Valentines day a good excuse to ask a girl out?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by bigmannn, Feb 8, 2009.

1. bigmannn

bigmannn Member

Theres this girl I kinda like in one of my classes that I plan on talking to alot more this week. Anyways could I use valentines day as a way of asking her out? Do you think its a good idea for a first date or coming on to strong?

2. GregTheMagician

GregTheMagician Senior Member

depends what you mean exactly:

-asking her out ON valentines day. Might be a good idea, especially considering the way she will feel being single on valentines day. she'll probably be dying for someone to ask her out.

-asking her out in the week beforehand for a valentines date. might not be such a good idea. giving yourself under a week to prepare for valentines day is seting yourself up to be in major trouble

3. AlawlessLulu69420

AlawlessLulu69420 Member

Hmm i think asking her out before hand gets her more excited and gives her time to get ready

4. bigmannn

bigmannn Member

I like that thinking. Although the guy above you makes a good point too.

5. coffeelover23

coffeelover23 Member

Here's my take on the situation:

You don't really have much time to plan ahead at this point, but I would ask her out Thursday or Friday. And I would ask her today.

I think having the first date on Valentines day might be setting up the wrong expectations for both people, and could cause problems when going for a second date if it V-day doesn't meet her expectations for whatever reason. Remember: she wants the night to be perfect just like everyone else.

The first date should be more like a hangout, to get to know each other outside of the school setting. Once you've spent some time flirting and hanging out, you'll find out if you really want to spend the money / energy on Saturday to take her out again.

This way, you have more to talk about and know she's already interested in you before you try to go for the big romantic valentine's day date. It also shows her that you're not just asking her out purely for the sake of having a date on valentine's day.

Hope this helps man, go for it! Good luck

Valentine's Day Cards

6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

If she still doesn't have a valentine, she is probably a little jaded to the whole day but still doesn't wan't to spend it alone.

I would make it lighthearted and not valentine day-esque at all. I'd turn it into an anti-valentine's day date. It's a humorous way to spend the night with her without setting the wrong tone or expectations.

7. mmg

mmg fish out of water

that will probably seem a bit desperate.

there is a whole lifetime in every moment to have love for one another and everything. valentines day is the commercialization of one of the most abstract emotions, love, for the benefit of the hedonistic industries like candy, wine, food, and others such as greeting cards and stuffed animals. its all very lame.

just ask her in a really cute voice "will you be my valentine?", gauge her response and then elevate to smooches.

also, if you have anxiety about this kind of thing, i know i used to, then just give love to everyone and it will be more natural when you want to be focused on one person with your loving attention.

8. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

You don't really need an excuse to ask someone out. You could just ask to do something special with them under the cover of valentines, but I think it'd be just as meaningful any other day of the week.