TV, light show - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by NakedInfluence, Dec 7, 2020.

1. NakedInfluence

NakedInfluence Member

I've read so much about TVs being terrible and that kids under 2 shouldn't watch any. It does worry me how much our son loves looking at phones or other screens if they happen to be in sight. Apparently he just sees light which activates something in his brain and can't render what he sees into the images grown up eyes see. At sensory class there's always a disco ball and lights shining all over the room so is it really that bad?

2. Calmerchameleon

Calmerchameleon Members

I'm no expert on the matter but I use the general 'everything in moderation' approach to parenting and TV and screen usage is no different. I, personally, believe that phones and tablets are more dangerous to children for not the actual radiation front he screens but from the addictive nature of them.

3. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

A light source is just that, it never really goes out of focus so there is less strain on the eyes, a tv or screen of any type is an entirely different animal and requires the eye to focus. So many parents stick their kids in front of a tv, or stick a tablet or phone in their hand without realising the damage they are doing. My eyesight was always almost perfect until about 10 years ago (45 at the time) then I needed glasses, the optician told me it was all down to using computers.
    At such a young age I'd be severely limiting the amount of tv a child watches, and as for phones or tablets, no way, a childs eyes are far easier damaged when they are developing than they are in later years. You watch, in about 20 years we'll see a lot more kids wearing glasses as they grow up, probably around the age of 6 or 7 and it will all be down to lazy parents just sitting them in front of a screen to keep them quiet when they were younger, my sister is like that, one of her kids had to start wearing glasses at the age of 4 and it was all down to her letting the child watch a tablet for hours on end.