Ugly truth about therapy

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by 6-eyed shaman, May 16, 2020.

1. wrat

wrat Member

As someone who studied and worked in the Mental Health industry I agree to a point, SOME therapy can be helpful as can anti-psychotics, but what must be realized is turning your life over to an outside force can be extremely detrimental , I walked away from the mental health community when I realized by and large the vested interest was to keep you dependent thats not to say there are not good therapists/psychologists/psychiatrists because there are but they are the minority, if they are not offering solutions whats the point, also there are people who absolutely need psychotropics in order to have a level of functionality thats just human biology

Bilby likes this.
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Once someone is placed on medication for an extended period of time there is no control group, there is no way to compare the difference that same individual would or would not have changed if they had never been placed on that medication

3. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Presumably, the control group was used with other individuals before the drug was allowed on the market. That's the way with medicine. We don't usually do experimental controls for each individual who uses them. We just put warning labels on the bottle making them aware of the horrible side effects that they could experience, and let them or their doctor do the risk-benefit analysis. Frankly, after reading the warnings, I'd be afraid to take any of them.

wrat likes this.
  4. Therapy was just asinine to me. I don't have any need or desire to talk about my problems.

5. There is a lot of truth to what you say. One of the things about therapy is their mindset on views of genders. For example, many of them view us females being holy, sweet, kind. When a person comes for therapy about gender issues, and it about females that they have a way of beating around the table in what you share is not so. Male treatment does not do much with a male client when it about females. If the therapy has a female client, and she had gender issues that the treatment will be on the feminine side. Therapies will agree with a female client with her problem when it involves males—these mental health therapies brainwashed how they are to see things from their training and classes in colleges.

A 12-year-old boy comes for therapy, and he has issues with his mother and his three sisters. The problem he has is that his mother and sisters do not respect his self-space; their friends who are females do the same. His sisters and his mother expose him when he is naked. They open the bathroom door on him as he is bathing or peeing. They open the bedroom door on him when he naked in his room, and also when he is masturbating. His mother and sisters touch his genitals and nasty male remarks about him as a boy, If he has a female therapy that she will beat around the room that women and girls do not do this and it all in his mind. If he has a male treatment, who does not see women or girls do things like this that the client will get nowhere. There is so much gender junk that goes on with treatments, which makes the industry not what it is. If a 12-year-old girl comes in with the same issues with father and brother, they will be on her side all the way. More likely, the therapy will report this to social service. Social services still see that mothers and girls would never do anything to a boy, as I have shared. Female school teachers, most of the time, will not do anything a girl does to boys, but if a boy does something to the girls that the teacher is on it. The police still kiss up to women and girls. If a boy or man calls the police on a girl or woman that the police end up doing nothing to the female. The American culture is sick This gender basis is what destroying families and relationships.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2020
  6. To be honest, when you do go to one that most of the time your problem becomes more problematic. When you talk to them many of the time it as if you talking to the air and when you leave the treatment it as if you got nothing done. They got your money and that all they care about. Then they share what you talk about with other therapies and their friends.

7. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I admit I did not read all the pages.

But it seems like therapy wants you to throw away who you are.

Why Anti-Authoritarians are Diagnosed as Mentally Ill

Screw it I am going to paste the article. Better to click the source link above.

"In my career as a psychologist, I have talked with hundreds of people previously diagnosed by other professionals with oppositional defiant disorder, attention deficit hyperactive disorder, anxiety disorder and other psychiatric illnesses, and I am struck by (1) how many of those diagnosed are essentially anti-authoritarians, and (2) how those professionals who have diagnosed them are not.

Anti-authoritarians question whether an authority is a legitimate one before taking that authority seriously. Evaluating the legitimacy of authorities includes assessing whether or not authorities actually know what they are talking about, are honest, and care about those people who are respecting their authority. And when anti-authoritarians assess an authority to be illegitimate, they challenge and resist that authority—sometimes aggressively and sometimes passive-aggressively, sometimes wisely and sometimes not.

Some activists lament how few anti-authoritarians there appear to be in the United States. One reason could be that many natural anti-authoritarians are now psychopathologized and medicated before they achieve political consciousness of society’s most oppressive authorities.

