umphreys mcgee

Discussion in 'Grateful Dead and Phish' started by kramsy, May 30, 2007.

1. nathan1985

nathan1985 Member

Im seeing these guys on thursday. If any of you have any concert experiences to tell me, id love to hear them. I really looking forward to the show. My counsellor toll me about these guys, i cant wait.

2. MellowMike

MellowMike Member

Personally, I think Umph is one of the sickest bands playin' right now. I'm not sure, but it seems like there isn't a lot of UM fans on this forum.

Anyway, for anyone who is a fan of Umphrey's, they've been putting a TON of music up on their website for free download. Here's a link to their podcast archive. It has about 120 hours of free jams[​IMG]

http://www.umphreys.com/music/podcast.archive.php?linkId=111

Well worth checking out[​IMG]

Oh yeah, and a there's a coulple new STS9 podcasts up too.

http://sts9.libsyn.com/

Very niiiiiice.

3. solla._.sollew

solla._.sollew Member

i just can't get into these guys. my friends love them. they keep giving me discs and i listened and i recognize that they are talented, but they are just not my groove. they don't feed my soul. it seems empty. just how i feel when i hear it.

4. nearly.normal.jimmy

nearly.normal.jimmy We've got it simple.

Yea pretty much same here.
    Super talented musicians, probably a bunch of nice guys, probably a nice scene, but just doesn't 'Do It' for me. One maybe two songs I tap along too, but then lose interest.

5. Jezmund

Jezmund Member

these guys's jams are pretty fuckin' tight.

could do without alot of their hard rock stuff though.

Can't fucking wait until Bonnaroo. Last time they were here they were on fire!

6. TributetoME

TributetoME Member

Best band ever. Seeing them April 8th for my 8th show. You don't really "get" them until you've seen them live. It's so epic.

7. harpua9000

harpua9000 Member

Great band...I can see why a lot of people don't like them, though. Jake has a tendency to...umm..."Steve Vai" it a bit too much. I'd like to hear him take a more melodic approach to his soloing, but I guess that's what Brendan's there for. great band anyway.

8. solla._.sollew

solla._.sollew Member

i've seen them live 6 or 7 times from California to Kansas...i just don't dig...too much math, not enough soul. (if your a musician, you will understand this. And when i say musician, i mean some one who can read and write music, beat map, call out time signatures and key changes...not weekend warrior guitar players....)

9. hippie-McHipperson

hippie-McHipperson Member

Can you please elaborate with what you mean by this. Are you trying to say true musicians will not like Umphreys?

10. solla._.sollew

solla._.sollew Member

no, i am sure plenty of musicians enjoy the odd things they do. what i am saying, is that musicians will understand my "math not soul" comment......i just think they are to sterile...

11. TributetoME

TributetoME Member

I think Umphrey's has a lot of soul. I don't understand why people say that about them. I think they are one of the most soulful bands that are out there right now. I would also think that Umphrey's would be definite music for musicians specifically.

12. solla._.sollew

solla._.sollew Member

you'd think so....but writing a really good song is the hardest thing in the world. UMs can jam, but their actual songs, suck. i just think its sterile. and i am sure, plenty of musicians really like it. and dig on the constant theme changes....i am more Phish style in my jamming preference. really exploring and getting into something. not hitting it, then leave it.

13. TributetoME

TributetoME Member

Don't get me wrong, I abosolutely love Phish. But I'm not sure what songs of UM you've heard that could be described as sterile. I think the songwriting of Umphrey's is phenomonal. I guess it all just comes down to a matter of preference though. I respect your opinion.

14. solla._.sollew

solla._.sollew Member

word. i hate to bash them. its not really how i want to come off on it. i know so many people who love them. they are talented players, i just haven't been hit by them. i have the album anchor drops or something like that, just didn't like it....and all the shows i have seen just never grabbed me.

15. nearly.normal.jimmy

Just mah opinion, but as of now, they are too young, too full of talent and trying to hard (at least that is how it comes across to me).

They have too many notes and ideas in there head and trying to do to much at once so it gets a little lost in itself and it's own notes.

They can only pull this off because of their obvious talent, but I say, give them a few years to mature and realize every song doesn't need everything all the time. They are a fresh sound on a dying landscape tho.....

but I will have to say I don't really hear any soul in their music either. This is defining 'soul' as a style of music, not a condition of the heart..

16. TributetoME

TributetoME Member

I don't really know why less notes necessarily means more soul. Why should music be so simple? I'm not saying simple music is bad. I love the Dead and The Beatles. Both write for the most part simple songs. More complicated music is sometimes very interesting. I'm not trying to be a little asshole and argue about this, I just hear so many people say they don't hear any soul in Umphrey's music and it just sort of confuses me. I'd like to know who some musicians are that have soul. I have my own opinions, I'd like to hear others!

17. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

So far this is the best Umphrey's show I've been to and that includes their most recent New Years Eve show.

http://www.archive.org/details/um2006-11-04.flacf

Umphrey's McGee Live at The Eagles Ballroom on 2006-11-04 (November 4, 2006)

Disc 1:
    01 Ocean Billy
    02 "Jimmy Stewart"
    03 Blue Echo
    04 "Jimmy Stewart"^
    05 Ocean Billy
    06 Push the Pig
    07 Jam
    08 Partyin' Peeps
    08 2x2

Disc 2:
    01 Pay the Snucka
    02 "Jimmy Stewart"
    03 The Triple Wide
    04 "Jimmy Stewart"$
    05 The Triple Wide
    06 Pay the Snucka*
    07 Words
    08 Red
    09 In the Kitchen

Disc 3:
    01 Miss Tinkle's Overture
    02 E: JaJunk
    03 E: Hajimemashite
    04 E: JaJunk

Notes:
    ^ with Jake on keys
    $ with lyrics
    * with The Frayed Ends of Sanity (Metallica) jam

18. Kona Girl D

Kona Girl D Member

Just caught UM in Portland - jammin' show. Glad you found them. They'll be at great festival's this summer, too.

19. solla._.sollew

solla._.sollew Member

i don't think they need less notes. i love mad amounts of notes. i just don't like there notes.

20. nearly.normal.jimmy

It doesn't. Again I am defining 'soul' as a genre of music, not a feeling in one's body.
    James Brown is soul. Otis Redding is soul. Aretha Franklin is soul.
    Soul Music.
    Personally I do not hear any 'soul' in Umphrey's.
    Not saying the guys don't have soul, they just don't play it.

Playing 'with' soul and playing soul are 2 different things.
    You have to do the former to do the latter, but the latter is not neccessary to do the former.
    :)