Ugh, The are still doing Earth Hour, so dumb

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Mar 30, 2019.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I had to delay my participation, so to make up for it, I extended upon the hour and participated from 12:30 to 4:30 last night.

2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

You don't understand the effects that has on a power grid.

Also you would need to believe that there is an issue in the first place which you do not.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think he believes the issue, he seem to think its inevitable (due to 'China' and the increasing world population) so its better for us who are in a luxury position to just enjoy the ride while we can. Please correct me if I'm wrong here @Vanilla Gorilla , not my intend to mispresent your words or view. But this is what usually can be gathered from your arguments.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The effects what has on a power grid?

If everyone wants to pretend to be serious about it, how about going 3 months without power?

Irminsul likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I agree.

People do earth hour 8hrs a night anyway.

6. Asmodean

Sooo.. Am I right in my assertions? Or are you merely playing devils advocate on these topics? I mean you always seem to hint at the 'don't bother because of China etc.' strategy.

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

8760 hours in a year

1 hr tackles 0.011% of the problem

And just in regards to the part of the problem to do with people having their lights on

Probably only 5% of power consumption.

And then for only the parts of the world that ever can hear about Earth Hour.

Then as this thread shows, 10% of rhem that actually hear about it before Earth hour, then 25% of those that give a fuck

So 0.011%x 5%x 10%x 25%= 0.0000014th of the worlds population

.....for one whole hour

But uhhh, you know, as long as we are trying

Meanwhile in China around 13,000 babies have been born in the three days since Earth Hour (15.2 million babies in 2018)

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

God bless those babies. They are our future. :)

Mallyboppa likes this.
  10. Asmodean

Yes, you already made that point. I'm not concerned about earth hour.. But about countering disastrous global pollution in general. You often reply seemingly with 'don't bother'. I was asking are you coming from an apathic or nihilistic mindset, like lets just not bother and enjoy OUR time on earth, because at least we can. Or is there some will in you to keep the world in a bearable shape for future generations? If so, why are you arguing against anything trying to work on that. You always sound like its pointless because of countries like China, India and lesser extent Russia and the increasing world population.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I'm apathetic because I think things like Earth hour are pathetic?

Its not even remotely close to whats needed to be done, its tackling 0.001% of the problem

Switch off your lights for one hour ever year so mostly first worlders can pretend they are doing their part, when they themselves are the problem, generating up to 8 times more greenhouse gases than other people on the planet. Why isnt it Earth Day, Week, or Month?

Make everyone in the first world go without power for a month, watch what happens

Divide the "problem" into 2 parts:

1. Pollution

2. Human induced Climate Change

With Pollution, something as simple as the Ocean cleanup

The Ocean Cleanup

[​IMG]

Why cant the countries of the world get together and build a 100 of these things, we cant even do that. Something so simple

As for human induced climate change, everyone here on hip forums is by default being in the first world in he top 20% of worst offenders on the planet.

The number of humans and the amount of greenhouses gases they are generating are the two biggest metrics for human induced climate change

Want to actually halt the total amount of greenhouse gases going into the atmosphere, huge sacrifices need to be made, in the order of not owning a car, no street lights, no power in your home - ever.....and somehow make everybody else follow suite

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

He speaks an inconvenient truth

13. Asmodean

Sigh.. I explicitly stated its not about earth hour in particular! And I was verifying if you're apathic or nihilistic (or both). Not stating it. Because of the consistent way you argue on every topic related to countering pollution. I think my question was clear enough though. You must enjoy misinterpreting me on purpose.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Just reading about what the production of cheese actually does to the environment...
    Interesting....

But that's none of my business.
    *sips earl grey*

15. Asmodean

I assume he evades answering the question directly because I'm onto something :p

16. Asmodean

The state of our environment is everyone's business. If you want to bring something to the table here, please do.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't feel like I need to bring anything to the table. I do my own things that I feel are good for the environment plus a charitable person on conservation and wildlife. After what I just read about green house gasses, river pollution and toxic ground due to cheese manufacturing, I'm just wondering which leg you're going to stand on?

18. Spilled-Patchouli

Spilled-Patchouli Members

It really should only bother you when you're in one of the countries that uses that 'u'. In the United States, it's very pretentious to use the extra u. It just looks like you're trying to show off or something. If I was in Australia or the U.K. though, I'd use it.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The question I assume you are talking about is "why am I arguing against anything trying to work on that"

Again Earth Hour is pathetic, does more harm than good, just helps first worlders cement their denial. I turned off my lights for one hour last year, so Im doing my part

Criticizing ones government for not doing enough whilst still going through 500 coffee cups a year is also pathetic

Discussing human induced climate change without being able to mention the number of humans is the mind numbingly asinine

Just saying we all should try doesnt mean anything if we arent actually doing anything

20. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The effect of not using power for an hour. It means less pollution which is the goal. Pretty simple concept.

You don't need 3 months without power. The sun gives my house free power everyday. When there is no sun I can use traditional electric power if need be.

You are really grouchy for no reason on this issue. I feel like it's since you are applying a lot of other personal life choices to people who also make this choice. You hate those choices more.

Kind of like if I see a MAGA hat I can assume many other things I don't agree with. In general this person is known to be a rube now.