TV - The True Opiate of the Masses

Discussion in 'TV' started by WhatIs, May 30, 2004.

1. WhatIs

WhatIs Member

It does for modern society what opium did for the Chinese under the British. Makes them easy to control.

TV is pretty much a free thought eraser. It has replaced actual discussion and artistic activity with mindless absorption of mostly bad ideas and behaviors.

2. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

The same could be said for the internet ;)

I agree, tv is 99.9999% mindless corporate dribble. Which is a shame because it could be a really useful medium. I lived 6 months once without a tv in sight and that was probably the most productive time of my life!

3. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

I feel the need to rebuke your argument, but the since the TV told me to go out, buy Nike shoes, drink Pepsi, and listen to commercialized hip-hop, Ill go do that first.

4. MeatWagon499

MeatWagon499 Senior Member

TV is bad because all you do is sit there and listen to whatever they want to tell you, the internet has probably saved alot of people from being sucked into all that. The TV shows today are all the same too, all reality shows, or the ones where they fix cars up and motorcycles, you can only watch crap like that so many times until you just turn it off and go do something else. For being able to control everyone they sure do a shitty job of it.

5. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

This was in "Calvin and Hobbes" awhile ago....

6. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

If you ask me, motorcycles were much more fun when the general public hated them, and the people who road them. Now everybody has one.

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I don't agree with that. I watch TV (though seldom), but it's mostly the news channels or the History or Discovery Channel.

And yes, like a person above said, you can say the same thing about the internet, too.

But with both, it's the content that matters most.

8. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

It depends on what you watch. I rarely watch but when I do I love Worlds Apart, Doctors Without Borders (both on the National Geographic Channel) and National Geographic Explorer on MSNBC. I also occasionally watch the news. Anything can be bad if you use it in excess. I control what I watch and I've actually learned alot from tv. I usually just mute it during commercials.

-Kate

9. UTcolorchangn420

UTcolorchangn420 Member

I love watching National Geographic.