Universities in NC, TN, KY

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by ImmortalDissident, May 8, 2004.

1. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

I'm graduating this year but I'm not moving on and out until late next summer. I know for sure that I will be moving the the North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky area, but I'm not set on one destination. I will be going to school there (obviously since this is the higher ed. section), and I will either be studying chemical engineering or environmental engineering with a minor in technical communications. Most schools I've looked at are not liberal arts colleges but the majors they offer almost make them seem as though they are.

But to the point... does anyone go to or have good/bad information on universities in these states?

Peace - Happiness - Harmony

2. MoonlightSilver

MoonlightSilver Member

I was born in North Carolina and my Dad went to UNC. It's a really good school. I've heard it is very Greek life oriented and preppy, but you can find whatever types of people you want to find because it is so big. Also, my friend has a mountain house in Boone and we partied at Appalachian State a couple of times. It is very pretty there and everybody skiis alot and stuff. Every single time I went it was snowing. The parties there are very small. My grandparents live in Nashville which I think is the coolest city. There are alot of quite ecclectic shops and villages. Vanderbilt is in Nashville but is very expensive and hard to get in to. I've also heard that people there are sort of snobby, but you have to see for yourself. Good luck!

3. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Thanks for the good information. I'm flying out to Michigan in September, so I will probably head to NC at the same time and then head home. We'll see how it goes.

Peace - Happiness - Harmony

4. Velouria

Velouria Member

Check out Middle TN State University. I didn't think I would like it, but I visited and it seems like a pretty nice school. I'm going there in the fall.

5. dayrise

dayrise Member

I grew up in Knoxville TN. UTK is a really great school. A nice area, they party alot. It is a really big school, so I don't know what your into. MIddle TN State, in Murfreesboro, I don't know much about the school, but I LOVE the town. Alot of my friends moved there to make it in music. Some did, some didn't. MTSU has a great music program. TN Tech TTU-is in Cookeville, I didn't like the town much, not many people there like me, but I wasn't there very long. They do however have a great engineering program, one of the best in the area I hear. I am a Sophmore at a community college in TN. I plan on going to Berea College in KY. It is a free college for people who qualify. It is a great small artsy town with really friendly people. I know there not known for there chemical eng. majors, but they have a great environmental program. I am majoring in Sustainable Community Development. So if money is an issue, it is a great college to look into. TTU is a great eng. school. MTSU is a great town and a good school. UTK is a party town, really big, but a good reputation in the buisness world. Hope this helps a little. OH, I have heard great things about Chapel Hill, NC.

Tracy

6. LMoffet1

LMoffet1 Member

Hello, I go to UTK in Knoxville and I like it alot. Also, I've heard that the engineering school is one of the best in the country. I'd recommend it!

7. GrievousAngel

GrievousAngel Banned

Transy is a great private school for writing. UK is a great medical school for what i hear. I live in old Kain-Tuck and we have a good deal of fine schools.