VA Tech shootings

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by shaggie, Apr 16, 2007.

1. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

2. BelladonnaBlue

BelladonnaBlue Member

Please, everyone...offer your prayers to the God/Goddess of your choice. Lift up the victims and their loved ones. I'm heartsick today after this tragedy.

Sending love to all,
    Bella

3. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

the shootings were 2 hours apart! i knew about ithe first this morning, sipping my coffee. why didn't the students who were in danger know? why didn't they notify the students of the danger until it was actually happening? how many lives could have been saved?

4. mandell

mandell Banned

O you Compassionate Ones, defend this one who is defenseless. Protect him who is unprotected. Be his force and his kinsmen. Protect him from the great gloom of the bardo. Turn him from the red storm wind of karma. Turn him from the great awe and terror of the Lords of Death. Save him from the long narrow passage way of the bardo.

O you Compassionate Ones, let not the force of your compassion be weak; but aid him. Let him not go into misery. Forget not your ancient vows; and let not the force of your compassion be weak.

- Tibetan Buddhist prayer for the dead

5. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

we all played a part =(

6. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

Save your philosophical bullshit, you stupid ****. I didn't play a part, and I resent some pretentious pseudo-intellectual telling me I did. Get bent.

7. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

8. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

Alright, we're square. That was the classiest reply ever.

9. Poem~Girl

Poem~Girl Member

Instead of arguing over what should have been done or what has been done ... Be thankful what wasn't done because a lot worse could have happened. Be thankful only 33 ppl have died and not 33,000 ppl. Theres still a lot of ppl that have to grieve anmd a lot of ppl that need to mourn ...That guy who did the crime , had the opprtunity to get councelling .. But you cannot force one to go and he was told he couldn't partake in his English play writing because they were so violent and he was sent out for councelling ....Thats when he declined. And further more we do not know what goes on inside someones head day in and day out when they are in a screwed up dysfunctional family health problems no money for prescriptions they themselves have no boundaries thats why they heave over our boundaries and foremost they strive to get loved. If one isn't loved and wants to be they want to gert attention and if they don't get attention and we stick our noses in the wrong way look at them the wrong angle ... heaven for bitsy god only knows what will happen.

Just thank God .. Or whoever you want to thank that there was nothing more that happened..

Take care

T

10. broony

broony Banned

What The Fuck Is Wrong With People?

11. Poem~Girl

Poem~Girl Member

What The Fuck Is Wrong With People?

directing that at Cho?

12. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

This is a horrible thing to happen. My heart goes out to all who was affected. I just wrote a lesson plan that is based on conflicts in school that lead to violence. It's called "Peaceful Education" or "Conflict Resolution Education." We need more curricula based on this.

13. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

In my opinion, the gunman is just a product of what we have done to him, and yes, it is all of us because each of us has picked on or teased a person, in a loving or unloving way. It's just something that we do as people. I'm not saying hey you! it's your fault! no. i am saying, hey, dont point fingers at anyone but ourselves. media and what not point fingers at the gunman's mentality, why? because he was picked on his whole life? its not like he just went on a shooting spree because he was "mentally diseased", he just a product of people did to him all his life. other people point fingers at gun control, why? gun control has nothing to do with this other than selling another gun to an adult male, I think that happens everyday..am I wrong? I don't stand up for the guy, but like max karson said, "I can see why a man killed 33 people..."..and the media is just going on this because it boosts ratings, what do you think went through nbc employees when that package arrived and saw everything it contained? "oh man, we have this package, we should inform the public of this and let them know what was going through this guy's head and for the better of the people, etc. etc." no..this was what they were thinking, "hey, we got this package that no other news company recieved, damn, this is going to boost our ratings big time!!!way to go kid!!thanks for helping us out!!" it might sound cruel, but so is picking on a kid his whole life until he finally cracks and decides to shoot the very people that made him that way...im contradicting and debating for both sides, and my mind is confused about this whole situation, so yea....hopefully all of you kept an open mind while reading this.

14. kitty fabulous

certainly the teasing aggravated it, but from what i've read the gunman had a mental illness that was biological in nature. his mental illness was known, he had a record of police contact, both these things by law should have not allowed him to purchase the guns. he had been declared a danger to himself, but was sold the gun due to a loophole in the law. apparently when students and teachers had complained and attempted to do something about his behavior and were told by administrators that he had no record, in spite of the fact that he did in fact have a record that screamed warnings. the college administration and the police dropped the ball.

teasing and bullying is a terrible, terrible thing. it is not something i condone, and schools need better policies dealing with bullies, and the unpopular kids who often get punished for reacting inappropriately to being other people's targets. however, in cho's case, the bullying was not the only factor. he had a mental illness that needed serious treatment, and probably hospitalization, and was denied that by the systems' incompetence.

15. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

That is true...very true. He did have an illness, but I just can't see him being blamed only for that reason, you know? i grew up a good kid until I was about 10, then I moved to chicago, and I have been the outcast and turned out to be the leader of the outcasts, the once, kid who like the popular girl and they would talk a lot, to the guy who had different views..maybe he had different views(well he obviously did) people think he is nuts for saying he is like jesus, but I can see where he is coming from with saying that. I feel sympathetic for him, but I don't support what he did, yes, he did need help. But again, you can't say he wasn't all there and just went killing random people, because if you think about it, he didn't kill his roommates. They always tried to communicate with him, and i think that cho saw that as a reaching out, therefore they should not die. So anyways, I dont support him, but I don't support people pointing the finger at him.

16. kitty fabulous

i do not feel sympathetic for him. i have been unpopular, i have been teased, harrassed, and beaten. i know a lot of people who have struggled with mental illnesses and never harmed anyone. i find the idea of turning him into some kind of misunderstood anti-hero just becaue the system was full of incompetent fucks to be repulsive.

the bottom line is regardless of how the system fucked up, he is still the one responsible for the slaughter of 32 innocent, promising people, many of whom may have has struggles and problems of their own and yet still refrained from shooting people.

17. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

yes, this is true, and like I said, I am just trying to see it from both sides, because to really understand something, you have to look at both aspects to gain and see your own...i dont feel like, hey, this guy was right in what hes done, no, he is not, at all, i feel sympathetic for him because of the hurt and pain he went through in his life, you can hear the pain he has in his manifesto, thats pain, and you could see it, but as far as supporting his decision, hell no. There could have and should have been something done to avoid this situation, if all the campus did was "try" then they fail, but then again, you can never succed(is that how you spell it) unless you fail.

18. kitty fabulous

i think that the system failed him grossly on every level. in do soing, they failed all of us.

19. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

F'in true...f'in true...