Upgrading to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Idlewild, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

I've been reluctant to upgrade from Windows 7, but I can't put off the inevitable any longer. I never had any major problems with Windows 7 until Microsoft installed the final update, after which time, Windows started crashing and I'd see the dreaded blue-screen-of-death. Never once did that happen before the final update. Evidently, Microsoft decided to install a bug to encourage people to upgrade.

So my computer is now creating Windows 10 media. Apparently, it needs the media to upgrade. Now it's prepping my computer.

I don't really have a problem with Microsoft products. I ran Linux for a while and with Windows, you spend less time dealing with the OS and more time being productive, even though it's less secure, but I'm pretty careful about what I install. In the early days of PCs, Linux was a lot more stable than Windows, but Windows has come a long ways.

If this fails, however, I don't know if I'm going to pay for Windows 10. I may switch to Linux just so I don't pay for a Microsoft product.

Whelp, here it goes...

2. Very Fast Car

Very Fast Car Members

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I like Windows 10. I think that the Chromebook is running a Linux OS based on Ubuntu or something though. We have one of those that my mom uses to read the news. They're all a little different between OSs, but it's not a very steep learning curve in my honest opinion. If you're familiar with computers they aren't terribly different. And Google is your friend... You can always Google (or Bing or whatever else) a question about your new OS.

Windows 10 looks and feels different than Windows 7. That's the main complaint I have heard about it in different words. People get used to one thing and they complain when it changes...

I really like Windows 10, but I've already had for however many years it's been so I'm used to already. It has Cortana, which I used to hate but now all the voice assistant features are less invasive - I am spoiled by Google's Voice Assistant on my cell phone so Cortana isn't much different. When Cortana first came out I didn't have the assistant on my phone and giving voice commands to the computer seemed reallly weird.

If I had one word of advice it would be this: embrace the change. Microsoft has done us all a favor with this stuff in my opinion.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

By stealing all your data...

5. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Looks like it worked! And my audio interface started working again! Whoo-hoo!! I was having problem with it and it finally stopped working, but now it works again! Hopefully, it just didn't like Windows 7.

As far as Cortana, I disabled that. I don't need a voice assistant.

GLENGLEN, ZenKarma and soulcompromise like this.
  6. soulcompromise

Welll... What are they using it for though? :)

I agree that it feels invasive that they want your phone number or your email address so that you can use their "app" for something. Or that it asks if you want to allow Microsoft to collect data to help them cater to the masses... lol.

I think that we can trust it but they should realize that people aren't totally comfortable with it in this country.

7. soulcompromise

If you ever can't find something, Cortana might know where it is... like a feature or something that was on Windows 7 that you can't find on Windows 10.

8. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

An amazing feature of Windows 10 is the ability to run older software well. I am using Photoshop 7, and other older Adobe products without a hitch.

Glad you finally tool the plunge.

Idlewild likes this.
  9. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Can it help me find the charger for my RC car?

ZenKarma and soulcompromise like this.
  10. soulcompromise

:tearsofjoy:

ZenKarma likes this.
  11. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Microsoft - FORCE PLUNGE THOSE TOOLS!!!

12. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

Windows 10, a real pain in the arse, pure and simple! When I got my new laptop it ran Windows 10, I used it for work to programme machines, or interrogate systems for faults, I have various devices to enable me to do this and each one uses specific programmes to carry this out. Each time I had to use one of these tools the operating system, Windows 10, would throw up a message 'windows 10 has a programme that can carry out this task faster, would you like to use it' . So I would try it, it would spend about 5 minutes trying to run the programme and then throw up a message, 'sorry but Windows cannot perform this task'
    It did this with all the devices and in each case was unable to perform the task, it clearly seems to have an 'I'm smarter than you' thing about it, in the end I went into the settings and told it to use only the programmes it was told to use and not offer alternatives.

13. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I am used to it now

14. soulcompromise

Lol.

The real question is 'what are we afraid of' in all this? Is it that they might collect surreptitious information? I don't think I even have surreptitious information... :laughing:

No... there's nothing to be afraid of. The AI isn't going to stop time and throw a wrench into my every day affairs.

Nothing nefarious is afoot.

And it's unbearable to see anyone believe otherwise. :worried:

15. soulcompromise

Perhaps it's an issue of miscommunication...

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT MICROSOFT WINDOWS! :)

Orison likes this.
  16. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Yeah, when I installed it, I turned off everything related to Microsoft trying to "help" me. They should have the option: "Would you like Microsoft to get in your way when you're trying to work?"

phil1965 and Candy Gal like this.
  17. Candy Gal

18. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

I don't trust Microsoft one bit. Windows 7 worked just fine until their last update before they stopped supporting it. After the update, Windows started crashing regularly, which it had never done before. WTF?

So far, Windows 10 has been stable. And the upgrade was free, so I can't really complain. I probably should have upgraded a long time ago.

soulcompromise and Candy Gal like this.
  19. Candy Gal

Every few days I get annoying updates that drive me crazy.
    I downloaded an ad blocker, as Youtube has so many ads.
    The damn update removed it - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

20. soulcompromise

I like android and the advent of all that is what I'd call 'intuitive computing'. It's all very user friendly - I picked it up like magnetism. It's really easy to translate everything into Russian, add pictures to a messaging app, or add events to my calendar across multiple devices.

Windows 10 has too many features to properly understand, but it feels to me like it does an awful lot toward convenience for the organized.