ugh, screw college.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Ocean Bionic, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Ocean Bionic

Ocean Bionic Hero of the People

Its quite the spectacle, watching them balance their lives in that kind of situation. Did he ever show you any of his 'work'? My buddies mom once whipped out a cadavers arm from her freezer. cool, eh? :cool:

2. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

yes, i totally agree with you on that. there are a lot of great jobs that require lots of college education. and there's nothing wrong with that. it's just not for me. i worked in the medical profession for a long time, and i did get a lot of on the job training and education, and even at the bottom of the totem pole, (well, not quite the bottom, but still) it was too stressful for me. some people thrive on that... more power to them.

and seamonster... what i dislike, is not college in general, or the things that people can accomplish and achieve with a college degree. i just dislike that the system has gone from hiring people with the best skills and qualifications to hiring the person who paid for the degree from the best school, regardless of whether or not they know how to do the job or have a good work ethic. in the past year, jobs i have applied to have been given to people younger than i, with absolutely no work ethic, simply because they have a degree, where i did not, despite the fact that i have real life work experience in the field. to me, that is unfair and unballanced, and something needs to be changed about the system that hires incompetent workers based on the fact that they have a piece of paper with a gold star and their name on it. in my opinion, that's a big part of what's wrong with the economy right now.

my other big problem with the system is that people are encouraged NOT to take time to figure out what they want to do as far as college, and instead go straight into college from high school. i just don't think that's the smartest thing for everyone. some people know what they want to do and have no doubts. other kids... well, some people just need to experience the world before they can figure out what they want to do.

3. Ocean Bionic

I once sat in on a drugs and society class and new way more than the teacher ever hoped to know, just because of my "hands on experience"

even if drugs and society professors spent time to do some 'self-educating', they would probably be better at their job!

4. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

i'm not making fun of those classes :confused:

i will repeat what i said in my last post - i think liberal arts educations should be more widely available.

yes, there is competition, yet some wholly capable people still can't do what they want to do. that says something about the system, and it all boils down to money. some community colleges are great, like the one in my city. some are terrible.

again, this isn't about me. i am fine. i will be successful. i have resources and brains.

this is about raising the status quo. everyone will benefit from that, though some people are afraid to believe it.

5. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I am sure its not unheard of to simply put together your portfolio and shop it around to get a job doing it either.

Why not give it a shot?

6. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Haha, well, he was often making his weekend rounds when I visited because they lived an hour away and I'd stay at their house on weekends. We ate a huge breakfast once, though, and Darwin made his breakfast burrito so fat that when he bit into it, egg shot out the bottom and hit the wall and his brother lauighed so hard he cried. But during the time I was dating Dar, his dad was treating one of my best friends' grandma's staph infection. That was pretty funny.

7. zilla939

exactly!

i cannot help that i have money just as much as people who don't can't help that they don't. i am lucky, they are not, and the system is, for a large part, capital rather than merit based.

8. seamonster66

i acutally wasn't counting you in on that one, I read that you wanted liberal arts educations to be more available.

I think the first step is reforming our ridiculously poor public school system, then we could move on to higher education. I believe that's where the real inequality lies.

9. zilla939

and i completely agree with you

:cheers2:

10. Ocean Bionic

I've done that actually and have had quite a few part time gigs. Personally, im in a good position. i'm just arguing for the sake of all those people who arn't as fortunate as I am. ohh ya... and for the sake of all those who think the system needs a bit of a redirection. 'cuz it really does.

11. Ocean Bionic

lol @ pressurized breakfast burrito. haha! Do you guys have taco cabana up there in the pan handle?

12. seamonster66

Ok I get it now, you are saying screw college because you didn't need it, well more power to you there :cheers2:

If they already have your talent, then they could just do what you did. i just think that people do actually learn things in college, and some grow their skills to the level they might need to be at there too....I get what some of you are saying about it being capital based rather than merit based, and you have a point, but in the end many do benefit from what they actually are taught there.

As far as the public school thing its always been pathetic as far as I can tell. i went to a fairly upper middle class school system, and remember in the mid 80's all of the books had sort of trippy late 60's/early 70's pictures

I believe for the most part that if you can do a job, you can do it, regardless of what school you did or didn't go too

of course I also believe if you are obeying traffic rules and driving safely you should never be pulled over and never get a DUI regardless of alcohol level, so I am not sure i am in touch with mainstream society

13. Kinky Ramona

I don't know...lol. I think all we have is Taco Bell, Bueno, and Villa, lol.

14. Ocean Bionic

haha, well ya. I didnt wanna go around tootin my own horn or anything. But from the work ive seen some friends do, they have what it takes more so than I do. the only difference is that they don't have the proper backing to get them to the next level where they can prosper from their craft. If we publicly encouraged self training, I think people would have a better understanding of responsibility for their career direction. not to mention it encourages critical thinking, which I think standardized education lacks completely.

but I understand how private and public college benefits people who are into more selfless jobs, public service, etc.

:cheers2:

15. Kinky Ramona

I really want to be a social worker. But I hear the pay is shit.

16. Ocean Bionic

ewwww. Taco No Bueno.:D well, if you're ever further south and spot a Taco Cabana, make sure to make a pit stop.

17. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I agree. I have 30k in student loans, which honestly, I don't think is that much for a degree at a good State University.
    Is there anyone here who has FINISHED their BA or higher, that thinks college is a huge waste of time and money?

18. seamonster66

It just took a while for me to distill what some of them meant, and I see the point of most of them, except pressed ratt who comes across like some hippy wandering around after woodstock sometimes

19. Kinky Ramona

I've never been to Taco Bueno. The commercials always look like somebody hurked on a plate and that's just not appetizing to me, lol. But Taco Villa is tha shit. Cheap and good as fuck. There's also this place called Rosa's Cafe and you build your own burritos there and they bake fresh tortillas all the time. They're also super cheap. My speech coach fed our whole speech team and my boyfriend when I was a senior for under $50 and we took home leftovers. That was 10+ people, one of which counted as two (sorry, once you top 300, you count as two people, lol).

20. zilla939

yeah? well taco cabana has a drive thru.

AND margaritas :D