Valentines day

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Foladh, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Foladh

Foladh Member

hey yall , now im not tryin to sound like a bitch rite , but who here thinks that valentines has to be the worst part of the yr????
    like it just makes ppl who r insecure about there looks and stuff feel worse !
    maybe thats just my opinion but im just sharin it

2. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I think it's a time for lovers to celebrate each other.

I'm sorry if ti makes anyone feel bad or lonely, but I don't think that's what it was meant for. I understand it brings out insecurities in insecure people, and I hope one day, they look in the mirror and love themsleves. For only when you love yourself, will you have a lover.

3. smilez

smilez Member

I've always hated this holiday. It doesn't matter whether I'm with someone or not, jsut never liked it.

4. XriseXupX

XriseXupX Member

this is the first time i've actually had a "valentine" and i've still always liked it

my mom has always bought me something though... little chocolates and such

i think its a cute idea

5. Foladh

Foladh Member

lol i duno i just never liked it , im not insecure or anythin , some of my friends r .

6. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I used to be really bitter about it, and got over it and learned to take the time to do something special for myself those years I had no lover to share the day with.

7. Adgreyga

Adgreyga Member

there's definatly someone i want to be my valentine this year, it would be like a dream come true or something to have a valentine for the 1st time with this guy i know from my school.....he likes me alot too but for some reason nothing has really happened yet so i dont think we'll end up together for the lovers holiday :(

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i really like that kind of attitude :D

9. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

that's the spirit!

10. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Blah.

The only holiday worse than Valentine's Day is Christmas. =\

Not to be a V-Day scrooge, but ... yeah.

11. jamaica

jamaica Member

i don't need a day to know how my boyfriend feels about me. i doubt we will do anything on the 14th, if i even see him.

12. Small_Brown

Small_Brown Senior Member

I've never had anyone to spend it with, so I dont like it. :(

13. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I don't like Valentine's day personally. I do like what it celebrates; love, but it just kind of goes against my nature. What I love about love is sponteneity - the moment. The sponteniety of a moment is a truly great place to be - where both of you know it and kind of go with it and then like from a dream you wake up next to each other the next day feeling great both thinking wow, what a great day, thank you. To me that's love in rythm with nature.

Now Valentines Day to me is kind of the anti-moment. It's a day on the calender. Lovers can't just magical make the moment on that day - make it one of those days you'll always remember. They can be thoughtful for sure - but making it 'the day', the 'moment' just seems kind of forced to me.

14. jamaica

jamaica Member

^^ what he said sums up how i feel pretty much.

15. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

Meh. It gets slightly depressing but who cares. :/

16. sooty_the_kat

sooty_the_kat Senior Member

makes me wanna puke

17. puddin

puddin Banned

it makes me want to blow up the hallmark factory

18. PrincessJewel

PrincessJewel Member

wow that really described it well. this will actually b the first year i've had anyone on valentines, so i've been looking forward to it, but i realize exactly what you're saying. just a day meant for lovers doesn't really make it as speacial as the moments together when things just fall into place without being planned. those are the moments that really make your relationship special. i can understand why all of you dont like valentines so much cuz i've been right there with you guys all these years...but i never got myself down and depressed. it was just like another day, only extra chocolates and what not from other friends, or maybe a flower from an admirer, but nothing as special as what i ever wished for. i hope this valentine's won't be depressing for anyone and we can all celebrate the meaning of the day, which is to celebrate love. not really with a special someone, but with anyone. just let people close to you know you care for them and love them. that's what we really should do instead putting the main focus on relationships with our lovers.

19. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

I hate how commercialized it is... it's a great idea to set aside a special day for your SO, but suddenly it's all about cards, candy, balloons, flowers, jewelry and other gifts. And primarily for the female in a m/f relationship.... guys get to spend the day with their gal and somehow that's considered sufficient (not saying all couples are like this, just the vday stereotype)

That said, my mom usually buys me choclate from this really good chocolatier, very high quality, and I like that! But for her, it's more an excuse to do something nice, than a requirement. And I'm gonna be getting her some flowers, I think, so it'll be even.

So maybe each couple should set aside their own day to appreciate one another, rather than have a(n) (inter?)national day to do that. It's a lot more special and individualized that way!

oh, and for this Vday, since it happens to be during spring break from school, a gal pal and I are having a dinner party for some of our friends, because we love cooking way too much for univ students.

20. PrincessJewel

PrincessJewel Member

thats a good idea