Typewriters

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Death, Mar 18, 2011.

1. reb

reb Member

if the electricity ever goes out, and one is writing a book, or running a business, it's long hand (whichmany people suck at) or typewriter. laugh all you like...look at fukushima. anyone who wants to communicate in some of those places is using 'pony express', or a radio charged off a generator.

2. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I'm thinking one of these days it'll be beneficial to keep stuff like that around should society go to hell.

3. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

With people's terrible spelling and math skills these days, if something were to happen to all those shiney little toys people are glued to many things would go to shit.

4. riddfanff

riddfanff Newbie

A typewriter is a mechanical or electromechanical device whereas bluetooth label printer is a peripheral device. Typewriters cannot print any kind of bar codes but the printer has the ability to print bar codes very easily.

5. riddfanff

riddfanff Newbie

So, what do you think is the best one to consider?

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Why are you asking yourself this question?

Are we waiting for a spammer with the answer?

7. riddfanff

riddfanff Newbie

Asking from the community

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

batteries. and solar, wind or falling water, to charge them, or in other words, not dependent on availability of fuel. or if you do have a lot of combustible vegetation and the will to chop it, you could rig up something powered by steam. of course you need to have this designed and built in advance. nothing particularly wrong with grunt powered everything. except the lack of flexible capabilities. when i was little growing up, most of what we had was simple mechanical. i was very frustrated though, by the lack of such tools being able to keep up with what i was able to envision in my mind. people did read more and write more. more interesting things then today's drama crap being written and publishers willing to print things without the instant gratification the limit themselves to today. kind of ironic that. i don't want those frustrations. but i do wish more of what interests me being written. there were great stories about alien environments and i wish more of them still were being published. but now i can make not just pictures but 3d environments i can move around in as if they were real. of things i can have because i can't afford what i would need be allowed to build and make them. because when only the banks can afford to actually own anything, and you're not allowed to build with a mortgage on land. we can build the worlds our minds can create, inside the computers. we need to get rid of the idea its doing the world a favor to not allow people to be comfortable in poverty.

a typewriter is a backup if your perspective is word oriented. a pocket calculator, or better an old fashion adding machine if math is your thing. but paint, you need a space you can make messes in that won't be in their own way and in the way of everything else. today's world physical space is at a premium. not all of us are so fortunate to have access to the use of it.

9. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

They are fun. I get nostalgic remembering the satisfying click clack of typing on my old Underwood.

But, what a pain in the ass when even a small mistake occurs. With my clumsy fingers I would never want to go back to those wite-out days.

themnax likes this.
  10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

IBM Wheelwriter 7000 with interchangeable type fonts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I thought I was lucky to be able to give my electric one away. She gave me some petrol money.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

one of my great frustrations in the 1950s was how difficult it was to make pictures with them.