United States Federal Government Shut-Down

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Sep 30, 2013.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

in Canada we call it "prorogued"

i think we might even be in prorogue right now...i dont really pay much attention to those idiots

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

In the red, bbad?

4. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Allegedly the shut down will cost at least $2 billion.

This is stupid. I think all of this may blow up in the tea party's face.

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

6. MattyDigs

MattyDigs Member

I worked and lived in both Yellowstone and Grand Canyon for extended periods of time (almost a year at the Canyon). I have a lot of good friends that are gonna get fucked. It's sad because quite a few of these people have nowhere else to go. No family, nothing. It's their life.

7. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

No she didn't.

8. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

I LOVE THE SHUTDOWN!!!!!!!! What part of non-essential don't they get?

9. newbie-one

^ what part of multi-billion dollar economic loses don't you get?

Hooray, the NIH is shut down! Think of all that wasteful, so-called "medical research" that won't get done now! Hooray, think of all the environmental protections that we won't get!

Boy, if only knew that hyper-partisanship and subverting the democratic process were going to be this much fun, we would have started sooner!

10. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Subverting the democratic process? What we are seeing is that process in action.

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Last time the repubs shut it down--they rightfully got the blame and Goot Ningrich lost his job. Let's face it---this government and the rip-off capitalist bullshit is NOT WORKING. After 200 years--it's not working.

12. newbie-one

I see these as bullshit procedural manoeuvres that are technically legal but were never intended to be part of how congress works.

13. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Agreed. After almost 240 years the system is starting to fall apart. Change is needed. What change? Well, that is going to be a tough and, probably, painful thing to figure out.

14. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Oh really? Consider Paul and Cruz to be modern day Reveres , asking us , the constituency , to step back , think and consider , the threat of despotic rule. Mandatory government edicts , a government turning on it's citizens , foreign invaders being forced upon the citizenry. Yes , time to step back. Is this stil your country? King George is alive and well.

15. Sig

Sig Senior Member

So when will you be picking up a rifle?

16. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

It will get back going again soon. Yeah people are gonna miss some work days and miss pay periods. Yeah some things will go on pause. However this is part of the economic cycle. Shit happens

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

This shutdown could be a long one. The Tea Party seems content to wait as long as it takes for Obama to totally cave in and give them 100% of what they want. He's never going to do that. There's no way in hell he will let the history books say that the first black US president was the first one to become a spineless puppet of the opposition party. Can you imagine what all the hardcore racists would do with that?

A small minority of voters has sent representatives to the House who have no idea what it takes to run a country, and all of us are going to suffer the consequences.

This is just the warm-up act for the deficit ceiling debate. :( The end result could be a world-wide economic depression.

18. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Jefferson reminds us: "From time to time , the garden of government needs to be weeded" That time arrived last November.

If this brief check and balance on a tyrannical ruler riles you , just wait until QE has ended ; the financial devastation from the oby years will be stunning.

LOL. Sadly, oby has proven the racists to be correct. From the VLAD PUTIN experience to constant strife and scandal ; barry has proved to be either learning disabled or one evil bastard. Don't know which yet. One thing sadly evident ; the Constitution has been raped by the nation's first mixed race president.

19. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Funny how one side always thinks that about the other side in any debate when it comes to politics and leadership. "The Tea Party doesn't know what they are doing" "The Dems have no idea what they are doing" "The Cons have no idea what they are doing" and on and on and on, ad nauseum.

Note, I am not nor have I have I ever been a fan of the Tea Party. I just think rhetoric like this, from any side, is tired and pointless.

That debate is going to be the real kicker, I agree. Still, a melt down is coming no matter what we do. We've been putting band aids on a sucking chest wound for too long.

20. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Where did Jefferson say that?