Unpleasant side-effects of Covid 19

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Vladimir Illich, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

For those who have already had and recovered from Covid - 19 there are things to watch out for !!!

Thousands of Covid-19 survivors ‘could get sepsis within year’

PA
    Jul 28th 2020 6:58AM
    People diagnosed with coronavirus are being encouraged to familiarise themselves with the signs of sepsis after a report found as many as 20,000 Covid-19 survivors could be diagnosed with it within a year.

One in five Covid-19 survivors who required hospital treatment is at risk of sepsis within a year of being discharged, according to the UK Sepsis Trust (UKST).

The charity has estimated 100,000 people are going to be discharged from hospital in the UK having had Covid-19.

This means about 20,000 people could be put at risk of life-threatening sepsis, the charity said, as it called for the Government to invest in an awareness campaign.

Did you know? Dr Ron Daniels (@SepsisUK) explains the links between sepsis and CoViD-19

— The UK Sepsis Trust (@UKSepsisTrust) April 17, 2020

Sepsis is a life-threatening reaction to an infection. It happens when the body's immune system overreacts to an infection, which can lead to organ failure and death.

Dr Ron Daniels, founder of the UK Sepsis Trust, said it is really important people who have survived Covid-19 – whether mildly at home or in hospital – should be aware of the symptoms.

He said there are six signs that spell out the word sepsis – S for slurred speech or confusion, E for extreme pain in muscles or joints, P for passing no urine in a day, S for severe breathlessness, I for "it feels like I'm going to die" and S for skin that is mottled or discoloured.

The charity has a campaign that encourages people to ask "could it be sepsis?" to make sure the condition is at the forefront of the mind of the medic treating them.

Working with the York Health Economics Consortium, the UK Sepsis Trust has estimated that unless these additional sepsis cases are diagnosed early, many people could die and it could cost the NHS up to £1 billion.

These shocking data serve to remind us of the enormity of the threat of infectious disease to mankind

These shocking data serve to remind us of the enormity of the threat of infectious disease to mankind

Dr Ron Daniels
    The organisations said that for every patient who is diagnosed early there is a cash saving to the NHS of more than £5,500, meaning 20,000 sepsis patients could cost more than £1 billion in patient care and benefits.

"These shocking data serve to remind us of the enormity of the threat of infectious disease to mankind," Dr Daniels said.

"We urgently need all health professionals, as well as the general public, to be aware of the signs of sepsis and subsequently avoid adding to the magnitude of this issue.

"Failing to do so will apply even greater pressure on the NHS as they face traditional winter pressures and potentially a second wave of Covid-19.

"The UK Sepsis Trust is therefore asking the Government to invest in the 'Blurred Lines' awareness campaign – £1 million investment could save hundreds of lives and £200 million in treatment and benefits further down the line."

Nick Hex, associate director for the NHS and public sector at the York Health Economics Consortium, said: "There is a substantial economic cost associated with sepsis, both in terms of direct costs to the health system and costs to the wider economy.

"Raising awareness of sepsis can lead to avoidance of some of these costs through earlier identification and treatment."

Ajay0 and DrRainbow like this.
  2. Vladimir Illich

Coronavirus infectiousness wanes by day nine; long ICU stays linked with nerve damage

Reuters
    Jul 29th 2020 4:55PM
    The following is a brief roundup of some of the latest scientific studies on the novel coronavirus and efforts to find treatments and vaccines for Covid-19, the illness caused by the virus.

Covid-19 patients likely not infectious beyond 9 days

Covid-19 patients are unlikely to spread infectious virus particles beyond nine days after symptoms begin, even though virus is detectable in the nose and throat and stool for much longer, according to data compiled by UK researchers from 79 studies. RNA, the genetic material of the virus, was detectable in throat swabs for an average of 17 days from symptom onset, and for up to 83 days. But RNA itself is not infectious, lead researchers Muge Cevik and Antonia Ho told Reuters in an email. PCR tests that diagnose Covid-19 are so sensitive they can also detect non-viable genetic material, they explained. Studies that attempted to culture infectious virus were not successful beyond day 9, the researchers reported on medRxiv on Tuesday ahead of peer review. "Many studies agree patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection have very high viral load...in the first week of illness (and) seem to be most infectious from symptom onset to day 5," Cevik and Ho said. "This suggests many people by the time they are tested are already beyond their most infectious period," so those who suspect they may be ill should isolate themselves right away. People without symptoms are also likely most contagious soon after becoming infected, they said.

