United States Federal Government Shut-Down

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sig

Sig Senior Member

The quote cannot be found because Jefferson never said that.

2. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Nice deflection. If you actually read that history book before "the cons" supposedly changed it you would know there is zero evidence that it was ever uttered by her. If you're going to use history to make a point you need to make sure you get that history right. If you don't, your point fails.

3. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

This is probably the quote he was thinking of.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Found on brainy quote

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'd love to see a mature discussion on HF, without a bunch of name calling.
    One that talks about issues and actions.

Sure we get frustrated by governmental procedure, stalling, and all sorts of things, but I have faith that somehow we can discuss the shutdown, or anything else using people's real names, referencing fact, and generally not sounding like a grade school playground.

Who is with me?

5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Summerhill tried this with a thread specifically for it. By the second or third post there was name calling.

6. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Once again, RIPTIDE, Jefferson never said that. Neg repping me won't change that.

7. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

day 3 of the apocalyptic government shutdown and my life hasn't changed one bit. has anyone had any significant problems yet?

8. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

No. I was surprised I was able to buy stamps yesterday.

9. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

10. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Shutdown? What shutdown? Nothing has or will change. 93% of the EPA has been deemed non-essential. LOL.

11. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

Not yet, but >>> if the shutdown lasts for more than two or three weeks, the Department of Veterans Affairs has said that it may not have enough money to pay disability claims and pension payments. That could affect some 3.6 million veterans.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - -- - - - -
    From a selfish vantage point >this probably would effect me - -and a whole lot of others- - Hope it doesnt come to this. Besides what I can do for a few bucks every week, , I count on that friggin disability ck.

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I can't recall the usual length of time a shutdown goes, but assume one check will skip, and adjust accordingly.

Don't forget that STATE assistance offices and STATE and LOCAL parks are all ok.

And really, one could walk in the woods at a national park. It's the rangers and shop/interpretive center folks who are sidelined.

I can just imaging what Ed Abbey would write about this...

13. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

lets see here... one of the first groups to get fucked are the vets.

ya, that's about right.

:(

14. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

15. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Not easy to do. Gates are locked, parking lots are blocked off, and signs have been posted at trail entrances. Local law enforcement is authorized to arrest anyone caught trespassing on federal property. It's impossible to perfectly seal off something as big as the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but you would have to hike in by trespassing on private land to get to the park boundary well away from any public gate.

It would be a lot easier to debate this if it was an ordinary budget problem. Past shutdowns have been over the size of the federal budget, and what was in it. This time, it's all about whether or not to link it to a medical insurance bill that was passed three years ago, and is not a part of the regular federal budget.

And now, shots have been fired at one of the Senate office buildings, showing that people are tired of endless talking. The entire Capitol Hill area is on lockdown.

16. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Just read about that. Apparently the shooter is in custody. No idea or word on a motive yet.

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

NBC is saying the shooter tried to get in the White House first. Then there was a car chase. There are injuries to police officers.

18. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Their website or on TV?

19. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

MSNBC, Pete Williams.

20. Sig

Sig Senior Member

CNN.com is reporting one person injured.