Why Mental Health Professionals Diagnose Anti-Authoritarians with Mental Illness

Gaining acceptance into graduate school or medical school and achieving a PhD or MD and becoming a psychologist or psychiatrist means jumping through many hoops, all of which require much behavioral and attentional compliance to authorities, even to those authorities that one lacks respect for. The selection and socialization of mental health professionals tends to breed out many anti-authoritarians. Having steered the higher-education terrain for a decade of my life, I know that degrees and credentials are primarily badges of compliance. Those with extended schooling have lived for many years in a world where one routinely conforms to the demands of authorities. Thus for many MDs and PhDs, people different from them who reject this attentional and behavioral compliance appear to be from another world—a diagnosable one.

I have found that most psychologists, psychiatrists, and other mental health professionals are not only extraordinarily compliant with authorities but also unaware of the magnitude of their obedience. And it also has become clear to me that the anti-authoritarianism of their patients creates enormous anxiety for these professionals, and their anxiety fuels diagnoses and treatments.

In graduate school, I discovered that all it took to be labeled as having “issues with authority” was to not kiss up to a director of clinical training whose personality was a combination of Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich, and Howard Cosell. When I was told by some faculty that I had “issues with authority,” I had mixed feelings about being so labeled. On the one hand, I found it quite amusing, because among the working-class kids whom I had grown up with, I was considered relatively compliant with authorities. After all, I had done my homework, studied, and received good grades. However, while my new “issues with authority” label made me grin because I was now being seen as a “bad boy,” it also very much concerned me about just what kind of a profession that I had entered. Specifically, if somebody such as myself was being labeled with “issues with authority,” what were they calling the kids I grew up with who paid attention to many things that they cared about but didn’t care enough about school to comply there? Well, the answer soon became clear.

Mental Illness Diagnoses for Anti-Authoritarians

A 2009 Psychiatric Times article titled “ADHD & ODD: Confronting the Challenges of Disruptive Behavior” reports that “disruptive disorders,” which include attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and opposition defiant disorder (ODD), are the most common mental health problem of children and teenagers. ADHD is defined by poor attention and distractibility, poor self-control and impulsivity, and hyperactivity. ODD is defined as a “a pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior without the more serious violations of the basic rights of others that are seen in conduct disorder”; and ODD symptoms include “often actively defies or refuses to comply with adult requests or rules” and “often argues with adults.”

Psychologist Russell Barkley, one of mainstream mental health’s leading authorities on ADHD, says that those afflicted with ADHD have deficits in what he calls “rule-governed behavior,” as they are less responsive to rules of established authorities and less sensitive to positive or negative consequences. ODD young people, according to mainstream mental health authorities, also have these so-called deficits in rule-governed behavior, and so it is extremely common for young people to have a “duel diagnosis” of AHDH and ODD.

Do we really want to diagnose and medicate everyone with “deficits in rule-governed behavior”?

Albert Einstein, as a youth, would have likely received an ADHD diagnosis, and maybe an ODD one as well. Albert didn’t pay attention to his teachers, failed his college entrance examinations twice, and had difficulty holding jobs. However, Einstein biographer Ronald Clark (Einstein: The Life and Times) asserts that Albert’s problems did not stem from attention deficits but rather from his hatred of authoritarian, Prussian discipline in his schools. Einstein said, “The teachers in the elementary school appeared to me like sergeants and in the Gymnasium the teachers were like lieutenants.” At age 13, Einstein read Kant’s difficult Critique of Pure Reason—because Albert was interested in it. Clark also tells us Einstein refused to prepare himself for his college admissions as a rebellion against his father’s “unbearable” path of a “practical profession.” After he did enter college, one professor told Einstein, “You have one fault; one can’t tell you anything.” The very characteristics of Einstein that upset authorities so much were exactly the ones that allowed him to excel.

By today’s standards, Saul Alinsky, the legendary organizer and author of Reveille for Radicals and Rules for Radicals, would have certainly been diagnosed with one or more disruptive disorders. Recalling his childhood, Alinsky said, “I never thought of walking on the grass until I saw a sign saying ‘Keep off the grass.’ Then I would stomp all over it.” Alinsky also recalls a time when he was ten or eleven and his rabbi was tutoring him in Hebrew:

One particular day I read three pages in a row without any errors in pronunciation, and suddenly a penny fell onto the Bible . . . Then the next day the rabbi turned up and he told me to start reading. And I wouldn’t; I just sat there in silence, refusing to read. He asked me why I was so quiet, and I said, “This time it’s a nickel or nothing.” He threw back his arm and slammed me across the room.

