Vancouver Pot Cafe' Raided

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Alex_12, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Alex_12

Alex_12 Member

Vancouver pot shop re-opens after raid

On September 10, patrons of the Dutch-style Da Kine Smoke and Beverage Shop in Vancouver, BC experienced an unwelcome surprise. Dozens of undercover cops, weapons drawn, clad in balaclavas (one wore a t-shirt with "Legalize It" on the front), raided the popular business.

Police executed a search warrant obtained by undercover narks who had purchased marijuana at Da Kine earlier that day. At 6pm, 30 police vehicles surrounded the cafe and erected barricades to keep back the angry crowds. One full block was shut down on the popular Commercial Drive, jamming traffic, interrupting filming of The Fantastic Four, and causing local businesses to close early.

A vocal crowd of about 200 protesters turned out at the roadblocks to heckle cops and smoke joints freely in a tense show of defiance.

12 people were arrested and police seized approximately $64,000 in cash, nine kilos of marijuana, 450 grams of hashish and over 300 pot cookies.

Seven staff members were forcibly detained during the shutdown, and are facing charges of trafficking and possession for the purpose of trafficking. The cafe’s owner, 38-year-old
    Carol Gwilt, is also charged with possessing proceeds of a crime.

2. MagicMedicine

MagicMedicine Sailor Scent

fuck bitchass cops. don't they have crime to stop and cars with a brake light out to pull over? I'm glad they felt it was necessary to block up an entire street and disrupt businesses.:rolleyes:

3. redbarcheta

redbarcheta Member

so i dont get it, they open a shop for smoking marijuana? and then raid it? can they do that and why did they open it in the first place. OR was it really a "cafe" and were ilegally selling the marijuana?

4. redbarcheta

redbarcheta Member

oh wait now i get it. It was a "pot shop" so i am so confused why the hell did they raid it. So is weed legal in BC or just decriminalized. I am looking to move to canada thats just another reason to.

5. ThinK

ThinK Member

This sounds alot like something that would happen in America...

Canada's pot laws are pretty lax, but this shop was selling weed over the counter.. Still no need for so many undercovers and all that fuss... ah well..

6. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

theyre usually set up id believe in a negotiation with local laws and reasoning. However the national law might come in once in a while to fuck em up, like if the budget is low.

thats jsut how id imagine it to be

7. LooLoo

LooLoo Member

It's a shame, but the guys running the shop were always pushing their luck. It takes balls to try something like that, even if the counrty has reletively liberal whenit comes to weed.

They had it coming. It sucks, but the government will never want to be seen to be actively encouraging marijuana. They'll turn a blind eye to most things, but actually selling it over the counter was just too much i'd imagine.

8. MoonIsBright

MoonIsBright Member

In BC they dont really care if you smoke weed and they have other shops you can smoke up at. But the shops i have been to you are allowed to bring your own in and smoke but the store isnt allowed to sell it. It is still illegal becuase of the american govt. Cops dont care becsuse they have more to worry about with all the heroin in those parts of town. Even though it is illegal i have been cuaght a couple of times while smoking and nothing ever happened.

Peace & Love

9. Alex_12

Alex_12 Member

The most realistic way I see our goverment legalizing pot is if they grow it and sell it themselves. The same way they have a monopoly on alcohol, so they can make money off it aswell.

10. WeeDMaN

WeeDMaN a pothead

but if the government grows it wont they make the weed as shitty as possible?

11. Stan

Stan Member

They'd probly make it good, and juiced with shit to get you addicted to it hardcore or something.

12. Ryoto

Ryoto Member

I live in California, and my friends a member of the cannabis club. It's a place where you can legally buy marijuana, grown by the government. I also have to say that weed is some GOOOD shit. Just because the government grows it doesn't mean its going to suck. On another note <3 Arnold for being for legalization of medical mary jane in CA.

13. Alex_12

Alex_12 Member

They would probably have different levels of potency too. The more potent, the more expensive, obviously. None of it would be sprayed with fukin Windex either. :mad:

14. Ryoto

Ryoto Member

Pot sprayed with windex?

no its 10 bucks for a gram and get to choose from 20 different strains they harvest. Each one has its own description for your kind of medical use, like ones that make you really hungry and shit but half the guys in there don't use it for medical use.

15. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

Im in cali. too, they just raded my club a couple times in the past month, they are dicks. It is legal to grow and smoke it but you cant really sell it. Im pretty sure canada has the same attitude, but more lax on people smokin.

16. Alex_12

Alex_12 Member

Some people (at least some people here) like to spray thier pot with windex to give the illusion of better weed so custumers come back. They are cunts.