United States Federal Government Shut-Down

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

A bunch of nonsense, really.

But I am just fine with the government shutting down. I only wish it were permanent.

3. Aerianne

Here are a few examples of what is now shut down:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-about-how-the-government-shutdown-will-work/

4. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I was hoping to start my new job at a National Park... so obviously this whole thing worries me since anything to do with nature or the environment is always deemed 'non-essential'

5. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Also, I will always love the federal government because National Parks, Forests and Wilderness Areas are something that this country can actually be proud of and they are part of the federal government.

6. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I sure am glad those fucks in Congress are still getting paid during this shutdown. Really, I think I'll be able to sleep a lot better at night knowing they are taken care of. :rolleyes:

On the non-sarcasm front: Good, I am glad it shut down.

7. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah, doesn't bother me it shut down but no, congress should not be paid.

8. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I belong to a few van-dweller sites. Everyone there is really upset about the National Park shutdown. It's kinda where a good deal of these folk live.

9. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

It effects tourism, and the fall season is huge in Yellowstone Nat park for instance.There will be less tourist money for the surrounding community's. A waitress at a local cafe will get less customers, hence less tips. The local garage will see less repair and tire sales. Convenience stores and gas stations will sell less fuel and snacks, etc plus many other peripheral businesses.
    So you see it doesn't just effect government employees, this shut-down indirectly hits regular working folk right in the pocketbook. :(

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

11. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I keep picturing Ron Swanson dancing a jig

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Looks like my camping trip this weekend is cancelled.

Thanks, Obama.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

it sucks for the people it actually affects. I know a park ranger that is worried about how he'll make his house payment and feed his kids. He makes like $25,000 a year so he lives pay check to pay check as it is.

I was just worried about not getting a good camping trip in before winter but once I talked to that guy I realized how bad it sucks for some people.

congress is retarded.

14. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Just in the month of October of each year, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park averages over a million visitors! If the shutdown lasts, there will be serious impact on restaurants and hotels in western NC and eastern TN.

All this, over a law that was passed three years ago. :mad: The Tea Party crowd is acting like a child that wants to throw a ball into the lake because he isn't winning the game.

15. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

Fuck em all

16. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

This is bad*
    ---------------------

17. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

The government seems to be getting more and more ineffective. I have a feeling this is the first domino in something much bigger. Next up, raising the debt ceiling on October 17th. It's interesting that this is all happening leading up to the 100th birthday of the Federal Reserve on Dec. 23th.

18. Aerianne

If you want to get into somewhere, take a veteran with you ;)

[​IMG]

http://www.stripes.com/news/wwii-veterans-storm-d-c-memorial-closed-by-government-shutdown-1.244447

19. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Cruz, others promise to donate pay during shutdown

Pretending to have a conscience, some cons are giving their pay to charity while the shutdown goes on. But that doesn't do shit for the millions that are losing their pay. Not only the government workers, but all the services that government workers spend money on, like lunches, taxi's, public transportation, and other support businesses, all lose too. I have a friend that fixes computers for government offices that is losing his pay.

Mari Antoinette said "Let them eat cake." and she got the guillotine. The GOP is saying it on a much larger scale.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-others-promise-to-donate-pay-during-shutdown

20. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin