Unfair pay gap

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Maggie Sugar, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Pay gaps in the genders are unfair

PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP

That had to be said.......

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Hehehe :D
    Very petty but what the hell.

TTFN

Sage

3. Maggie Sugar

I wasn't being petty, Sage. Just a little silly.

You Know Who With his frowny, somehow thinking he is being forceful face on "I NEVER WANT TO SEE THE MYTH OF PAY GAP ON THIS BOARD AGAIN!"

PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP
    PAY GAP

I don't like being dictated to. LOL!

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Yeah that's what I meant :)

I'm not up for being dictated to eithier, get enough of that from my parents.

TTFN

Sage

5. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I posted this on another thread, but even black MEN are being paid less then white men for the same job.

6. dharmagrrl

dharmagrrl Member

Yes but ALL women are being paid less than ALL men. Just because another group of people are also being cheated doesn't make the inititial arguement any less valid. As a black woman, I can expect to be paid less than anyone but I'm not going to say that white women shouldn't complain. I dont know if that's what you meant by your comment but that how it came across.

7. superNova

superNova Member

i don't think that's what he meant. i think he just meant that white men are generally paid more than anyone else.

i could be wrong though :)

8. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

RE: Yes but ALL women are being paid less than ALL men.

This is an abject lie.

The "pay gap" guy is an asshole, but he happens to be right.

You're way more likely to be an executive at a top company now if you're female.

9. Maggie Sugar

The original thread was started as a joke a year ago (before I was a Mod) as a reply to a stalker/troller/misogynist poster (now permanently banned) who said in a thread "I never want to read the words "Gender Pay Gap" again, I mean it." So I said it again and again. I was being silly. :)

10. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

I see. But you must understand, though he was a troll, he was in fact right.

It's not like they pay a man 125% more the same job, which is what is implied.

The reality is quite different, and does show a considerable disparity, but not the one implied. What it really means is the men tend to take the more stressful, more dangerous, higher paid but higher costing jobs - e.g. more school, subjects like math, drudgery, corporate labor, whereas the women TEND to careers which "fulfill them" or they drop out to have kids.

I could just as easily make as much as women if I'd taken English Lit in university and decided I was truly happy working in a bookstore. But that doesn't pay the rent in most cities.

11. mynameisjake07

mynameisjake07 Banned

it did not have to be said

12. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

I'm sorry, I forgot I was in the presence of 16 year olds. I forgot they know everything.

13. Maggie Sugar

Really? Do you know the guy?

Someone like the aformentioned dude, I doubt you would want to say "He was right." He was banned for various nefarious, nasty, stalking, hatemongering shite.

14. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Listen, even a broken clock is right twice a day - and 2+2 is still 4 even though Hitler asserted it.

It is CORRECT that there is no "pay gap". The hatemongering I don't agree with. Three or four posts up someone said all women were paid less than all men. That's an outright lie right there, but it's understandable because this keeps being said over and over even though it's wrong.

15. mynameisjake07

mynameisjake07 Banned

yes im the smartest person to walk this world, I know everything made to man. No but seriouslly this comment didnt need to be said.

16. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

I thank you Jake for that value judgment, that commentary on what I should or shouldn't say, etc.

I really need the appropriateness of what I'm saying to be decided by someone who can't even yet vote.

17. mynameisjake07

mynameisjake07 Banned

ya if you cant vote you mean nothing

18. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Actually Irongoth, that claim IS correct, but stated in an incomplete manner.

Women routinely earn 70-80% of what their male counterparts would be (and are) paid at comparable levels of employment. Of course without that caveat you have your strawman argument that the female VP will earn more than the male accounting clerk or janitor. That, however, is a spurious comparison.

19. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

double post

20. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

RE:
    Women routinely earn 70-80% of what their male counterparts would be (and are) paid at comparable levels of employment.

No LickHERish, that is CATEGORICALLY untrue, well for the USA anyway, don't know about enlightened Europe.

It keeps getting repeated even though it is completely untrue.

Listen - if you could just hire people for less money, you'd do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.