Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, May 21, 2004.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm taking classes in the allied health field and have to have a battery of vaccinations. I spoke to a vegan who absolutely refuses innoculations. Anyone share that sentiment?

2. ericf

ericf Member

I understand it. And I would recommend that people who are not high risk avoid vaccinations. That is just common sense though. If you don't have a high chance of exposure to something harmful... why are you going to expose yourself to something harmful? Yes it is less harmful to you but still.

There are many things that are worse. Drug testing for example... to test for a drug usually uses an antigen (immunoassay). Well, to develop that antigen the animals are injected will all sorts of stuff to make them produce it and then it is extracted from them. Much like a vaccine except that no one is going to be healed from a drug test. Of course, a vegan would have a right to refuse on moral grounds and demand a mass spectrometry test. It is cruelty free but a lot more accurate with much lower cutoff levels. Not a good way to avoid getting caught.

The best example would be antivenom. It is cruel to make -- probably more than either of the above but I don't know the specifics. But... when you are bit you NEED the antivenom (well sometimes) to survive. Although a strict vegan would be opposed, I think it would be wise to take it. Which is why I say vaccinations would be okay in a high risk field.

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I agree with Eric.

I've had the full whack so far because my parents are assholes and think I'm just freaking out of the needles (a major factor, but not the whole reason) as fledgling grown up I shall reasearch very thoughly what does into me in the name of medicine. But it hasn't been an issue yet so no words of wisdom at this moment in time.
    There is plenty of info on why innoculations are bad news online.

TTFN

Sage

4. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

~Sam~ added a comment or two about her opinion on vaccinations in the Science forum. Worth a read IMHO.