Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada' started by lyla, Jun 1, 2004.

1. lyla

lyla Member

i figure it should be somewhere easy to get to, regardless of possession of car... I'd say the art gallery steps, but the weather will likely be sucky... does anyone have a favorite coffee shop or other suggestion?

2. lyla

lyla Member

oh, and what day works for ya'll?

3. lyla

lyla Member

hello? who's in?

4. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Hey Lyla. Imma be in Van in a few weeks. Might be there by the tenth. We'll see.

5. lyla

lyla Member

hey hey! i'm in vancouver now! PM me if you wanna meet up!

6. shrimpgirl

shrimpgirl Member

my family's in vancouver but i've never actually lived there... love going there in the summer though :) probably move there some day

whats the night life like? someone i met here in london (who lived near hastings in van) told me it was shit lol but i'm willing to check it out myself...

i'm coming for christmas and i'd love to find some chilled out places to go at night.... any advice?

peace

7. chaos

chaos Member

hey vancouver people,

remember spartacus? that rad bookstore that burnt down a short time ago. it will be reopening soon hopefully http://www.spartacusbooks.org/

8. Jimmyb

Jimmyb Member

Im From Aldergrove !!
    Greater Vancouver Area...
    whats up everyone

9. lyla

lyla Member

well, my guess is it can't compete with London, but there are some fun places to be... depends on what you're into though.

backstage lounge is good times... if you actually are looking for CLUB clubs, then Plaza is pretty popular... not my cup of tea, but my friends love it.

have fun!

10. Rayeine

Rayeine Member

Let me know if this meet up is going down!:) id suggest a few cafe's on Main street...but im thinking the art gallery stairs would be easyer to find.

11. lyla

lyla Member

I'm up for it... anyone else?

12. chaos

chaos Member

yarrr... i;d be down

13. lyla

lyla Member

alright, if my math skills are worth anything, then we have 3 people so far!

ya, I agree, the stairs are probably best... plus, the party can move if need be.

I'm in town 'til the 4th (probably), when works for ya'll?

14. spooner

spooner is done.

vancouver's my home too... live just off oak street. if anyone comes to town, pm me

15. Jimmyb

Jimmyb Member

Hey whats up every1
    im from Aldergrove ... hour outside of vancouver but im downtown quite often... ne body wana hitup some dubies give me a holler
    peace

16. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

meet ya at the McDonalds at 264th and the number 1.

Aldergrove, that is pretty close to me.
    How about meet at the Alder Inn? lol
    Or the corner of LeFeuvre and Fraser Highway?

Vancouver rocks.

17. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I used to come up 99 and over the oak st. bridge every morning for 2 years, when I worked in Kerrisdale.
    I hated that commute though, it was brutal.

18. chaos

chaos Member

y;all should come out to this...

March 15th, 2005, will mark the ninth year of the International Day Against Police Brutality (IDAPB). It first began in 1997 as an initiative of the Black Flag collective in Switzerland, with the help of the Montreal Collective Opposed to Police Brutality. The date was chosen because on March 15th, two children, aged 11 and 12, were beaten by the Swiss police.

We are individuals who have been involved in organizing IDAPB events for the past two years in Vancouver. This time around we preparing for a march through the streets on the night of March 15th, starting at 7:00 pm at Victory Square on the corner of Hastings and Cambie Street.

We are not calling for a protest or a demonstration. Our purpose is not to whine to the media about how awful the police are. Instead, we want to open up space for people that are directly affected by police brutality to express their anger and take action. We are not a charity, religious, or legal group trying to save the poor.

We are individuals who do not want to live under the clubs and watchful eyes of the cops, and we want to fight alongside those who feel the same way. We choose to organize independently from all political activist groups and parties, and encourage others to form affinity groups and initiate actions against police control. Events leading up to March 15th are also in the works.

In every society the police are the frontline soldiers and occupying army in service of the rich. Vancouver itself is the product of the violent displacement, imprisonment and forced religious indoctrination of the indigenous peoples of the Sto:lo, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh nations. The Vancouver police murder of Frank Paul (a Mi'kmaq man) in 1998, the non-investigation of the missing women cases, and the escalated police occupation of the Downtown Eastside since April 2003 are only the most recent examples of this ongoing legacy of colonialism. The police brutality and killings that make the headlines are only the tip of the iceberg. The real problem is the parasitic economic system that the cops are paid to defend.

The Vancouver Police Department is fighting a war for control of the city. With the Safe Streets Act and the ongoing yuppification of Vancouver neighbourhoods, this war can only escalate. IDAPB is a step towards building effective resistance to the police at a practical level.

With respect to the memory of Vancouver residents killed by the police (Gerald Chenery, Robert Bagnell, Roman Andreichikov, Chistopher Ecklund, Benny Matson, Jeff Berg, Frank Paul, and others), let's take the streets on March 15th.

Independent IDAPB Organizing Group - Vancouver

idapb@lycos.com

19. jamaica

jamaica Member

very cool! i will try to be there :)

20. Rayeine

Rayeine Member

Heyy! How long have you been on Fnk?
    My name's Charlene, "Rayeine" on the Fnk forums. lol...oooh..the many web identities.