Utopia.

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Jimbee68, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

It certainly is a staple of the fictional Star Trek universe. Some day we will live in an ideal world. A utopia in other words.

But really how likely is such a thing? And when?

Because wouldn't it be wonderful to live in a world where everyone mattered? Where even one homeless person, one starving person is too many?

FWIW I think every year perfectly divisible by 80 is a significant year. For this reason I think 2160 might be a pivotal year, a point when everything comes to its full fruition. And that is around the time in the fictional Star Trek universe when it all happens. And their predictions are often accurate. So you never know.

What do the rest of you think?

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I think I'll be dead by then.

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

We have it pretty good though.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Therefor..?

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, we came a long way already. But I also think a significant amount of our ancestors would not dig our current society (like, a lot of cities, a lot of cultural changes, how we deal with our luxuries, etc.), despite likely being impressed with certain technology, or the overall numbers regarding poverty, education etc.

soulcompromise likes this.
  7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Different people are going to have different ideas of what utopia would be.

We're too much of consumers to make it happen and while I don't necessarily ascribe to the idea of Nietzche's Übermensch , that being a type of people who are essentially super-human, there is a tremendous amount of variability in humans and I cannot imagine resolving all those different views, aspirations, ideas to form a utopian society.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I can.

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

why do you think this?

10. World leaders will never allow utopia to happen. Some people always have to be a head above everybody else.

11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

One person's idea of utopia might be another's idea of a living hell.

Irminsul likes this.
  12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

14. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I don't know why I think it. It just seems to be true for some unknown reason. I have been interested in patterns like this for over 20 years. I guess they just pop up (the patterns), for no apparent reason. Maybe there is some sociological reason for them.

Btw, I have also found social movements seem to come to their full fruition on a 90 year pattern. 2160 also comes up this way interestingly enough.

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Nah I can't wait that long.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there is no point beyond which further improvement is no longer possible.
    but it is possible to create a world in which no one need fear their continued existence, nor lack opportunities for creative gratification.
    this latter is kind of a minimum for admission to galactic civilization.

we may not have long to wait, for a time, when our environment will no longer support many of our familiar assumptions.
    thus forcing us to reexamine any we may have yet to, simply to survive.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  17. You sure about that, themnax? It could be that some civilizations are so close to being God that they had to take a step back before they became virtually non-existent.

I think there are just some things we could do without. Like warfare, for example. All of these weapons should just be melted down.

18. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

In many ways, utopia's have and still do exist. The main argument against that would be that conflict itself can never be abolished. Especially with communities outside your egalitarian one.

19. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

You could say an ant colony is utopia for ants. It functions perfectly according to the laws of nature and can't be improved upon. Insectopia indeed.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

When an ant dies, it excretes a scent that lets other ants know it is dead so they can bury it. Sometimes this scent gets caught on the helper ants and other ants will try to bury it alive even though it isn't dead.