URGENT:Vegan Cake?!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Apples+Oranjes, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I need a good vegan cake recipe by Thursday!! Preferably chocolate.....
    My birthday is on Friday and my pops wants to make me a vegan cake for my birthday...

So if any of you have any vegan cake recipes, [include frosting recipe too please!] it would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Don't hesitate to post more than one!! Then I can have some options to choose from...

THANK YOU!!!!!! :D

2. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

I have the awesome recipe book How It All Vegan. I'll give you some recipes:

CHOCOLATE CAKE
    3 cups flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup cocoa powder
    3/4 cup margarine
    1 1/2 cups dry sweetener (sugar or sucanat)
    1/4 cup water
    2 cups soy milk
    2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, bakig soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a blender or food processor, blend together the margarine, sweetener, and water. Add this to flour mixture along with the soymilk and vanilla, and mix together gently until "just mixed". Pour into a loghtly oiled cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Test with a fork to see if it's done.

VANILLA CAKE
    1 1/2 cups flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    3/4 cup dry sweetener
    3/4 cup soymilk
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup oil
    egg replacer (to equal 1 egg) You could use for example: 1/4 cup tofu, 3 tbsp apple sauce, or 1/2 a banana.
    Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the sweetener, soymilk, vanilla, oil, and egg replacer and mix together gently until "just mixed". Pour into a lightly oiled cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check with a knife to see if done.

COFFEE ICING
    2 cups medium tofu
    1/2 cup dry sweetener
    1/4 cup oil
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2-3 tbsp coffee or Inka
    dash of salt
    In a blender or food processor blend all the ingredients together until well mixed. Pour into a medium bowl and chill for at least 2 hours before using.

NUT BUTTER ICING
    3 tbsp margarine
    1/2 cup dry sweetener
    1/3 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
    2 tbsp soy milk
    1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
    In a medium bowl or food processor, mix together the margarine, sweetener, and nut butter. Add the milk and mix well. Stir in nuts before using.

CHOCOLATE ICING
    1 cup cold water
    5 tbsp flour
    1 cup dry sweetener
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    6 tbsp margarine
    3 tbsp cocoa powder
    In a small saucepan, whisk together the water and flour constantly over medium heat until thick (about the consistency of glue). Be careful not to burn it! Once thick, remove from heat and cool off completely by setting the pot in a slightly larger pan of cold water, or a sink with a bit of cold water. While it;s cooling, in a medium bowl, mix together the sweetener, vanilla, margarine, and cocoa powder until well mixed. Add the cooled floru mixture to the bowl and stir together until there are no lumps. Let cool in the fridge for 30-60 ninutes before using.

"ANYTHING GOES" ICING
    1/4 cup margarine
    2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
    2 tbsp soy milk
    1 tbsp "Anything Goes" extract (lemon, peppermint, vanilla, or maple extract, etc.)
    In a food processor or medium bowl, mix together the margarine with 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Add remaining sugar alternately with soymilk, mixing until smooth. Stir in the extract until consistency is light and spreadable.

3. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I could have sworn margarine wasnt vegan....?

4. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

Margarine usually is vegan. Sometimes it's not, so check the ingredients anyway when you buy it.

I think margarine was originally invented so that Kosher people could have something butterlike without it being dairy. So most of the time, it's vegan.

If you want, you could probably substitute it with Smart Balance or any other vegan butter-like spread.

5. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I do have a vegan *butter* replacement, but it doesn't melt, blend...or anything so I dont think it would work well in cake. I tried to melt some and drizzle it over veggies but it wouldnt melt....odd Ill check later and tell you what its called and see if you know anything about it

6. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Hey Bekka,

Try looking around for this: Soy Garden vegetable spread. It's LIKE a margarine, except, it tastes almost EXACTLY like butter, it melts just like butter, you can use it exactly like butter, and its made from soy and is super healthy for you -- no hydrogenated oils either. It's also vegan; it says so right on the lid. =)

7. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

Soy Garden rocks! My picky husband won't eat Earth Balance, but he LOVES Soy Garden (which is made by the same company as EB). I personally can't tell the difference, but he swears that it tastes exactly like butter.

8. Magical Mystery Girl

Magical Mystery Girl Member

Never heard of Soy Garden... I'll check for it! My favorite egg substitute when I bake is mixing 1/4 cup puréed banana with 1/2 tsp. of baking powder (equivilent to 1 egg). Mix it together until the banana seems to dissolve into a magic putty-like texture. It adds a nice sweetness to whatever you're baking. :)

I always simply replace eggs for with the banana mixture and milk with soy milk in whatever recipe I have to create a vegan alternate.

9. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

10. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Thanks...
    I dont think there is anything like that around here... you must understand Wisconsin is the dairy state; it was a hassle just trying to find the stuff I did, and vegan cheeze is non existent around here.

Is there anyway I can order it from or...anything like that?

Thanks as always, man :D

<3

11. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

And I checked the stuff I have is called "Spectrum"

Sounds top quality, hey? lmao...

12. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

Here are some recipes that don't require margarine. There all from www.vegweb.com, they have a lot of good vegan recipes there.

Chocolate cakes
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/sweets/178.shtml
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/sweets/73.shtml
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/sweets/4740.shtml

Chocolate frostings
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/sweets/4678.shtml
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/sweets/2044.shtml

Or, you can order cake mixes from www.veganessentials.com You just need to add soymilk and whatever egg replacer you want.

13. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Vegan Essentials is only about 20 mins from my house...no need to order. But a box-mix cake isn't exactly what I was looking for....

Thank you for the links!!!! <3

14. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

Oh, I thought that you said there wasn't a lot of vegan food near you. Maybe you just meant the margarine.

Well... tried to help.

15. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Yes, there's vegan essentials...but the store front hours are horrible and I can never get down there

it's open I think 10-6PM on weekdays... and well I usually work til 5ish so I never have time

Its never open on the weekends.... isn't that cheap?!

16. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

and I meant its hard to find replacement dairy products, like margarine/butter or cheeze

i have no problems finding anything else really

17. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

Yeah, those hours remind me of bank hours.
    Those lazy bankers.

18. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

lol for sure

its okay though, I took some of the recipes you gave me, and some others; ill let my dad choose what sounds best, because ...I'm not too keen on baking.

thank you :)

19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

oleo margrine was developed so the fightin' boys in the World Wars could have first dibs on butter.
    PLEASE don't assume things about kosher or Halel.
    Most margarine is OU Dairy if labeled kosher at all, so that throws that out the window.
    Earth Balance, avail in tubs and sticks is marvelous in baking.
    POst Punk Kitchen has a great vegan baking section.

20. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

I'm not "assuming". I remembered reading it online somewhere.