Many people with severe anxiety and/or depression are also anti-authoritarians. Often a major pain of their lives that fuels their anxiety and/or depression is fear that their contempt for illegitimate authorities will cause them to be financially and socially marginalized; but they fear that compliance with such illegitimate authorities will cause them existential death.

I have also spent a great deal of time with people who had at one time in their lives had thoughts and behavior that were so bizarre that they were extremely frightening for their families and even themselves; they were diagnosed with schizophrenia and other psychoses, but have fully recovered and have been, for many years, leading productive lives. Among this population, I have not met one person whom I would not consider a major anti-authoritarian. Once recovered, they have learned to channel their anti-authoritarianism into more constructive political ends, including reforming mental health treatment.

Many anti-authoritarians who earlier in their lives were diagnosed with mental illness tell me that once they were labeled with a psychiatric diagnosis, they got caught in a dilemma. Authoritarians, by definition, demand unquestioning obedience, and so any resistance to their diagnosis and treatment created enormous anxiety for authoritarian mental health professionals; and professionals, feeling out of control, labeled them “noncompliant with treatment,” increased the severity of their diagnosis, and jacked up their medications. This was enraging for these anti-authoritarians, sometimes so much so that they reacted in ways that made them appear even more frightening to their families.

There are anti-authoritarians who use psychiatric drugs to help them function, but they often reject psychiatric authorities’ explanations for why they have difficulty functioning. So, for example, they may take Adderall (an amphetamine prescribed for ADHD), but they know that their attentional problem is not a result of a biochemical brain imbalance but rather caused by a boring job. And similarly, many anti-authoritarians in highly stressful environments will occasionally take prescribed benzodiazepines such as Xanax even though they believe it would be safer to occasionally use marijuana but can’t because of drug testing on their job

It has been my experience that many anti-authoritarians labeled with psychiatric diagnoses usually don’t reject all authorities, simply those they’ve assessed to be illegitimate ones, which just happens to be a great deal of society’s authorities.

Maintaining the Societal Status Quo

Americans have been increasingly socialized to equate inattention, anger, anxiety, and immobilizing despair with a medical condition, and to seek medical treatment rather than political remedies. What better way to maintain the status quo than to view inattention, anger, anxiety, and depression as biochemical problems of those who are mentally ill rather than normal reactions to an increasingly authoritarian society.

The reality is that depression is highly associated with societal and financial pains. One is much more likely to be depressed if one is unemployed, underemployed, on public assistance, or in debt (for documentation, see “400% Rise in Anti-Depressant Pill Use”). And ADHD labeled kids do pay attention when they are getting paid, or when an activity is novel, interests them, or is chosen by them (documented in my book Commonsense Rebellion).

In an earlier dark age, authoritarian monarchies partnered with authoritarian religious institutions. When the world exited from this dark age and entered the Enlightenment, there was a burst of energy. Much of this revitalization had to do with risking skepticism about authoritarian and corrupt institutions and regaining confidence in one’s own mind. We are now in another dark age, only the institutions have changed. Americans desperately need anti-authoritarians to question, challenge, and resist new illegitimate authorities and regain confidence in their own common sense.

In every generation there will be authoritarians and anti-authoritarians. While it is unusual in American history for anti-authoritarians to take the kind of effective action that inspires others to successfully revolt, every once in a while a Tom Paine, Crazy Horse, or Malcolm X come along. So authoritarians financially marginalize those who buck the system, they criminalize anti-authoritarianism, they psychopathologize anti-authoritarians, and they market drugs for their “cure.”

8. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

wer dun w/ therapy

9. Some therapy has helped me thru these 82 yrs..

Talk with MFC
    LifeSpring offshoot of Est
    Science of Mind principles
    Alanon, yep

I'm thankful for the above.

10. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

What is MFC?

11. Marriage Family Counselor

12. Calibabe39

Calibabe39 Members

Therapy does work. It is important to figure out your particular issue and by talking about it with a skilled therapist you can develop self awareness and make the needed changes which also may involve temporary or permanent medication. The alternative of trying to bury those feelings, urges or behaviours is not tenable.

but therapy requires you to be honest. If you lie to the therapist then that obviously doesn’t help and of course the skill of the therapist is important.