US relief efforts in Southeast Asia

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Paul, Dec 31, 2004.

1. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Sent the money that he diddn't? what do you mean?

2. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I said than, not that....

3. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

sad fact is even if the US was not in a war ....it still would not send large amounts of money

4. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

ah yes, that's a N not a T.

But isn't $350 million a large sum of money?

5. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

not really.........the US is spending billions for the war

6. Revenant Phantasm

Revenant Phantasm Member

I ask a question because i would like to be a bit more educated on the current situation, how much money would that area affected by the quake and its aftermath need all together from all countries?

7. Peace-Phoenix

Depends in what context. Crunch a few figures, and it seems fairly pitiful. 3000 die on September 11th 2001 and the US government raises it's security budget by 40%, several hundred billion dollars a year. Over 100,000 people die as a result of the Tsunami and a minor fraction of that money is spent on rhemedying that situation. Obviously countries will value the lives of their citizens more than others, it goes without saying, that's why nation states exist, but it still makes you think. Moreover, if the US government so chose, it could do much to wipe out world hunger and poverty. America would be loved by much the world instead of hated. Think what a deterrent against terrorism that would be. Far more than chucking another hundred billion into defence, and starting wars left right and centre....

8. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

A lots being done, but if your asking how much damage in terms of $$$ has been done, its completly incalculable right now... there have been islands that have disapeared.

9. Revenant Phantasm

Revenant Phantasm Member

a rough estimate of $-$ would be nice, but the damage done in $ is much different than the amount of $ for repairs.

10. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

You're being naive...

A lotta this moneys going to end up in pokets of Indonesian guerillas... I'm not saying we shouydn't give money... but it makes you kinda nervous giving money to people who may end up using it to kill you.

11. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

We don't even have a good death count yet... it could be a lot higher then the number we got now.

12. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I dunno why I'm talking about politics now...

I'm crazy hungover. [​IMG]

13. Peace-Phoenix

What's the price of a life?

14. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

sadly ......pocket change

15. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Who says there is... I read an Indonesian article that the death toll in indonesia could be as high as 6 times what has been officially reported... that would bring death tolls overall to 500,000... I dunno how accurate that is. But its horrible.

16. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

PR exercise? Well not intentionally, but imagine the bad press the US would get if it didn't help?

I guess only time will tell whether I'm being too cynical ~ I'm more concerned with their attempts to organise and coordinate rather than how much they have given ... Maybe it's a case of once bitten twice shy but I just don't trust the US government. (Or any of the G8 group)

However, this has made me realise just how much money can be found in a short time if need be ~ One minute we're being told how we need to cut back on this, reduce spending on that ... Then all of a sudden their pockets seem to be bulging and money is being given freely (and rightfully too)

What the world really needs is a total rethink on how we use its resources ... Unfortunately the chances of that happeneing are several zillion to one against.