Unschooling vs. normal school

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by unfocusedanakin, Feb 19, 2019.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Has anyone here been "unschooled"?

I recently heard of this and it disturbs me. It seems to come from some Americans politcal views that the goverment is by nature inefficient and corrupt. So they do not think tax to public schools is good and that the school indoctrinates them into "liberal thinking". IE the government is good, taxes help people, evolution is a real thing. They do not believe teachers can teach since they are part of this system. They as the parent know the most. So, rather then sending a child to school they are allowed to do whatever they want in the hope they teach themselves out of interest for the topic. I sort of agree with that. Of course a child will want to learn about what they like but at such a young age all the choice is not theirs. They need a basic background in general education. The personal choice of what to study comes in high school and college not elementary school.

This idea is extremely short sighted and arrogant to me. The hubris to think you can know everything. People study a field for decades and do not understand everything. There is so much human knowladge you have to trust others who study what you do not. That's why you have many teachers in school who all focus on one topic. What sort of teaching qualifications do these parents have? I would bet if we test these kids they are not on par with their public school peers of the same age.

Also, it's important for kids to encounter adults who are not their parents so they are exposed to different ideas. The wisest man knows there is much he does not know. These parents should remember that.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Idiots know it all.