....yeah its you

We are a society that are based on the rules of law. The rule of law says that all humans are created equal. It doesnt say that for animals, sorry.

You have gone off on a wild tangent of some how taking that i said "eat what you want" to some how condone cannibalism

16. Megara

Megara Banned

the difference between you and me is...i eat the animals that are killed....you live in some warped view of reality and think animals arent killed for the plants you eat...here is reality...MILLIONS of animals die in the world because of turbines.

so please, get off your pedastal

17. Enron

Enron Member

Gee golly, some animals get killed in combines. Well in that case lets kill more, Oh, Oh, then we can eat them.

...i dont get it

18. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

I suggest eating meat and "ppl" (don't to mention names) jump at me and distort what i say. Chill down. I didn't even say that veganism is bad but, of course, i'm a troll. Airheads.
    This is interesting to see the Holier Than Thou reaction though.

I said that someone on a "careless" vegan diet should definately eat meat during pregnancy. Because you have to actively choose the appropriate foods to get all the nutrients. A good vegan nutrition is more than just banning meat.

Maybe it's because i said humans are omnivorous and you can't change that. I didn't say its unnatural to eat like herbivores (well, if yer omnivorous, plants only nutrition is good too) but the baby will still be able to eat meat.

Yes, you definately should eat meat (for pregnancy) if you're not going to eat plenty of different plants that you *choose*, to get all the nutrients you would get even if you didn't choose the unusual animal products (steak, eggs...).
    Now i'm not saying you're going to be sick if you're on a bad vegan diet. I'm sure i could go on usual salad, white cereal products and apples without something really bad happening.

19. SexyDreads

SexyDreads Member

Well I have a few things to say here...

Thanks to all for all your helpful information and I will get right on those web sites and get to erading the books ASAP! Thanks again!!

Ive been a veggie for 4 years now. I did it for my own good. I didnt feel well all the time, and was terribly out of shape. Im much slimmer now, I have a great feeling everyday, and I can really feel a difference in my body. I feel great.

I dont care what others eat, Im not into the politics of being veggie. I think some people take it way extreme, like they are trying to force their beliefs on someone...I wont mention names, but Ive seen it here. I dont understand this. I eat the way I want to eat, and others eat the way they want to eat. Everyone wins. When people find out Im veggie, I tell them a little about it. If they ask questions I answer. But I dont make it sound all glamourous to be so. Or that Im better than them...again with the names, but Ive seen it here.

So yeah, and thanks for all your help!!

Peace,
    Jessica

20. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

No you don't have to actively choose.

For example if i buy the usual animal products and the usual plant products i'd get everything i need. As there are a shitload of proteins and amino-acids in just one sort of meat. It saves a lot of hassle.
    I can't say the same with veganism. First i have to choose the ones with enough proteins (like soybean) then a variety of veggies and nuts to get a steak worth of micro-nutrients.