United States Federal Government Shut-Down

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

So, that guy and all his coworkers should have quit and let the fires burn out of control?

2. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Yes, weed the garden. The time is here.

3. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Historically speaking the time is ripe for a coup. oby has set himself and unfortunately us as well for a big fall. one way or another we will be hoping for change. Hmmmm qn un armed African American woman killed while on a joy ride to oby. What can sharpton and jackson do ? tsk tsk.

4. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

5. antithesis

antithesis Hello

All I know is that me, my friends and my family are currently out of work, and it sucks.

6. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Day 4, still not caring that the government is shutdown.

I keep hearing "but what about all those people out of work?!?!? Have you no compasion?!?!?", like that is supposed to make me feel bad about what is going down. What about the millions of others who are already out of work? Where was your outrage and anger then? Where was this so called "horror"? What makes government employees so special? I don't agree at all with the likes of Cruz and his supporters (I am just as fed up with him and his ilk as I am with Obama and his fucking cronies like Reid, Pelosi, etc...), but I cannot fault them for using every weapon at their disposal to fight something they think is wrong.

7. Sig

Sig Senior Member

A coup? You really think so? Are you going to pick up a rifle and put your money where your mouth is?

8. Sig

Sig Senior Member

So says you, with you're own bias and interests. I guarantee you wouldn't be saying the same thing if it was the Dems pulling this.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We all have bias and interests.

What do you think this shutdown is accomplishing?
    I can't see can't benefit to the American people.

10. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

oby is obviously in for more than he can handle. Perhaps Mr, Putin could once again lend his mentally unbalanced global counterpart a helping hand.

11. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I think is drawing attention to some dangerous trends in how America does business (Obamacare, Debt Ceiling, etc....), and it shows that there are some politicians at least (who I don't agree with politically) that are willing to fight and fight hard for what they believe in.

I don't see a benefit to the American people when it comes to raising our debt ceiling, or when it comes to Obamacare. And yet here we are....

12. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I feel the same way about Obamacare.

13. odonII

odonII O

what's 'obamacare'?

14. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

a national disaster.....................of 911 proportion.

15. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Are you f'ing slow?

16. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Haven't we moved beyond this?

17. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Are there any political forums out there where real discussions actually happen without trolls constantly butting in like this? I feel like all of these threads end up ruined by the same 2 or 3 people.

I often disagree with Pressed Rat and Sig on certain topics, but at least I'm able to understand their posts and they will provide the reasoning behind their positions in an intelligent way.

18. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I have been a member of some pure political forums (was a mod on one as well) and I can say no, there are no political forums that I know of where trolls don't show up and butt in.

19. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Maybe it is worth starting a closed social group on this site, where only people willing to have constructive discussions will be invited. But that seems to defeat the purpose of a free speech site, I suppose.

20. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

Shut it down??- -There are waY to many issues on the table that we all dont really know about- -Its not about what effects the fat cats- or wealthy gov,t employees - Struggling folks, many regulars moms, veterans, low paid park rangers, health workers,& people in need of health services ,the elderly,,etc,,etc,, need these services from the offices that are now not operating
    The government shutdown may be keeping National Parks closed and furloughed federal workers at home, but worse real-world effects could soon be felt by low-income mothers and their infants — already a marginalized group with unstable food supplies.
    The government has stopped funding the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, known as WIC as of Tuesday, I think.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Over 9 million moms and kids under five living near or below the poverty line rely on the program’s supplemental vouchers for healthy food, breastfeeding support, infant formula and other necessities dispensed at clinics nationwide.

The USDA estimates that most states will be able to continue WIC operations as usual for “a week or so” before running out of money. The department’s Food and Nutrition Service has a contingency fund of only $125 million available for this $7 billion annual appropriation.

So far the situation is most dire in Arkansas and Utah, according to Rev. Douglas Greenaway, who heads up nonprofit advocacy group the National WIC Association. Utah’s WIC program, which already serves 65,000 moms and babies, has now stopped accepting new participants.( taken from latest Forbes mag)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------ - - - - -
    There are health consequences when mothers cannot provide food and nutrition.
    the government shutdown as adding insult to injury for an already vulnerable population.

America is not realizing how many low-income pregnant women and children we have in this country -They have no safety net. These women are trying to have a healthy pregnancy, and they’re asking, ‘how am I going to feed my family?’ :(

So, if the shutdown isnt affecting you personally- -think about your neighbor
    We are all in this together, choosing sides is fine for a political argument, but this needs to be fixed and fixed fast- -
    myopinion
    JaCk