University women centres

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by ihmurria, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could offer some tips and ideas to this little problem...

my friend is currently attending an ivy league school in the states, and it's the only ivy league univ that doesn't have a Women's Centre. She's been trying since she went there (along with a bunch of other people) to get one started, but the university president keeps saying no. I havent' heard all of the arguements and retorts, but the two biggest problems are

He says that having both a women's and a men's centre is unecessary

But says that only having a women's centre is discriminatory.

soo..... he's being stupid, basically. But I was wondering if maybe you had sources available for more info on this sort of thing, and any solutions I can offer her (I'm also going to be talking to the director of the Women's Centre at my univ and see if she has some info as well)

Thanks for your help!

2. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

What university is this? Usually a university has a "center" for a subject because it is a subject taught in that university. We have an Office of philosophy, "life sciences building", psychology building etc... at our university, I am not sure what you mean by not having a "women's center", don't they have any classes on feminism at her university? or any classes of women's studies or women's history... ? It is highly unlikely that they don't though, but if they do- why don't they have an office and if they do have an office... then whats the problem?

If they don't have an office (which is very unlikely) then you can tell your friend to go talk to the professors in the field of women's studies, it could be that the university has some money issues...

3. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I think if she really wants one she could start a petition.
    I also think that it is unnecessary

4. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

She goes to Harvard, so I highly doubt that they have money issues.

I'm pretty sure that they do have women's and gender study classes, most univ's do these days. At my univ, the Women's Centre (Canadian, we spell it funny) provides sexual assault conselling, a pretty extensive library, has a body image discussion group, advice for parents who are also students, counselling for abortion and adoption, as well has having free tampons, lube, condoms, and safety whistles. It's not an education program, it's a part of the University of Saskatchewan's Student Union.

http://www.ussu.ca/womens/ is the website for the women's centre at my univ, though it hasn't been updated in a while (or at least, not added on to)

5. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Harvard doesn't have a women's center? wow...
    Anyway, i am sure she can start a women's club that achieves all these goals, she should talk to a professor and I am sure there are USA's best there...

6. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

So, why does it not surprise me that she is at Harvard? Wouldn't have anything to do with that lovely comment about women not being biologically wired to do well in math, would it?

In my experience, universities will have a "center" for an issue because it is a matter of general concern and/or fighting against discrimination -- minority groups, women, LBGT, etc.

Sorry, pretty much all I can suggest is to contact directors of women's centers at various universities & ask for advice from them... Or, given the publicity surrounding the comments made by the president of Harvard, she could stage a large demonstration (something to get media attention), tack it on to his recent PR problems...