[​IMG]
    100 PHOTOS
    Coronavirus across the globe
    See Gallery
    Survivors of severe Covid-19 face nerve, muscle problems

Doctors expect that people with severe Covid-19 who survive weeks on a ventilator will face a well documented condition called ICU-Acquired Weakness. The condition leaves long-term intensive care unit (ICU) patients with nerve degeneration, muscle wasting, and debilitating weakness. Doctors at one large UK hospital say a significant proportion of their ICU patients with Covid-19 also develop a nerve condition called "axonal mononeuritis multiplex," with severe pain, loss of sensation, and movement problems confined to isolated regions on their limbs. Of 69 patients with severe Covid-19 who were discharged from the ICU after spending an average of a month on mechanical ventilators, 11 (16%) had axonal mononeuritis multiplex. While nerve damage is well recognized as an occasional complication of intensive care, "our experience suggests that such deficits are common and frequently disabling in patients recovering from Covid-19," they wrote in a paper posted on Wednesday on medRxiv ahead of peer review. "Given that this complication is evident in a significant proportion of the patients...the rehabilitation burden globally could be substantial," they said.

New T-cell data may point way to longer-lasting vaccines

Researchers who examined immune cells from 35 New Jersey patients recovering from Covid-19 have discovered that 90% of their foreign invader-killing T cells aim for targets other than the spike protein on the surface of the virus - the current focus of many vaccines in development. This suggests "that second-generation vaccines will need to incorporate these targets to generate long-term immunity to Covid-19," Gavin MacBeath of TScan Therapeutics told Reuters. Killer T cells, also known as cytotoxic or CD8+ T cells, clear viral infections and appear necessary for long-term immunity to coronaviruses, he explained. His team also found that "patients' CD8+ T cells recognize the same, relatively small number of targets that are unique to the novel coronavirus and don't tend to mutate, paving the way for diagnostic tests that detect immunity based on T cells," MacBeath said. The findings were reported on Monday on medRxiv ahead of peer review.

Beware of the reach of coronavirus 'superspreaders'

People with Covid-19 are unlikely to transmit the virus via exhaled droplets unless they are "superspreaders," researchers said in JAMA Network Open on Monday. But because there is no way for the average person to identify a superspreader, everyone should wear masks, they said. Researchers looked at data on the viral load in sputum and swab samples from coronavirus patients and available information on patterns of microdroplets exhaled and coughed by healthy individuals. They calculated that in a closed room about the size of a small office, most infected people would not put much virus into the air. But a person with a high viral load could put out a substantial amount of infectious material when simply breathing normally, they said. Emissions can be further boosted if such individuals are coughing, singing, shouting, and moreso when combining those activities with physical exercise, Michael Riediker of the Swiss Centre for Occupational and Environmental Health told Reuters. Emissions from a coughing superspreader even in well-ventilated rooms can result in airborne concentrations that bring along a serious risk of infection, he added.

Ajay0 and DrRainbow like this.
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

20,000 people could get sepsis

..buuut no one has so far

Okey Dokey

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

That one is a month old

5. Vladimir Illich

Then will you please explain this :

Reuters
    Jul 29th 2020 4:55PM

DrRainbow likes this.
  6. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Another reason for me not to leave the house. :)

jimandjan likes this.
  7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Covid 19 seems to have brought death out into the open in a way never seen before. Everything that you have mentioned has been true since the dawn of time, but we just accept that we don't live forever.

Septicemia in an organ is similar to gangrene in a limb. The person dies when the toxins from dead cells lead to unrecoverable toxic shock.
    The most common point of attack is the lungs, following vomit or infected liquids entering them. Perhaps the most common cause is people vomiting while drunk, followed fairly closely by vomiting during resuscitation from a heart attack. Today, hospitals and paramedics who arrive in time intubate the patient to lessen the risks.
    Another point of attack is the kidneys, where diabetic patients suffer the same outcome due to bacteria in excess sugar. This puts hyperglycemia patients at particular risk

When a limb starts to die trough lack of oxygenated blood, amputation, starting with extremities is the only solution.
    Despite being made well aware of the risks, people still continue eating burgers until a crane is needed to get them out of bed.

People simply don't realize that in the final stages, antibiotics are their final hope. By taking them previously for minor infections, they won't work when they are most needed.
    I blame greedy drug companies for helping to create this situation.

Returning to your original points. Although covid 19 is a nasty virus, they all equally apply to ANY viral attack that leads to bacterial infection.

Yes, like learning to cross the road, education will always save lives.
    A healthy diet, along with moderate exercise is probably the best general rout to a long life in a peaceful society..

Ajay0 likes this.
  8. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I'm just glad I'm .....
    upload_2020-7-30_20-31-40.jpeg

9. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Hmm T Cell OIP.jpeg

10. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Long Covid as it's called is a new phenomenom .Many different after affects,. With me it's insomnia .I really struggle to get 5 hours sleep. Before I could sleep like a log .I suppose compared to some I have to be thankful of that.

