Ugh, The are still doing Earth Hour, so dumb

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Mar 30, 2019.

1. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Glad I’m not in the US. Or should I just say S?

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

0.0011% less pollution is the goal, woohoo, yay people power!

Yes, you DO need 3 months without power, we all need to do a shitload more than even that

I am grumpy for no reason? Because its all so stupid

Find the figure for maximum output of greenhouse gases worldwide so the temperature wont increase, then divide by the number of humans......it IS that simple

.....then every year re-calculate to compensate for the extra 65 million humans that didnt exist the previous year

What it really means is each of us giving up 97% of everything that produces greenhouse gases

Then cutting that by 0.85% a year to compensate for population growth

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  3. ugh...the are so stupid...the don't know what right is to do...the don't know and don't care...the are dumb DUMB! DUMB!

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

People and their environmental opinions while they type on their phones or computer monitors which cause some of the most pollution in the atmosphere to manufacture. >.>

Remember when y'all told Irminsul she was a hypocrite for criticising science while she typed on her phone?

Irminsul remembers. :kissing:

Mallyboppa and neonspectraltoast like this.
  5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Well, at least they weren't giving away an SUV

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah, just an airplane ride and their contrails and ruining the clouds. Haha.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You don't have to bring anything intrinsic to the table, I'm just encouraging you to explain your point that you were hinting at here:

but is already clear in your later contributions to this thread. It's apparent you think in nonsensical stereotypes here: like people who argue on the internet about improving the environment or reducing pollution are hypocrites by default because they use a device that costs energy or makes use of polluting technology. That's of course only the case if these people are arguing for getting rid of such technology, as some do.
    To project it on me is just not very thought out and insincere. I am arguing for using such tech and the industry that provides it responsibly. Hence why I for example am still on my first smartphone.

Same with your remark about cheese production. It's clear you brought that up because im in a business that does that. But your remark 'I'm just wondering which leg you're going to stand on?' makes clear its the same old motive: people talking about reducing pollution often annoy you and are probably nothing better than yourself so they should stfu or at least be told how you feel about them. That's your right of course but I'll explain how you go a bit by guilt by association here as well as eagerly but wrongly trying to make me look like a hypocrite:
    For one: there are many different ways to produce and process cheese. The way the business im in does it has absolutely no effect on river pollution or ground pollution.

Of course it takes energy to pasteurize and keep the unprocessed milk and fresh cheese cooled, but is that a problematic aspect? Lots of food and other products uses energy to produce/process and produces a certain amount of waste in the process as well: the problem is that we as a collective used to do nothing or far too less about that.
    The solution is most often not stopping with it altogether (unless its clear there's no viable chance on improving anything), but using innovation to reduce the pollution and waste, for example by using cleaner energy sources and finding ways to recycle or process waste environmentally friendly.
    But anyway, there are some other aspects to my business that made me decide it won't continue after my parents stop with it and retire in a year or so. I could continue it, in fact moneywise and from the perspective of being your own boss its pretty tempting, but I won't. Partly because of the imo unneccesary drain on the environment by the plastic packaging and daily transportation to the salepoints (its fresh as fuck :) ). Its a fine product but not worthy for me to go on with it. That I'm part of this business now doesn't feel wrong at all neither. If what you say about other cheese production is true (i don't doubt it counts for some, no worries. I suspect it mainly counts for those big industrial factories though, of which the cheese perhaps go to your fav fast food chain :D), mine is delightfully environmentally friendly in comparison.

8. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I’d be pissed if they turned these out. F1F57A5E-91F4-404E-A044-2BD6EE0F2420.png

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Seems a bit rich to sit there and tell people off about environmental issues when you work in an industry that's known to cause environmental issues. That's all I'm saying.

But yes I'm sure I'm being nonsensical, as nonsensical posts deserve a 10min justification. Yesmhmmm

10. I don’t celebrate earth hour.

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

So one hand it's all stupid and pointless yet also we need to do more. Don't you not believe in global warming too?

People like you thrive on being contrary. You don't want solutions you want criticism. No matter what it's not enough and that makes you feel good. It's easy to mock hard to fix.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think moral is, more needs to be done, but one hour a year doesn't actually do anything.

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the existence of this thread is self evidence, that many humans still need to be reminded, they don't have a planet b, which is rather the whole point of the exercise.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There's a lot of hot air blowing around in this thread, and it isn't directly caused by global warming. :sweatsmile:

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

No matter what 1 hour in 8760 is not enough?

No, its very far from not enough

16. I like how Asmodeon's always scolding people for their posts. It is funny.

McFuddy likes this.
  17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think its that wellknown that certain cheese production might cause huge ground or river pollution. Certainly not cheese production in our neck of the woods.
    I did a google search out of sincere interest and have the feeling you're off the mark anyway. Maybe you could share your sources if you just looked it up yesterday? Would really be appreciated :)

I was explaining stuff. Not justifying myself. But did you actually read it? Part of it explains my cheese company is not part of the industry in the first place (to be clear its a 3 person counting family business :p). But I'm still unsure which kind of cheese production is so polluting according to you, that apparently makes it so rich I dare to 'sit here and tell people off' about environmental issues. Although im not part of that so your assertion on me in particular seems a stretch at best and more likely nonsensical indeed. But if it sounds good why not try it right

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  18. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You are so funny, I have not laughed so much for ages, imagining people sitting down in the dark, getting cold and turning the heating up.

I wonder how many conscientious people turned their car lights off while driving down a pitch dark road.

It amazes me that since the introduction of condensing boilers that produce clouds of vapor, I can see how many people leave their heating on overnight and while they are out at work.The constant warm humid air breeds bacteria and they wonder why they all have colds.
    We just turn the heating off an hour before we go to bed and use a thicker quilt in winter.

By far my craziest memory was investing energy costs at a huge suburban cinema.
    The manager had ordered the engineers to run the heating 24/7 and since the supply air was heated. they were sucking in and heating 2000 cubic feet of air a minute.
    The dozy manager had ordered this to keep the cinema cat warm overnight £3,000 a month. LOL
    She also kept the building like an oven to increase her ice cream sales.

19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I too am puzzled, cheese production uses less heat than most other foods, Their is no harmful effluent and all the bacteria is harmless to human life. Cheese is one of the few manufactured products that does not require heating to 85 degrees centigrade prior to sale.

20. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Also there is every Christmas, and all those lights