Valentines day

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Foladh, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Piezoluminescent

Piezoluminescent Banned

I'm not sure its a real holiday.The only people get anything from it are greeting card and candy co s.

2. superNova

superNova Member

i think valentine's day is a wonderful holiday that commemorates a really interesting historical occurrence. since i doubt most people know it, i'll give you the run down (this is from the away message i put up every valentine's day on my aim, that's why it is so ridiculously written hehe :)):

"way back in the day, in rome, lived a christian priest named valentine. the emperor, claudius ii, was a bitch and said no soldiers could get married or engaged, because he thought it would make them wuss out. valentine was all like, hell no man, and so he married young couples in secret. of course, that could only go on for so long, and one day he was arrested, imprisoned, and they chopped his little loving head off. oh but guess what day they beheaded him - february 14th! coincidently the eve of the old holiday, lupercalia. that was a pagan holiday though, and as christianity spread, people stopped celebrating the day for lupercalia and just called it valentine's day. the end. now go celebrate beheading! happy valentine's day!"

hehe yeah so anyway, that's valentine's day. it's only commercialized if you make it commercialized. and incidently, um, christmas, thanksgiving, easter, halloween, independence day, st. patrick's day - EVERYTHING is commercialized. that's life in a capitalist society. suck it up and move on :)

personally, i adore valentine's day. whether or not you're dating someone doesn't matter! i just recently started dating someone (like a week ago), and before that, i had still been super psyched for the holiday! make cards for your friends. bake brownies and put little heart sprinkles on them. love somebody, even if it's your mom or your dad or your cat. yay! :)

3. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

bad stuff always seems to happen around Valentine's day IMO, but sometimes love is in the air.
    peace. jah bless.