DrRainbow and Moodman like this.
  11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If it's not effecting everyone in the same age range that's contracted covid equally, then it's not about the virus, simply as that

Increased risk of sepsis after a severe viral or bacterial infection was a thing well before covid

12. Vladimir Illich

Stupid sod !!! - everyone's DNA is different and therefore there would be different effects to a viral infection !!!

DrRainbow likes this.
  13. wilsjane

I am starting to think that both you and I are just beating our heads against a brick wall.

I am certain that some of my detailed explanations have helped a few people, but the vast majority just soldier on with their misconceptions.

I would love to know what Vlad REALLY expects his good friend Boris to do.
    Perhaps he could have one fly swatter in his hand and another one up his ass, then run around in circles all day swatting covids. :yum::yum::yum:

Take a look at my reply to him #7 on this thread. No response whatsoever.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now he thinks that viruses take a look at your DNA before they attack, it is hard not to laugh.

14. wilsjane

It sounds to me as if your friend has got some scarring on the walls of his heart due to the virus, it is not uncommon in serious viral attacks and is by no means unique to covid. This would account for his tiredness as well as his leg problems that will be as a result of the drop in blood flow. Keeping on his feet as much as possible without pain will help to prevent any clots in the leg and foot capillaries.

I obviously don't know what medical help he has received, but if it has not already been investigated, he needs to look to his cardiology. An ECG showing an eptopic beat of more than 1 in 10 is a good pointer. If doubts exist, he will need an MRI cardiac scan to find any damage. Fortunately, although recovery can take up to a year, except in the most serious cases, it rarely involves cardio-thoracic surgery.

In order to prevent TIA type clotting, 80'mg of aspirin a day as an anticoagulant may help. However, I would advise discussing it with his doctor, since it is not advisable for patients at risk from aortic or stomach Aneurysm.
    The first signs of TIA type clotting is confusion, loss of short term memory and mentally drifting back to the past. However clotting confined to the limbs, may not show any of these neurological symptoms.

15. Vladimir Illich

Another stupid sod !!! - go back and reread EXACTLY what I have written !!!

And as for responding your previous contribution there was nothing in it that required a response from me !!!

16. wilsjane

You said that DNA affects your likelihood of contracting a virus.
    For more than 40 years, the worlds most eminent doctors have been looking into links between DNA and cancers as as yet they have been unable to find anything consistent.
    While DNA that affects your species SLIGHTLY affects how your likelihood of viral attack, it is still more to do with the immunity within the species.

The longer that we drag this out, natural immunity to covid will affect all of our lives for at least 7 years in the worst case. In the meantime. everyone contracting a disease, suffering an accident, requiring surgery, or giving birth is at greater risk.
    While the current death rate is up by 2.7%. more than 1,000 babies are born into the current environment every day in the UK, putting their mothers at risk for a few weeks.

Regarding Boris, what EXACTLY do you expect him to do. Chinese immunity test kits do not work, Social medea platforms were never intended to launch the space shuttle or run warning systems on a large scale. If you think that you can do better, launch Illich network tomorrow and see how well it works when the first server goes offline for maintenance or backup.
    Even if it were launched tomorrow, how many people would pay £800 a month for a bank like internet convention and secure servers.?

If you think that I am stupid, discuss this all with your doctor. Then when he does not whip out his magic wand, you can call him a stupid sod too.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You have to read between the lines, not take what they say on face value

Vaccines, Masks, Everyone hiding in their apartments.... they know that's just biding time

It's slower than I anticipated, but the world is starting to wake up. The WHO is finally waking up to just how many extra lives will be taken in the coming years from poverty, which is why they reversed their position on lockdowns

There aren't that many places in the world at the moment that are actually in lockdown, that was too much for most, so everyone moved on to pushing masks, and we were never going to get enough of the population to be vigilant with them for more than 6 months

A far shittier than usual flu season looks like will be the first big side effect of the lockdowns 10 months before

And the true nature of the economic melt down takes about 18 months to kick in

Ones like Dr Anthony Fauci, is he primarily the US's top "expert" on infectious diseases or is he primarily just another 79 yr old that panicked and over reacted? I guy like him knows full well that gloves and eye protection are just as important as masks. A guy like him knows full well, once you get to 10,000 cases, contact tracing that's 99% effective still isn't effective enough, a guy like him knows full well we will never see a vaccine that's all that helpful to 70+ yr olds. A guy like him should have known to step down immediately and let a 50 yr old be that face of covid expertise

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Or to put it another way, if in the winter of 2022, a year after the first commercial vaccine, New Zealand gets hammered by covid, 50,000 dead, what would be the point of any measures up until then?

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So the Sepsis thing wasnt a thing after all huh

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Knowing how many of my fellow human beings have an absolutely remorseless lack of empathy and compassion for anyone else; often, not even themselves.