UK man can't high five kids without being acused of pedophilia

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by unfocusedanakin, Feb 14, 2018.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Helicopter parents who are too afraid of the world. So any adult that is not them must be intent on molesting the kid. A bunch of nonsense that tells children they can not trust the world. This is why they will have crippling anxiety latter in life. The facts are something like that is just not likely and if it does happen it's more likely to be someone the child already knows and trusts. So someone the parents probably trust too.

I had a few older men like this when I was in school. Retired and all their kids have grown up and moved away so they really enjoy being around kids and helping them. It's better than watching day time TV all day. I even went to one of these men's houses so he could show me his model trains in the basement. Who knows what people would say about that now. But it was innocent, we played with trains his wife made us sandwiches. Most men who want to be around kids have those motives. :(

Lollipop man quits as council tells him 'high-fiving children could be grooming'

jpdonleavy likes this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Makes me wonder if there is more to the story though, if he raised alarm bells in multiple parents

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

the term lollipop man is odd

i had to google it to know he was what normal people would call a crossing guard

rollingalong likes this.
  5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

If he was low fiving them I could understand, but high five

[​IMG]

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Fear can lead to silly precautions...

Unfortunately it is a fact you can not trust the whole world. And it seems smart to teach that to young kids. But this is not the best way to put it mildly.

To be fair: I used to make (hilariously if i may say so myself :p) fun of overly worrying and protective aunts after every time I took notice of them on the odd family meetings. They seemed so annoying to me and not doing their kids a favor.
    Now I guess I realize one of the reasons i'm not that eager to have kids is because I might have the same feelings as them. I'm not sure at all I could raise kids as free as my parents. My cousins turned out relatively ok btw. And my respect for mums (even those aunts) has grown.

7. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

This type of overreaction is sickening. It really is a fear-based approach to interacting with children, and I've even read some ridiculous thing a while back where they are now recommending parents to be less affectionate with their own damn children, saying "wait till they hug you first". This was shared by a mother of two on facebook, actually one of my exes, where she actually appeared to agree with this notion.

It truly is unfortunate that we cannot simply trust just anyone, but fear-based attitudes such as this displayed by society are only driving generations further apart from one another. Simply going along with this type of mentality will only cause more harm than good, because children wouldn't get the right kind of education in terms of how to interact with older generations this way. When I was growing up, I was surrounded by people of all age groups. I learned from early on that people were people no matter how young or old they were. It enabled me to be able to interact with people of all ages without experiencing any fear, provided that they were not hostile, of course. I remember many years ago when I was walking home, I just happened to approach a young boy and his mother who appeared also to be walking home. The boy was very pleasant and actually said "hello" to me as we walked past each other, which I thought was wonderful and I replied with my own "hello", needless to say. The mother, on the other hand, GLARED at me the whole time. And I remember being concerned about the boy's well-being as I continued to walk home, thinking his good attitude toward life might just become ruined by that mother if all she could do was set bad examples.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It would be the way he looks at the kids, nothing to do with high fiving them.

He made certain parents extra cautious, some of them complained to the council after a certain amount of complaints any excuse to try get rid of him

9. Asmodean

^

Is that a toy train in your pocket or are you just happy to see me ;)

(in case people take this the wrong way: no chance i can be perceived as not mature anymore. ...ah well physically at least :p)

10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i would just tell him to his face please do not high five my kid....the fact is whats cool 20 years ago is not cool now,,,,a crossing guard should not be touching children NO MATTER THE REASON OR LEVEL OF INNOCENSE.......has nothing to do with grooming....its bad manners and it does border on creepy

the bigger issue here is that in England grown ups call crossing guards ''lollipop men''........

......in Canada the kids should stay the fuck away from men with lollipops :).....

the parents are correct in putting astop to this but incorrect in calling it grooming

Asmodean likes this.
  11. morrow

morrow Visitor

He isn't the only one..

They are saying whilst he is high fiving the kids, he is not paying attention.. it's those do gooders again!!! Or a way to get rid of them.. I can't believe there are any lollipop people still around..

Anger over lollipop man's high-five ban

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i honestly thing at lest 2 of my 3 grand kids would not extend a hand to a crossing guard even after becoming familiar with him....

13. morrow

morrow Visitor

I don't think I even remember having a lollipop man, not in my own childhood, or that of my kids.. men just didn't do it!
    To the point that lollipop man don't sound right..

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

16. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Very, very sad.....in the future we'll probably need a series of parent/state signed consent form just to look or smile at a child. Vigilance is good, hyper-vigilance is super-damaging!

17. Asmodean

Not sure what this pic is doing here?

But this is to get you in the mood for your inevitable future of music listening:
    [​IMG]

Ged likes this.
  18. morrow

morrow Visitor

They have been trying for years to get rid of lollypop ladies and men.. most crossing patrols have been done away with..

19. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I question the use of the word "Lollypop" to describe..."Lollypops."

20. morrow

morrow Visitor

So what's your question?

The word lollipop to describe the person stems from the shape of the instrument the person uses to stop traffic.. always has been that name....I can only go back to the 60s of course..

Maybe I should look that up!