uhmm... need to gain weight but

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 20, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

heya. I need to gain alot of weight. I have no body fat or muscle. And my doctor says its a cycle, cant make one without the other.... so the only way I can grow is up (and 5"8 is enough..)
    I have no breasts, no calves, no nothing... well actually my inner thighs do touch at the top so I'm not skinny there lol
    anyways I'm a veg... and I eat junk food on occasion... my doctor says foods with fats in them.. like nuts and humus or w/e. the thing is, how long can I really eat crap like that? I eat my veggables and things, almost once a day I eat Mr noodles... which isn't healthy(chemicals) but seriously my body needs to bulk up. I don't menstruate properly... and my metabolism is incredibly quick.
    Any ideas? much appreciated.

2. abrandnewday

abrandnewday Member

who the hell is bjork

3. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Ugh, please don't tell a 16yr old to drink! Eat a more variety of foods. Not meat, of course. dont go the junk food route either. Pastas and rice. Hummus is yummy! I could eat it all day long. Maybe start excercising more. Eat high protein foods, too. Just have a balance between diet and moderate exercise. How much do you weigh, if you don't mind?

4. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Well, I have plenty of weight to spare. You can help yourself to some of mine!:p

But seriously, lots of carbs and fats. Fried potatoes are your friend. IF those don't bulk you up, I don't know what will. Are you vegan or just vegetarian? IF you can do the cheese, do lots of it. Just a suggestion.

5. We_All_Shine_On

I weigh 105. I am veg not vegan, so yeah, i'll eat cheese, thnx:)
    thanx every1
    and Bjork is a singer/actress

6. We_All_Shine_On

eeeww fried?! lol the problem is my arteries aren't invincible. all i do is get a bad heart, etc, really bad health, but not gain any weight.

7. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

as a still recovering anorexic, i'd say you need to go to a dietician, who will help you figure out an appropriate amount of calories,what your target wieght and bmi is, and what foods to eat to get you there. i found that helped a lot. the only downside is that hmo/ppo insurance companies will not cover the cost of going to a dietician for eating disorder patients. you or you parents will have to scrape up the cash, and it's fairly expensive, but worth it.
    peanut butter, cheese, milk, etc are good sources of healthy calories.

good luck to you.

8. NaturalMysticYum

NaturalMysticYum Member

i have the same problem. im 16 and ive barely broken the big 100...no boobs nothing..only my legs are like that too. so even when i do gain some weight, which dosnt happen and i eat so much crap food... it all goes to my legs and my arms are twigs... everyone thinks im annorexic even tho i eat constantly...its annoying..

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

do what your doc said to do
    eat healthy fats!! they're good for you, and good for your brain. nuts and hummus arent crap. those mr. noodles you're eating are crap (nutrient devoid, overprocessed bleh!!!)

eat avocados!! yummm

salads with lots of olive oil/viniagrette dressings, pile on the seeds (sesame, ground flax, sunflower), load on some cheese.

have you seen the new food pyramid? it has healthy fats on it...
    [​IMG]

you can eat healthy foods and still bulk up.

10. We_All_Shine_On

what the hell is hmo/ppo?

11. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

ah, i didn't notice you were from canada. hmo/ppo refers to different types of health insurance here in the u.s. i have no idea how things work in canada, but health insurance companies here only cover the costs of seeing a dietician if you are diabetic, or something along those lines.

12. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

You're in Canada -- have a donut :D (just kidding)

the post from nimh is good

Adding some exercise, like a brisk walk, can help increase your appetite, and also help with muscle tone. Do you have a dog?

...and i agree...ditch the noodles -- they're probably LOADED with sodium....

I was skinny, too, when I was in my teens (6'4"/150 lbs or 1.93m/68kg)

13. Stiff_Bizquette

Stiff_Bizquette Member

gotta eat meat, vegetables are good and all that but without a balanced diet, to much meat or vegetables can be bad. to gain wait simply consume more calories than you use. also reading this you might start over eating that is stupid simply eat untill you are full and then take one more bite that way your stomach slowly grows. about the smoking weed thing back on page one, i dont smoke but i think everything on earth was put here for a reason, weed was put here it is not man made so im sure it will help as long as not taken in excess.

14. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

You don't have to eat meat. You can easily have a balanced diet without consuming meat.

15. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

look at fruits and veggies with high sugars... like bananas or something... and carbs of course... peanut butter and banana sandwiches for breakfast, a bowl of pasta for lunch... perogies for dinner.... that's the way to do it.

16. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

Go easy on the fat. Nuts and olive oils are good. But for the other stuff (fried stuff, cheese, etc) they're unhealthy.

Avoid empty cabrs, like pasta or white bred. Eat food made with whole cereals.
    Don't forget the proteins (yogurt, skimmed milk, fish, soya, etc), as you gain weight the proteins are what will be used to grow muscles.

17. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I'm not a doctor, (says so on my card) but it sounds like you have anemia. (iron deficiancy) Symtoms can include irregular menstruation, low body weight, and dizzy spells. Women, vegetarians, and people in growth spurts are especially at risk, and it makes sence considering your all 3. Take multi-vitamins, (make sure they have iron and vitamin C) drink lots of juice, and although red meats best, if your commited to the vegitarian diet, be sure to eat lots of veggies. (spinach+)
    You might want to talk to your doctor about estrogen supplements, but your still kinda young, so i dunno. Ironicaly, If your eating enough, exercise will help stablize your metabolism, and can help you put on weight.
    Can also try creatine and some of those weight gain supplements, they taste like ass, but they do the job.
    http://www.outlands.co.nz/ironfor.htm

18. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

If you eat a lot of soy products, then you don't need to worry about estrogen supplements. But, a multivitamin is a good idea.

19. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Yeah, in retrospect, suggesting that a 16 year old take drastic hormone therapy may be a bad idea. Like i said, not only am i not a doctor, but i havent even consulted one in like 3 years. (I've had all my shots though)

Whats the soy for?

20. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

You need strength training! Cardio alone tends burn both fat and muscle. I mean, look at most runners--very lean without much muscle bulk. You don't need any equipment for the strength training. Just use your own body weight with exercises such as lunges, squats, push ups, situps, etc. And like others have probably mentioned, you need to up your protein intake. Maybe you can check out the Munchies forum and ask for some high protein, healthy recipes. Scarlettischasingroses is a great person to ask for pretty much any kind of recipe.