UNICEF confirms trafficing of tsunami orphans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kitty fabulous, Jan 7, 2005.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

2. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

It doesn't matter where you are in the world, there is always someone ready to take advantage of a bad situation. It is a shame. These victims have suffered and are going to suffer enough as it is, and I can't imagine the kind of person who would rather harm then help in this situation. It amazes me that humans can act so vile. It is depressing.

3. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

especially children. what kind of a sick fuck harms orphaned children who have been through such a tragedy? the best we can hope for is that the children will be offered for black market adoptions, and will find their way into a home with love in it. but more likely they are doomed to a life of sweatshop slave-labor, or worse, child prostitution.

the most appalling thing is that the average citizen turns their back in denial on such tragic injustices. we don't want to face that we support such practices through our own denial and cmfortable lifestyles. that cheap shirt purchased at wal-mart, made in indonesia...is there a mother on some tsunami-ravaged beach grieving the loss of a child she was unable to protect, whose tiny hands are now being forced to make such shirts in a sweatshop? or worse, is that child being used to sate illicit lusts for the profit of their vile captors? has there not been enough natural suffering? what is being done to stop these practices?

anti-sweatshop resource:
    http://www.sweatshops.org

i wish i had a resource against child trafficking and prostitution; if anyone has a helpful link, please post it.

as a mother, these appalling horrors are beyond my worst nightmares. but for many children, those nightmares are their daily reality.

4. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Obviously, kidnapping is a bad thing, but I'm not sure that I would accept everything that UNICEF has to say on the topic at face value. They have a long record of opposing even LEGAL, REGULATED international child adoptions during times without major disasters or upheaval. They have applied the term "child trafficking" to international adoptions in the past, much to the dismay of adoptive families and international social work groups.

They seem to have some kind of agenda that goes beyond helping the world's children in times of need.

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Ditto.

Not that I don't believe this is going on, I know it is. I agree with you regarding UNICEF, though (for other reasons as well, aside from what you stated).