Unconventional work-places: You don't have to be mad to work, but...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by odonII, Jun 13, 2013.

1. odonII

odonII O

2. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

No. Definitely not.

Anything directly related to sales or marketing just isn't for me.

3. odonII

odonII O

Why not? :party::biggrinjester:

4. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

I would.. my work is kind of like that. We do a good job but just have fun and mess around otherwise it would be so boring and everyone would be moody most of the time.

5. odonII

odonII O

Well, watching the programme it does feel like you have to constantly be the life and soul of the party most of the time.

I'm not sure if the chap always goes around the office and acts like that, but if he did I think it would get a little too much for me after a while.

I'm all for having fun at work, but, good grief - not THAT much 'fun'. :ack2:

I read the comments under the first video, and it seems like it wasn't such a great time, all of the time, as it appears.
    But I was really talking about 'mad' workplaces - where everybody is having 'fun' all day long. Not this work-place in particular.

6. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Because there are people who do this kind of things really well and are happy doing them.

I would be fed up with it in a week.

You don't really believe they are having a party all the time, do you? ;)

7. odonII

odonII O

To be fair, I wasn't really talking about a call-centre. But I'm the same if that is what you are talking about. I tried to explain a little more in my previous post.

8. odonII

odonII O

:rolleyes: No. Honest.

9. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

:D I think I would be fed up with this environment too: :party:

How long do you think you could work there?

10. odonII

odonII O

Approx' : dinnertime :frown:

No, seriously, maybe a week or so (although, I'd probably be payed monthly - so would have to stick it out till the end of the month).

11. Leila_xo

Leila_xo Member

OMGGGG IS THAT WHAT REALLY HAPPENS THERE?

i thought they were all so professional and business types.

gosh im starting business soon, :(

12. odonII

odonII O

Well, there wasn't a disclaimer at the end stating: 'some scenes were created for entertainment purposes'. So, yes, I imagine it is just like that. Obviously the cameras pick up the more livelier moments, though. But still, It does seem like you don't get much time off from singing etc. If you mean working environments in general, then no, most are a little more mundane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrmof9m3pQ"]The Call Centre, Episode 1, Happy People Sell (4th June 2013) BBC THREE - YouTube

13. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

No I wouldn't. I think if I did, I'd go on a killing spree.

That guy's companies plague people with constant trashy sales calls.
    One of his companies, whilst not currently illegal, is nothing but a scam. I suspect many of them target the gullible, elderly/ stupid.

Call centres symbolise the worst of modern Britain. And he strikes me as a complete bellend. Altho I've never watched the programme.

14. odonII

odonII O

IamnotaMan

I don't know which one of his companies is a scam.
    But from looking at the company in the 'documentary' - It's about saving people money:
    http://www.savebritainmoney.co.uk/ .
    I'm sure with regards to his other companies there is an element of selling involved.
    I presume most of the revenue comes from the PPI claims, Mis-sold mortgages and 'Debt-management' arms of the business.
    But he has said it (his revenue) is from the governments 'Green Deal scheme' - but surely that can not account for the entire turn-over.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/bbcs-call-centre-star-slams-4036000

The business is 'cold-calling' - so I imagine it is a bit of a plague to some when they call - regardless of the nature of the call.
    They are not selling children into prostitution, so I struggle to get too worked up about his type of company (although, I appreciate there are some vultures out there).
    I compare his business to 'Wonga' rather than some of the more aggresive PDL companies out there.
    One of the better ones!
    I did look for some negative stories about the company - the only thing I read was about him being a bit of a bastard for sacking loads of staff in a short space of time.
    But, I do not know if that is true or not.

From watching the programme he doesn't seem too bad as a person - but I certainly wouldn't like him as my boss.
    I think he looks the type that smiles all of the time, but also is also looking out for No. 1 - HIMSELF.

As I said, I couldn't have THAT much 'fun' while working - it would send me a little mad.
    Although, he does have some more reserved members of the business, and he doesn't actually sack people for not singing.
    I wasn't trying to get too deep here, to be honest.
    I just thought it would be a bit of fun.

During some of the more calmer moments, there was a story in the 'documentary' about a girl who had some personal problems, and took lots of time off.
    Instead of sacking her he put her in a less demanding position for a while.
    There were other moments when he was genuinely helpful to his staff.

