Unfair pay gap

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Maggie Sugar, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megara

Megara Banned

does a pay gap automatically equal discrimination? I dont think so..that is, however, the conclusion everyone seems to make from the pay gap. If there is any proof that an employer is discriminating against women, he should be brought to court since he is in violation of the equal pay act.

2. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Where the "pay gap" comes from is the fact that most women take "groovy" jobs that don't pay well and/or take sabbaticals from work for "me time" or babies or what have you, whereas men take engineering, mining, etc. dangerous and boring work for which the wage must be higher, to attract candidates.

It isn't as though there are two people in the same job but the woman is paid 75c to the man's 1.00 - it's that the woman is having a happy carefree existence working as a cashier in some groovy boutique while the guy's on an oil rig risking death by hydrogen sulfide inhalation.

3. Lizardman0

Lizardman0 Member

\

Yea, but it used to be commin, men and wemon working the same job doign the same thing got paid differently (because of sexist employeers, or they just didn't value there wemon employees and much). It was because wemon weren't really in the workforce. I am sure it still happens, but not much.

I think it'd be pretty ignorant to bring this whole thing up withotu this.

4. not if it's a 24 hour clock

or digital......

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

The "selection" of OLD dredged up threads, some of which are more than a year old, seem to be done in an attempt to attack womyn in general. I'm closing threads which went by the wayside more than a year ago, or those in which the need to ATTACK members of the opposite sex is the ONLY FACTOR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.