unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by rainbow, Jun 29, 2006.

1. rainbow

rainbow Member

i wasnt sure were to put this so here it is~

my husband does blue collar work, with machinary, and today while following PROCEDURE, his hand got smushed between a blade and the wall of the machine. thank god he's fine~after 3 stiches to his thumb, a tetnis shot and xrays. the doctor said that he could see the bone in his thumb~OWWW!

so heres the best part~
    THEY EXPECT HIM TO COME TO WORK TOMMORROW!!!!!

his shift leader said 'dont worry, you'll just do what you can" (hes pretty alright) BUT WHAT NERVE!! his boss should have told him to stay home tommorrow. his hand is so swollen and really hurts. I changed the dressing, and put some neosporin. he's taking advil for pain...MY POOR BABY!

2. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

umm... thats what workers comp is for. Have him file a report... he should get leave and compensation for time lost for a work related injury.

3. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

^^^ what she said.
    hope your man feels better soon :) Mine is doing stuff like that all the time....got hit by 3 cars, slipped on a fish on the floor and had a 15 lb box fall on his arm, fell off a roof while installing a satalite, has electricuted (sp?) himself more that 2 dozen times, and the funniest of all, he hit himself in the dingleberries with a hammer last year while building trusses (and I went into labour a couple days later, lol).....I'm sure there's more....I just can't remember them all right now.

4. rainbow

rainbow Member

i just hung up with him, and strongly advised him to call HR whenthey open. you see the doctor, unaware of what he does at work, oked him to work! i'm wondering if his company uses this clinic they took him to... it just doesnt sound right to me.

5. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

If he's union, he should file a greivance. that's so wrong! Either way, he should most definitely file workman's comp, even though I'm sure the company will urge him not to do it.

hope he feels better soon!

6. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

Not at the same time I hope. It's just a guy thing, we like hurting ourselves. Just kidding, we just seem to be good at it. I am always hurting myself. speaking of getting hit by cars, I ran myself over once. I had a 1976 chevy nova four door, it was a pile of junk, and I went to the local library. The library was up on a hill, and the parking lot was full, so I parked on the hill along the drive. I got out and started walking away. I noticed that the ground I was covering was not the ground that had been covered between my car and I. As i stopped and turned to look at my car, I noticed the amount of ground covered was increasing. I knew that I didn't have the ability to warp myself places, and figured that my car was trying to have an escape. I ran down the hill, afetr my car, slipped on some ice and wound up before the car, not that it slowed the car down much, I was just a bump in the road, literally. Luckily I was not injured, I picked myself up, cought up to the car again, manged to get in and get it stopped. Decided to park someplace else, and limped on in to the library.

7. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

lol, what a story! At first I was like, "how the heck did he hit himself with his own car?"
    No, he didn't get hit by all 3 at the same time. The first one, I wasn't sure what happened, but the second one he was crossing the highway on his way (get this!) to the HOSPITAL to visit his mom who had surgery. LOL
    The second time was about 1 1/2 years ago, was walking to work and was at a crosswalk and the guy didnt slow down fast enough, slip across the ice, and smack....think cody did more damage to his car than the car did to him.
    Cody never charged any of them, but in a way I kidna wish he would have with all our money problems, and he LOST HIS JOB due to it, AND had to pay back all the medical coverage they provided while he worked there because he wasn't there for a year.....how ironic, heh?

8. mark echo

mark echo Member

hi, i'm the guy w/ the finger. i'm only going to have the stitches for 7 - 10 days, and half of that is a long weekend. to qualify for workman's comp u have to be out of work 3 full days, not to mention you have to have the cooperation of the doctor, i have a feeling there is some underhanded sh-t going on between the doctor and my company. they won't perscribe me any pain meds and i had to call them and beg to be put on resticted duty! somethings rotten in denmark!

ps- i filed for workman's comp in '93, and didnt actually get any money until 3 months later, when i was already back to work. they sent me a partial payout!

9. mark echo

mark echo Member

oh, yeah, i got hit by this old man once when i was 17. he just clipped me and i rolled onto his hood, unharmed. i was laughing and turned to look at him and he had this mortified look on his face. i was afraid the geezer was going to have a heart attack. i was like," i'm okay! it's okay, man!" and his wife just started yelling at him and wailing on him. in the end, i was more worried about the old dude!

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When I worked for standard oil,early 60s,an old guy named Mike fucked his hand up pretty bad--and the bastards made him ride around in the truck for weeks--not do any work--just show up.They wanted their safty record intact.And company doctors are SUPPOSED to keep you from drawing comp or anything else that costs the company PR,or money.By the way mark,maybe you should change your name to Tim!

11. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Ugghhh, sorry to hear all that! I hope you feel better soon mark echo!

12. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Send him in, and have him "accidentally" hurt himself even worse because of it. Nothing life-changing, but something that hurts like a bitch and you can take lots of scary photographs of.

Then file the obvious lawsuit, add in the 'pain and suffering' part, the 'lost wages' part, the 'unable to care for/provide for his family' part, etc...
    And you're set for life.

13. mark echo

mark echo Member

scratcho why tim?

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The tool man!Sorry--I couldn't resist.

15. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is a classic example of what happens to good people when other good people mistakenly believe that "Democrats and Republicans are all the same." The laws that once protected workers were forged entirely by the Democratic Party. For all its faults, the Dems at least tend to support organized labor, and the rights of working people in general (or rather, at least those in their congressional districts).

16. mark echo

mark echo Member

true, but nj is a very dem controlled state. but the unions got such a bad rep in the 80's and early 90's, that most companies opted out of the unions. now, your hard pressed to even find a union gig. the funny thing is, when i took this job, i had to decide between it and another job i had on the table that was union. they paid less and offered a worse shift. plus, the company i work for does all natural minerals and organic pigments,no drug testing, sold themselves as a family company, so you know the hippie in me...... well, it all seemed good at the time.

17. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

my DH used to work for a family company, well, a couple of them, and kept getting screwed over by them. We are much better off now that he's union. The insurance policy isn't as good, but it's free (we were previously paying $60/week just to have me on his insurance, before kids), and he actually gets benefits, when before he didn't even get one week vacation until after he'd been there five years!!

best of luck to you, dude!

18. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

how is that legal? I mean, besides all the union-blah-blah-blah... aren't there still employment laws in the US? Legal standards to which employers are held? Union or no, I've never heard to this happening around my area... you get hurt on the job, you go on workers comp, end of story!

I worked in a restuarant, with no union of any kind, and if people got hurt, I took them to the doctor, and then we sat down together and wrote out the W.Comp. report and an "incident report" that went to head office. There was never any run around like you all are describing!

19. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well, it could be that the report was given a bit too glowingly. like it wasn't portrayed as bad as it actually was. they may be working from an optimistic viewpoint. not everyone is avaricious or insensitive. perhaps once they see the degree of swelling, pain and perhaps pain meds they'll be in a more rational understanding of the circumstances.

20. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

most employment laws in the US only apply to companies with at least 50 employees, and only to employees who have been on the job for at least a year. Everyone else gets the shaft. Another doctor might be the best route to take, though. Just say it's for a second opinion and get everything documented in case you need to cover your @$$