On the flip side, I imagine there is a high turn-over of staff there - and he has to kinda not be the best friend of every single person.
    Obviously some people go there thinking that, given his reputation, won't sack them EVER - but what also came over is that he certainly would.
    So far it's been all smiles...and dancing - it's yet to be anything else, but it's sure to come.
    The company shown in the 'documentary' ranked 2nd In The Sunday Times Best Companies To Work For 2013 - so he must be doing something right.

If you have 57m and 10s to spare you might find it amusing to watch.
    Although, you might not :D

15. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

I think some of the potential scam part is staff cold calling and pretending to be doing surveys. And pretending to be impartial advisors of xyz.
    There ARE impartial advisors for utilities/finance etc. But you can bet this bellend is just selling whatever shit gives him the best margins.

The debt management company is nothing but a scam really. The bank windfall taxes set up free debt management charities, so I think his one should be shut down.

He might look semi legit these days, but I bet to get there he's been on the sharper side of scamming. As have many so-called legit businessmen - including vat fraudster Branson, the Phones4U guy and many more.

I think he's using the show as pr. Apparently C5 turned it down. Maybe BBC turn a blind eye to stuff, just to advertise a shithole as a potential place to set up a subservient callcentre workforce. And I think they're letting him use the show for his dodgy pr.

That Sunday Times list sounds ridiculous.

Also, I've always found them a bit shifty in that part of Britain. Fucking sheep is a bit weird, IMO. And if they're not doing that, they're probably shooting smack, playing rugby, or doing some really shit singing.

PS I've no idea why companies like Wonga are allowed to trade. A couple of decades ago, you'd be locked up for that..(literally).And still would in Europe.

16. odonII

odonII O

IamnotaMan

I did hear some of the workers use leading questions/open ended questions when talking to some of the callers.
    I have no idea if they were pretending to conduct surveys.

As far as the tax affairs or V.A.T liabilities of the company are concerned, and the way they operate as a company - I have very little idea.
    I have looked on companies house, and had a little look around the internet -If they are not legit or not.
    I found out about their expansion/rapid growth and job creation.
    I also found out about the way they advertise within their group - such as advising you on a 'switching service' if you look at their SBM website/get a call from them - that just happens to be part of the same group, also linked to a 'partner' - such as USwitch.
    What they obviously get is a expanding 'client' list - via having to register with one or more of these services.
    Now, this does not mean any of these services are trying to scam you.
    ('Partner':http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USwitch)
    I do think USwitch is impartial.
    USwitch also do provide information on charities etc: http://www.uswitch.com/debt-help/debt-advice-companies/
    All these activities obviously do increase the amount of business SBM can can scoop up.
    Evil capitalism?
    I guess it really boils down to who has the biggest voice.
    You might be right about it (the show) being part of a PR 'campaign' - it certainly will not hurt their business.
    It's five hours of free advertising, I guess.
    I would question if the BBC should be involved in that type of thing.

I can attest for the shit singing. No comment about anything else. ;)

I wouldn't really like to get into the rights and wrongs of PDL's.
    I have used Wonga before, and have realised what I have been getting into.
    I can only really comment how they have treated me as a customer - which was very well.
    The only thing I know about how loans were was watching that Amigo loan advert.
    It suggests it is taking us back to the 'good old days' - which they suggest is asking an amigo to vouch for you - and no credit checks.
    'vouch' means the amigo owning their own home, and being legally responsible for the loan if it is defaulted.
    'no credit checks' means a credit check has already taken place on your amigo.
    Was that really the 'good old days'?
    http://www.amigoloans.co.uk/
    It is cheaper in the long run but you have to borrow more in the first place.
    Wonga let you borrow as much (well up to certain limits) or as little as you like - the downside being you have to pay them back fairly quickly.

17. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

18. odonII

odonII O

Mike Suicide

What about singing and dancing at work - with your BOSS? o_O

19. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I've worked at an inbound call center, not sales related. It was fucking horrible.

20. odonII

odonII O

Me too. THREE years.
    It payed the bills, though.
    Plus, I was working with a couple of friends, which made life their easier.
    You'd struggle to get a call center job here now with out some form of sales attached to it, or more likely chained on to it.