using a hard copy map

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by thefutureawaits, May 4, 2018.

1. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

does anyone still do this? I could use a Thomas guide right now

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

yes. i love the darn things. if i were to collect things, they are one of the things i would collect.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

my mom does. and she recently bought a new one, so there must be some sort of a market for them.

i hate GPS, but i do prefer making my own route on an internet map rather than a paper one.

4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Only kind of map I'd own

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No way, you buy one today it's outdated tomorrow with a new road opening. Only way to go is Google Maps. :)

Google maps not only guides me to my destination, but it takes me on the best route possible according to real traffic delays and timing. It will take me on the shortest possible route taking into account accidents, traffic delays and congestions.

So while you hard copy folk are sitting in traffic because you've only selected one route, the helpful lady in my phone is whizzing me all over the place. :p

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I wish I knew how to use a map. I actually went to wilderness camp without really learning this. I vaguely remember at some point an excursion where we had compasses. That implies a map, and I can recall lining up the compass directions with the directions on the map. But I'll be darned if I can remember how that works at all. I need to refresh my memory of these sorts of things. But then I'd have to go outside, and I'm pretty concerned about wildlife.

But you probably mean a road map. I don't have much experience with those to be honest. I have used google maps on occasion, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a road map.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't need a compass I have a very good sense of direction. Not too sure how, I just remember growing up I took a big interest in the North. My bedroom window pointed north and I'd remind myself of that every day. It's almost as if I've an internal magnet for it. You put me in a room and tell me to face north and I'll nail it. Once you've a general understanding of an geographical placement of certain things, and you know which way is North, it's easy being out in the woods if you're "lost" I think.

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Hard copy maps went out before phone books.

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well yeah, can you really "own" a google map? maybe if you printed it out, but then it becomes a hard copy anyway.

10. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Good point. Guess you got me there :sweat:

11. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

there are pros and cons to google maps and fold out maps... realtime traffic is a big pro. but sometimes what looks like a fast route isn't. Often I find google and mapquest ,or the like, send you on major arteries when sometimes the back nine will work just as well. But of course, this only works when you're familiar with an area. I'm talking about in my city. And that dragging feature to choose your preferred route often ends up messy and visually unintelligible. If you're in a wilderness area, or sailing out to sea where no signal is possible, you certainly need to learn compass, sextant and map skills. But in populated areas where you are unfamiliar, GPS is a safe bet. I say know both. Good to have failsafe.

12. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

everyone can't avail themselves of internet/GPS on phone, in car. I don't have it. Can't afford it. My cell is a dumb phone. Calls, messages for emergency or instances when I'm out and need to call someone for info. Everyone is not as fortunate as you.

RetiredHippie likes this.
  13. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Yup.

I think even if you have a sat nav or modern mobile an old-fashioned back-up map is still a good idea.

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  14. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Yes,but only when I'm looking for treausre or loot

15. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Georgia is going hands-free July 1st.

You cannot touch a device unless you are pulled off the road.

I don't know how this will affect GPS users.

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Because X marks the spot?

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

When we were kids my sisters and I buried some rocks with gold spec in them thinking we'd be rich one day. We drew up a map and buried that also. I'm not sure if anyone ever found the gold now we have long moved on lol. Or if they found the map. Definitely would have eroded by now even in the sandwich bags I think.

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

They're still printing new ones here. Atlasses and hard copy maps that is. Not sure about phonebooks.
    The demand has decreased but there still is some.

19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The advantage of a paper map, like a road map, is that you can see the whole picture without having to scroll around or zoom in and out.

Unless you have a screen the size of a road map, then you're okay.
    Also GPS devices and programs screw up from time to time. I have ended up in more than one cow pasture using one.

I like the Delorme Gazetteer maps as they show every road in the state, even dirt ones.
    They also show topography which is very handy.

[​IMG]
    And if you're hiking a trail a paper trail map will show overall elevations, potable water sources such as springs, roads, distances between camp sites, access points and parking areas, points of interest, re-supply stores, side trails and blaze colors, and a side profile of the trail itself showing elevations and inclines/declines of the trail.
    They also contain a description of the trail north and south in 1/10th mile increments such as: at 1.2 South trail makes sharp turn to the right and descends rapidly. 1.3 large rocks, 1.4 cross small stream, etc.
    Then they go over the same trail looking north.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Asmodean likes this.
  20. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

I use maps all the time.