United States Federal Government Shut-Down

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sig

Sig Senior Member

ABC is reporting that a female suspect has been killed.

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Female shooter! :eek: I didn't see that coming.

She wasn't very smart. She tried to ram a White House gate with her car. Well, you know no ordinary car is going to get through one of those. Then she apparently took off down Pennsylvania Avenue (did anybody get footage of the chase?) and took the easy left onto Constitution. Another brain-dead move. That's an extremely secure area. The shootout was between First and Second streets, only a block away from the headquarters of the Capitol Police! She must have been from out of town.

I've seen footage of a wounded police officer on a stretcher, but nothing else on the suspect.

3. Sig

Sig Senior Member

That is what ABC's twitter feed is reporting. Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere else.

4. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Now CNN is reporting that the female is wounded, and that there was a child in the car.

5. Sig

Sig Senior Member

6. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Considering the fact that women are almost never involved in violent crimes of this kind, I find it extremely ironic that the shootout took place right beside the Sewall-Belmont House (http://www.sewallbelmont.org/), an important historic site in the national women's rights movement. It's also very close to the site of a building where women's suffrage protesters were imprisoned for many months in the late 1800's, under inhumane conditions. There is nothing left of that building except the front steps and a historical marker along the sidewalk. I remember walking past it earlier this year.

Obviously, this isn't the kind of equality we need.

Even though there is no evidence that this woman was operating as a part of an organized group, I think it's still a timely reminder that the public's patience is not infinite.

7. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Yeah, we have no idea as to this woman's motive at all. It could be completely unrelated to the shutdown for all we know.

8. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Mental instability is likely to be a factor. She didn't have a plan that had any reasonable chance of accomplishing anything. I'm glad that the child is okay.

9. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Yeah, the fact that a child was in the car, to me, points to a sudden mental break.

10. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

The car license plates are from Connecticut. I wonder how long she had been on the road.

Now, NBC is reporting that no gun was found on her, or in her car.

Another point of irony: The police officers who did whatever it took to stop this car, not knowing if it was going to be a suicide car bomb attempt or whatever, don't know if they will ever get a paycheck for this week's work.

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

A very good friend works for NASA, 97% of the employees are furloughed the remaining 3% are working without pay.
    He was going to help set up the Nov. Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN launch, but it will probably be delayed till 2016 now.

12. MattyDigs

MattyDigs Member

Uh yea. Like I said, every single person I knew at the Canyon is getting hit in a big way (Same with Yellowstone but luckily most of the ppl I knew there weren't staying there for too long). Since it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere everyone there has been forced out of their homes with nowhere to go and if this continues for a long time they will have to give up and relocated entirely, probably back home (for the few that are lucky enough to have a home). Not to mention, the town Tusayan, by the canyon depends on the traffic. I know for a fact most of them are piss poor. If this goes on for long, they are really, really fucked. I don't want to think what people like that will do when desperate.

The ignorance and lack of compassion here is astounding. A simple google search would have shown the vast reaching consequences (not even including this one) of this action.

13. MeAgain

Skyline Drive is closed at the start of its busiest season. Estimated loss of 14 million dollars a day to local businesses.

14. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Both central Florida and the feds need to evaluate the cost effectiveness of NASA. Given current conditions exploring life on uranus possibly should be curtailed. To me , this is the purpose of the shutdown. Taxation/Revenue Sharing is doomed from the start. A FLAT TAX is imminent. We just can't afford obamunism.

15. MeAgain

NASA's budget for 2012 was 0.48% of the national budget.

The purpose of the shutdown is not to save money, it is to not allow Obama any victories.

It has nothing to do with logic or better government.

16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

The shutdown horror stories continue to accumulate, with no end in sight. A woman in New Mexico recently lost her husband. He was a firefighter, working for the federal government to fight recent wildfires out west. Because of the shutdown, the life insurance benefits she is entitled to receive have been delayed, and she only has enough money to get by for a few more weeks. The federal employees she needs to contact about this have been laid off.

For those who say everyone who receives government money is a deadbeat or a terrible person, tell me what this woman and her late husband did wrong.

17. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

assumed the government would stand by their promises?

18. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Thank-you Mr. Voyage. Live by the guvmint ; die by the guvmint. No Thanks. Don't deal with the devil.

19. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah, since I wrote my post I thought more about all the people it does effect (and heard more-learned more about what all it does effect...the clinical trials and stuff like that...), so, yeah, it does suck for a good bit of people.

20. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Congress may be retarded but they get a 72% subsidy for their oby care. Can you and I get that? That's what I thought. Shut the bastards down!!!!!!