Useful Supplies Needed for our '4ums' Kitchen Campfire Scene at the Gathering

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by m6m, May 10, 2004.

1. m6m

m6m Member

The following is a list of useful kitchen supplies that will be needed for our '4ums' campsite at this year's Gathering.

Large Pots.
    Large frying pans and woks
    Large stirring and serving spoons
    Vegetable knives and parring knives
    Large cutting boards
    Large firepit grates
    Large food bowls with lids
    Large waterproof table cloths
    First Aid kits
    Fire extinguishers
    Large rain tarps
    Many folding chairs
    Several 5gal. plastic buckets
    Several 5gal. metal buckets (for heating shower and laundry water)
    Large plastic trash bags
    Books and Magazines
    Games
    Musical instruments

Bulk brown rice, bulk beans, bulk oats, bulk whole wheat, bulk TVP, bulk cooking oil, potatoes, oranges, lemon/limes, apples, bananas, oranges, cabbage, beets, carrots, honey, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, condiments, spices, coffee, tea, cocoa.

Shovels, picks, saws, hatchets, draw knives.

Now, if the Western Drought is really bad, then they may not allow open campfires.
    So, if anyone could bring a couple of extra Coleman stoves just in case, that would be a real wise move.

2. SexyDreads

SexyDreads Member

I can supply herbs/spices, honey and soy sauce.

Glad I can help! But Im wondering, why the saw? Will we be destroying something? A shovel is much necessary to prevent root fires. And the pick?

Peace,
    Jessica

3. m6m

m6m Member

Hey Sexydreads,

The saws are for cutting the kitchen counters out of whatever downed branches we find laying about.

I picture two u-shaped kitchen counters side by side approximately 12'x20' each.

These counters are for food preparation and serving.

The shovels and picks are for digging the latrines, compost holes, wastewater holes, and our two firepits; one for cooking and one for socializing.

And those supplies you're going to bring are going to be a biiiiig help.

4. paix

paix Senior Member

I might be able to bring nutritional yeast, about how much would you say we're gonna need?

5. m6m

m6m Member

Hi Paix,

It's hard to calculate with nutritional yeast. It's so light. But I bet 3 to 5 pounds should be enough. Maybe too much, I mean not everybody uses it, or even knows what it is.

6. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Nut yeast...magic hippie dust...unlike rice & beans, you can't have too much of it. If you run out of, say, popcorn, and still have yeast left, you can trade some of the yeast for more popcorn...

Didn't see your post there, m6m. Looks like we posted at the same time. I oughta shut up, as I am not Kitchen Crew...

7. paix

paix Senior Member

I can get big old 12 oz cans at whole foods for pretty cheap, I've gotta go grocery shopping tommorow, so I'll price them and see, but I think I'll be able to bring that...

m6m, did you say that you're ariving the 14th or 15th in a post before? I'm thinking about riding up with a friend, and if I do go with him I'll be getting there the 15th most likley. Just wanted to check and see who else was ariving around that same time

8. m6m

m6m Member

Yeh Paix,

I do intend on getting there on the 14th or 15th of June. Wherever 'there' is.
    Can you get any popping corn at whole foods? Hint hint.

9. paix

paix Senior Member

haha, I'll check it out, I was gonna ask about that next :p

10. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

popping corn? like to make popcorn?

11. paix

paix Senior Member

is there another kind?

I think I'll be able to bring a 22 oz tin of nut. yeast, and popping corn shouldn't be too hard to come by. looks like I'm gonna be heading up on betweeb the 22nd and 25th, 25th at the very latest, unless I find a ride up before then, can't wait!

luvin ya'll!
    Molly

12. m6m

m6m Member

Let's start getting ready!

Remember, as far as you are capable, and as much as you can share, bring food! Non-refridgerated bulk food.
    We might need a coleman cookstove if there is a burn-ban.