Turkey Woes in Woburn, Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ~Zen~, Nov 24, 2022.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The answer is yes, and they're everywhere

10-15 years ago, you might see 2 or 3 in your backyard and think that's kind of cool, but now when they travel, they come in force.

You'll see no less than 10-15 and they've become a menace

~Zen~ likes this.
  3. ~Zen~

Outrageous!

Hell spawn!

hotwater likes this.
  4. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

The REAL Planet of the Apes!​

~Zen~ and hotwater like this.
  5. ~Zen~

My question is: Why aren't you all putting them marauding murderous turkeys on your table (after suitably cleaning and roasting)?

Free food!

In California one year I was riding down the road with a crazy guy from Alabama, we watched a turkey get hit by another car... he had the vehicle stop so he could run over and grab that bird before anyone else... and yes, it was delicious. About a 15 pounder as I recall.

DrRainbow likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

There is a flock (gaggle/rafter/gang) here on my property. It splits up during the spring as the individual females have their chicks and regroup in the fall. There is usually about 14 or so birds in the flock. They are usually pretty skittish and don't like to be seen... As far as eating them? I don't hunt...

Back in the 70's they almost went extinct and it was one of the "most successful" reintroduction projects ever done, except for one problem... Stupid humans didn't realize there were different subgroups and the wrong subgroup often ended up in the wrong locations. This ended up with over populations in some areas and under populations elsewhere. If there are two different subgroups in the same area they rarely interact or interbreed, even 40+ years later... Seems the turkeys are smarter than humans. The group here seem to be balanced with the area.

DrRainbow and hotwater like this.
  7. hotwater

I wouldn’t exactly classify them as smart,

When I worked for Gillette, we had a turkey which hung around the building for two days looking into the reflective glass in the belief it was looking at another turkey – either that or he was more of a self-centered egomaniac than Donald Trump

8. Tyrsonswood

I can say the same thing about quite a few humans... So there is that.

9. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Too dangerous without the right pokemon.

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

~Zen~ likes this.
  11. Tyrsonswood

I was looking out the front window a little while ago and there were over 25 Turkeys in the front yard... Biggest flock I've seen yet.

The Tom was huge... Grocery store "huge" (Technically small for a store bird, but big enough to be in a store) Wild Turkeys are not genetically disposed to being anywhere near the size of captive bred birds. I would doubt they would taste the same either... Not that I would eat one of these birds, anyways.

~Zen~ likes this.
  12. hotwater

~Zen~ and Tyrsonswood like this.
  13. ~Zen~

Dinosuaric indeed :)

Have you ever heard of a cassowary?

Where I stayed in Queensland, Bingil Bay, it was surrounded by dense rain forests and home to these flightless huge monsters. Walking the trails we would see their scatter, as they ate these huge seed pods for snacks.

One day for a real experience a full grown cassowary was rummaging thru our garden patch and roaming the front yard. He/she was out there quite a while.

Bet they'd be good eating, but a protected species fortunately. They will kick your ass and rip out your guts with their giant claws...
    [​IMG]

14. hotwater

Never heard of it had to look it up.

It’s a flightless bird, sometimes referred to as a Dino-bird, and the female is dominant. The males raise the young and they keep their distance from the females until needed.

While the birds are flightless, they can jump to 1 ½ meters to reach fruit on low hanging branches, not sure if you observed this type of behavior but it would have looked very odd.

~Zen~ likes this.
  15. ~Zen~

To see one hopping would have made my day! The bird did find lots to eat however :)

hotwater likes this.