UK: Do you feel safer where you live than you did ten years ago?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by odonII, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I live in a state where you don't need a permit to carry concealed and in general folk are much more polite than in the Peoples Republic of California where I lived for 4 decades +.

2. lode

lode Banned

I feel pretty safe because I don't watch the news.

3. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

California allowed open carry until rightwingers found out that black people were carrying. Reagan himself signed the ban into law.

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Back to Britain:-
    As someone who remembers the Black + White days of persecution that came with the 60S, The Miners Strike and battle of/for the pits of the 70s, the Riots of the 80s, Terrorist bombing of the 90s. - I feel the new Century has seen a different type of "fear" - the lack of investment within the economy has seen a change of social which (thanks to a certain ex-PM) the 'self' takes precident over communitiy liaison and appreciation/care for fellow 'man'.
    With age comes reflection, in life, Society and Morals things change - and experience sees more Awareness. Being safe can mean making Good 'risk assessments' though where there's a Wicked mind, there's a Evil Way -
    I don't Fear but I am Mindful.
    Bad things have, do and will happen - I think is more of Being mindful of one' circumstances, taking less 'risks' and ensuring the correct precautions are put in place - and then a degree of Hope

5. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

I feel that people are more distant from eachother. Especially in over populated areas where the sense of community is far and few. With the economy in its ever falling state, people put defenses up and barriers in order to protect what they've worked hard for, this creates more problems amongst the poorer people too. Tv and media is everywhere you look, pushing more shiny products down peoples throats, and those that can't afford them can feel left out , especially in a society that is becoming more and more dependant on these said products. This can cause agression, violence, and as we've witnessed - riots. The more and more dependant we become on technology and gadgets, the bigger the walls we build between ourselves, the bigger the divides become and the bigger the tension and agression becomes. - Thats my perspective on it anyway.

It all depends on your area of course, and the people who live there. But the rich/poor divide has always created problems, even way back in medieval times.

6. Ranger

Forget zombies, beware the yuppies!

7. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Well, I lived in California for 11 years and never had one crime happen to me and no one was anything but kind so I can't relate to what you are talking about. What part of California did you live in? It is a pretty giant state and completely different depending on what part you live in.

8. antithesis

antithesis Hello

''

I haven't seen that and it doesn't make sense since Oregon is north and east of California.

Northern California and Oregon like each other and we just both hate Southern California.

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I feel safe. And if I don't, I can just grab one of these:

[SIZE=-1]For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). [/SIZE]

10. Ranger

Mainly in San Francisco, but also points north as far as Anchorage. I have to point out that you weren't on the front lines during the '60s thru the '80s.

The sign is meant for tourists and migrating Califorians without Ore. visas.
    LOL