ugh, screw college.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Ocean Bionic, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Ocean Bionic

Ocean Bionic Hero of the People

I'm sick of this 'mandatory' bullshit system.

Don't get me wrong. I think the pursuit of knowledge is vital for civil and cultural growth. It's just that we have the tools at hand to avoid spending thousands of dollars a year for job preparation.

Google alone will find you all the necessary lectures, tutorials and devices that will prepare you for a financially successful career. All you have to do is set your mind on the task at hand and find the information. you can achieve the same level of education from any state university by self schooling, yet, there isn't an accredited system for testing those who are self-trained.

because i'm not willing to fork over the time and money, I wont have much to show, other than a portfolio, to an employer. It's craaaaap.

2. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

thats what I said.

I'm poor

3. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Yeah I was looking at Walden University to fulfill the very few requirements I have for my M.E. and the few courses I need to finish my secondary in Far East Asian Poly. Fuck that. I'm 46, who is going to hire me? I can make more money a week building bookcases than I could as a construction liaison in Seoul...

4. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

college is such a fucking rip-off

perhaps if it was 10% what it costs now, then it might be worth it.

5. jrnyman

jrnyman kermit

I worked for a university for a couple years after I graduated... it's a total business. Barring certain trade educations, nursing etc. it's a complete waste of money in most aspects imo. I've got loans that are hanging over my head and will be for a while and I haven't used my degree in a while and don't forsee it happening in my immediate future. Education is one of the systems I'd love to see a major overhaul in.

6. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I liked it, and it wasn't expensive

but please, carry on, Random Thoughts is for whining and being negative!

7. Ocean Bionic

well I hear Seoul is nice around this time of year.

but, exactly. you make some great stuff. you're doing what you love, and I assume you trained yourself, and for that, you should have more crediting to show for what you can do.

I could go to DianeFlacks and still be more impressed by what you made in your garage.

8. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

8 grand a year for the school I was going to go to. Not terrible by any means, but I couldn't come up with the money for it. I was wanting to go to school, but now I think I might wait and see what happens with the economy, because I don't want to waste a shitload of money and time for something that doesn't even matter.

9. Ocean Bionic

I dont think im being negative at all. Im posing a question;
    Why the hell isnt there a system for people like me who have the self discipline to figure shit out on our own?

but now im curious, what do you have to show for the time and money you spent?

edit: kaaay, maybe a little negative.

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I dropped out of college because I knew from the beginning that it's a joke. It's just more indoctrination from where high school left off. Except this is brainwashing you actually have to pay for out of pocket. At this point I don't even really see any purpose in anyone going to college. It's not like there are going to be jobs available for most of the career choices people are making anyway.

The best education I have received is my own self-education.

The job I have now is sufficient, granted that I don't get laid off.

11. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

There is, become an apprentice in a trade and learn that way.

I couldn't have had any job since I got out of college without a college degree, except 1 I had for about 5 months.

12. Ocean Bionic

thats true. Internships will work for the most part. But I would still love to see a state funded program that credits self trained artisans, craftsmen, and the like.

13. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Can't self-trained people take tests to get certifications? Daniel was going to take a test to get certified in something car-related, because he's been working on cars his whole life and car audio systems about half of his life. Only reason he didn't was because it cost money that we didn't have the last time they were giving the test.

14. Flannelwearin'gal

Flannelwearin'gal .robert.johnson.fan.

Dude, I can't wait till college!
    I really want to get into Truman State University, I don't know if they will except me, but I want to go sooooooo bad. I'm gonna be an Art Teacher :)

15. Ocean Bionic

there are self-study certification programs. but I really don't know how legitimate they are. I think most of them certify computer and technology related skills alone.

bah, anyone wanna hire me. im good at what I do!

16. Mr. Mojo Risin'

Mr. Mojo Risin' Senior Member

You're too hot to be a teacher.

17. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

I only went to college for about 7 months. the only good it did me was a 3 month course where I got a certificate for med office only 1000 dollars and you get to take the state certified test..but jobs usually want up to a year of experience, so you might have to continue,...but it beats the hell out of paying 20,000+ for bullshit classes

18. Ocean Bionic

ah, ya. I forgot college is really about meeting chicks and getting shwasted face every other day.

19. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

college = false consciousness

20. Mr. Mojo Risin'

Mr. Mojo Risin' Senior Member

Beer bong extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme!!11