Two things you can do to save money and help the environment.

Discussion in 'Recycling' started by ChangeHappens, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

1. Do not buy electronics new.

Reasons: Electronics are made through processes that involve oil based technologies and substrates. Always, the processes through which they are created are highly toxic and increase the diseases felt by everyone. They are very expensive and you can get many of these electronics for cheap or free if you think about where to look.

2. Do not buy clothes.

Reasons: 25 % of the worlds total pesticide usage goes towards growing cotton. Pesticides are 100% derivative compounds that are brought forth through fossil fuels. Find clothes at losts and founds, garage sales(at the end of the day when they just want to give it away), buy it at second hand shops.

These are the biggest, SMALL acts easy to incorporate into your daily life that have huge impacts collectively.

2. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

Not to mention, you can find some bad ass clothes from vintage and thrift stores.

3. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

yeah actually you can. I like lost and founds because its newer stuff and doesnt have the faded look.

I just got a new pair of shoes, really sheek and comfy outside a salvation army drop off location. I also am bout to move out of my parents and I got a NICE lamp, NICE dinner set and a huge box of jumbo freezes LOL

4. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

im trying to be a raw food vegan but I keep slipping...im at about 80-95 % raw foods so freezes, their chemicals wont work. Like who I am matters, were all gonna die, but I plan on controlling the 95% environmental variable in cancer rates, 5 % being out of my control(genetics)

5. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

thrift stores are great if your of average size and stature,if your like me,not so much.. i have never been able to find a single pair of pants that fit me at a thrift store.

i have problems finding them at the retail level.

6. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

You must be really tall. Whats your height, 6'7 or are you really short like 5 4?

Funny, out of all the things we can talk about, we talk about height.

Oh hey, your doing that self sustainability thing, how is that going along?

I would love to hear anything you got. I remember one story about your wife, kicking some drunk dudes ass. Was that you or has my mind failed me, like it usually does?

7. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

im 6'4" and on a peak weight month may weigh 180.. i wear a 32x36 pant.

yes we live about 90% sustainably .

yes that was my old lady. thats what happens when you open your doors to any and all,some folks just dont respect what you offer.

8. Kizen

Kizen Member

also shit on your vegetable patch

9. Sebastunes

Sebastunes Member

there is a bill to reduce c02 gas .... isn't c02 gas what plants need to survive?

10. werelookingforathirdone

werelookingforathirdone Member

all i can say is wow!!

11. indydude

indydude Senior Member

What lost and founds? I've been buying used stuff for years. Why pay for new and sales tax sucks.

12. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

recycle, bicycle....;-)

13. Ludicrous

Ludicrous Member

Here's another one: Don't throw your old broken electronics away. Recycle them, and make sure the recycling company you send it to is actually recycling it, not sending it to a landfill and not sending it to be 'recycled' in third world countries by small children. A lot of times there is a small fee to recycle it correctly, but if you buy an electronic you should take responsibility for it, and make sure it is correctly recycled.

These are good tips, and ones that you don't often see on those "what you can do for the environment" lists. Especially the clothes. I get so angry when I see people with a lot of those "go green!!" shirts. If you really want to go green you won't buy the shirt at all!! And don't get me started about those so called "sustainable" mansions you hear about. There is nothing sustainable about a family of four living in a 6000 square foot house.

14. stonezeppelinpilot

stonezeppelinpilot Member

Who's going to buy new electronics then?

15. Holy Ancient Megumi

Holy Ancient Megumi Member

recycle glass jars from the groc store , my roomate and i areee this is a quick cheap way to get glasss that are neat and are practical . when we buy tositos dips , olives , honey jars <glass> we send them through the dish washer we have almost as much recycled glasses as we have non recycled from were ever he got them from . i love it u can also save the tops and us it to store loose tea in the fridge that is what i have done w some of them for my yerba mate.
    instead of buying currtians u can use tumb tacks to hang blankets that are not that heavy up to help keep the heat bills down and also u can peg them up to one side and let in light then at night it blocks out street traffic lights and other anoying lights that may happen by .
    recycle reciptes or how ever it is spelled , i use them for book marks , scrap to draw on when iam out and about , i use it as a mak shift phone book for new friends .
    if u are a smoker u can recycle coffee tins the big ones that is what my old roomate did , and he likes it for the fact that all he has to do is at the end of the month is empty and there we go .
    barder is allways something that is in a way recycling and exchanging of ppls crafts or ideas . u not only save Green but it is green too
    also u can keeep old news papers and junk papers like grocs ads and what not and use them for wrapping paper , this is my family tradition the only thing u would have to buy is tape , and if u are paying for newspaper services then u already payed for the wraping paper .
    use groc bags for trash bags weather in the car , or at home if u cant buy trash bags , we cant beause we are on ebts .
    also u can recycle books u have finished buy selling them to a book store like mekays books in manassas , or donate them to the libray , or give them as gifts . i will say most ppl tho if u are a romance novel lover would probly regift them to some one else or donate them to were ever.
    i know this one doesnt sound like eco friendly but buy an oil lamp for when the power goes out , becase even tho u have candles , the oil lamp tho it uses petrolum base oil , u can refill it and clean it out when not in use .
    there has been many occasions that i wish that my friends had one , when we lost power our candles didnt last the 3-4 days w o power . at least this is wha ti think is eco friendly becuase it does put off enough light to read by .
    use old scratched cds for reflecting light , hang them together by fishing line and hang them on an oposin gwall from a window during the day time u will have more light in the room , u can even hang them at diffent lenghts from the cilling to bounce light around .

16. Xac

Xac Visitor

Yes trees turn CO2 into O and we turn O into CO2. That's the whole reason why we really need trees. Of course there will always be CO2 as long as there are creatures who breathe O.

Problem is, there is more O being turned into CO2 than CO2 turned into O. Partly because of the worlds population of breathers and partly from human industry. Long story short, reducing CO2 levels will return the balance, not kill off all the trees.

17. I_Human

I_Human Member

Stop driving your car saves money and helps the environment.
    It's a tough one to give up in this day and age but it can (and should) be done.

18. KristinWard

KristinWard Guest

I also recommend recycling the electronics when the go bad. There are a lot of different ways to go about it. The company I work for computer disposal company for recycling electronics. Best Buy has a drop off or you could do it yourself Many parts can be reused and there are some rather interesting items in some electronics. For example computers generally contain gold, silver and platinum:2thumbsup:.

19. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Always buy used. It's cheaper, better for the environment, and you're not contributing to the mainstream shopping obsession.

20. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I prefer recycling electronics myself. In that I disassemble the whole thing. Remove the solder and electrical parts, itemize and catalog them and use them for making whatever gadgets I want. Saves me money.